St. Petersburg Private Tour Alla or other

Hi, we are looking into booking a tour with Alla or another private company in June 2009. My question is does anyone know on average what it would cost for a day trip with these companies for 2 people in a private car? Is it worth it to do a private tour?

For our late July 2008 trip with four people for two days with Anastasia, the cost was about $1600, total. If it is only two people that cost might be around $1400, depending on what you are doing and where you are headed. Having four or six people is ideal in being more "efficient" in sharing that fixed cost of the guide and driver over four or six people, not just spread among only two people. If you have four or six people, there will be a little higher cost with a van in place of a smaller sedan. Doing a private tour makes a huge, huge difference in being so much more personal and allowing flexibility to see what you want and need. In checking our options, we really liked Anastasia as she was very responsive and flexibility in making things fit our needs. Some of the other companies we found to be slow in responding, not listening or understanding your needs, etc. Some mostly wanted to fit you into their set "formula". That might work for some, but for our needs, we wanted to have the flow and pace right. If you need more details or have added questions, search some of the other posts on this Baltics segment or just ask. Don't be shy!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Great info! I am actually leaning toward Anastasia after reading a lot of the posts here. Which places did she take you to and what did you enjoy most? We are not that into museums but like church's and things. Thanks!

In late July, we had three days in St. Petersburg. Our first day was doing the Moscow one-day trip through our Crystal cruise ship. It was a long, but super day there. Seeing the Kremlin Palace, Red Square, etc. was a "once in a lifetime" experience, especially to understand fully Russia's complex and long history. We got back to the ship a little before 1 am. We started our custom tour with Anastasia a little later on the second day in Russia to allow a better timing situation.

Not like museums? Don't think of the Hermitage as just a "museum". It's hundreds of years of special history! Great rooms and sights out of the windows. World-class architecture, etc. Loved it ALL! This five-building "Winter Palace" is so unique and spectacular. Peterhof fountains are so great, etc., etc. It's hard to say what was our one or two most favorite. It is the whole, total experience, especially when you are not wasting time in line, being inefficient in your schedule/plan.

Here is what we did:

THURSDAY, JULY 31, 2008

10 am, depart Crystal Symphony

11 am-12:30 pm, Catherine's Palace, including Amber Room

1:30-4 pm, Peterhoff & Gardens

4-4:40 pm, Hydrofoil to downtown

5:15-6 pm, St. Isaac's Cathedral

6-7 pm. Private Canal Cruise, just our private guide and us as two couples

7-8 pm, Savior on the Spilt Blood Cathedral, plus a little around the downtown and then return to the ship

This busy day was not tiring as we had a nice mix of riding, walking, riding, no long lines, seeing, riding, walking, etc.

FRIDAY, AUGUST 1, 2008

8:30 am, Depart Crystal Symphony, shopping stop enroute, more photo opportunities

9:30 am, Hermitage early admission (ahead of crowds and normal 10:30 am opening). No rushing. Plenty time for questions, pictures, soaking up the history, architecture and great art. We brought pre-arranged boxed lunches from the ship and had a great picnic lunch in a our van parked on the great square overlooking Alexander Column and the military headquarters on Palace Square. We could have dined in a regular restaurant, but this saved time and was a perfect outdoor setting in a "to die for" location with a world-class view.

1:30-3 pm, Yusupoff's Palace, just the four of us and our guide in this historic palace.

3-4 pm, Shopping/other options to see or do in main St. Petersburg

5 pm, return back to the ship where they had local dancers do a great show

6 pm, ship departure

It was a super great three days! For people who love to ask questions and take pictures, this was a great experience in two of the most special cities in the world. Lots done and seen in just three days. Below are some added pictures to share a little sampling of what we saw in St. Petersburg.

90435024_1-Peterhoff-FG.jpg.d0f054a9f28f25b10c0fc9a4b599c0f5.jpg

1492704389_3B-StPPPFortress460x.jpg.eb5ebc46ba67f14c176be0196938d469.jpg

697709144_4-StPDancers318x.JPG.fea4a52afeb1d6121fb79bc5858a6ea9.JPG

639748759_3-HermitGr.JPG.211e1a5b8a5458ec9004fed5e8bb15cf.JPG

Sounds great and the photo you provided of Hermitage is helpful for sure! looks great! I'm thinking of booking only one day of a more private tour with Anastasia and then the second day just do a tour with the cruiseship...still researching though! Thanks again!

THANKS! Do more research and give ALL of your many options added thought. The pictures I posted are small and only a very, very small sampling of the super great architecture and many treasures within the Hermitage. The two main Cathedrals are totally awesome. Let us know any other questions. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

which two main cathedrals do you refer to? the spilled blood and st. isaacs? I was hoping to see these 2.

Yes, it is those two cathedrals. Their interior details are really spectacular. You don't want to miss either one. Below are some pictures to give you a little sampling both outside and inside.

1342738060_1C-StPCathA.jpg.f06c67e636545be2b9f66c4e60c8b738.jpg

1350446681_1C-StPCathB.jpg.9774351203de52f343585b6c8029d08e.jpg

1864673669_1C-StPCathC.jpg.ce2fdf8b14ca2c85f81075bd3c1f0b9e.jpg

105078654_1C-StPCathD.jpg.2fdf9941029c407f9746cbcb631b2298.jpg

205013875_1C-StPCathE.jpg.ec0bd86e342d392a7e855b76593af008.jpg

If you are interested in churches, another place we found very interesting is The Holy Trinity Alexander Nevsky Lavra. The Trinity Cathedral is still a working church, and there are the 2 cemeteries - Lazarev and Tichvinskoye where persons of importance are buried (scientists, authors and poets, artists - people like Dostoyevsky, etc). you cant' take pictures inside Trinity Cathedral, but I found it very interesting to see firsthand the "locals" devout beliefs. Fodors had a good review of the Lavra or do a google search. In the meantime, here is a link to my photos. The Alexander Nevsky Lavra photos begin on page 6. http://travel.webshots.com/album/569322634ILqBiT?start=60

Possibly you could work out a day for a private guide to visit churches and then the other day take a ships tour that includes the Hermitage. We personally did not go to the Hermitage. We only had 1 day and there is SOOOO much to see. I personally do not regret missing the Hermitage, but thats me. Hope you enjoy your visit.

Thanks for this info! It all sounds great. I'm working with Anastasia and she is really great!

At the Hermitage and these two key Cathedrals (plus other places), one of the big surprises is the great interiors and their superb detailing and craftsmanship. Below are some pictures with added details and showing many of the fine touches you can experience there at the Hermitage. The floor, tables, walls, ceiling, etc. are all very unique and special. All of the words such as majestic, imposing, rich and luxurious come to mind. And the art treasures are nice, too!!!

1C-HermtA.jpg.0358bdd7e2e5a42645695f858cbb3537.jpg

1C-HermtB.jpg.9eb8ebbe97cc875cdb5f280a7e781d14.jpg

1C-HermtC.jpg.7633637926d1d57eeb7ad4019d33f99b.jpg

1C-HermtD.jpg.814a1deab855a1204eb52c76f9bdb4ac.jpg

1CHermitE.jpg.3961f4f4bc697ff0fb7022caa25923c9.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
For our late July 2008 trip with four people for two days with Anastasia, the cost was about $1600, total. If it is only two people that cost might be around $1400, depending on what you are doing and where you are headed. Having four or six people is ideal in being more "efficient" in sharing that fixed cost of the guide and driver over four or six people, not just spread among only two people. If you have four or six people, there will be a little higher cost with a van in place of a smaller sedan. Doing a private tour makes a huge, huge difference in being so much more personal and allowing flexibility to see what you want and need. In checking our options, we really liked Anastasia as she was very responsive and flexibility in making things fit our needs. Some of the other companies we found to be slow in responding, not listening or understanding your needs, etc. Some mostly wanted to fit you into their set "formula". That might work for some, but for our needs, we wanted to have the flow and pace right. If you need more details or have added questions, search some of the other posts on this Baltics segment or just ask. Don't be shy!

I am new to CruiseCritic so I hope I am doing this correctly. We are looking into touring with a private company May 28 and 29,2009. We have contacted Anastasia about forming a 4-6 person group. Was the sedan comfortable for 4 tourists or would you suggest trying to form a 6 person group for a van. Thank you.

I am new to CruiseCritic so I hope I am doing this correctly. We are looking into touring with a private company May 28 and 29,2009. We have contacted Anastasia about forming a 4-6 person group. Was the sedan comfortable for 4 tourists or would you suggest trying to form a 6 person group for a van. Thank you.

YES, for the four of us with Anastasia, we had a Mercedes van that would be like a Chrysler mini-van here. The driver and guide sat in the front. It worked well. If we had a larger group, then they move up in size with a larger van, etc., up to mini-bus and/or bus. Let us know any other questions.

Hi, we are looking into booking a tour with Alla or another private company in June 2009. My question is does anyone know on average what it would cost for a day trip with these companies for 2 people in a private car? Is it worth it to do a private tour?

Yes it is worth doing a private tour!!!! When you look at what the ship charges versus what any of the tour companies in St. Petersburg charge, you will know.

We were a party of six and had a marvelous time. Our guide took us around large crowds waiting to get in and we knew that some were from ship tours. I really felt sorry for them as we passed to get in first.

With a private tour we had a choice about what and when we wanted to go and our guide was more than helpful to take us to some unique restaurants and other 'special' sights that you don't get otherwise.

The cost may have changed, so check any of them for a quote. You will find their email addresses on previous posts by going to research. We happen to like Alla as you can see from our website about the Baltic.

You will love both Cathedrals. Also, Our Lady of Kazan is between the two of them and you can also pop in there if you have time. It is the main cathedral of the city. The Church of the Resurrection (spilt blood) and St. Isaacs are only used on certain holidays and special occasions (although St. Isaac's does have a side-chapel that is a working parish).

If you can stand to be in a large van with five couples, a guide and a driver, the cost with Anastasia would be about $500 per couple.

I haven't heard enough about Alla to recommend. However, I've used Anastasia, which was a great experience for us, and I've heard great things about Denrus and Red October. Besides Alla, there is one more whose name escapes me. They are all fairly competitive in price. And they like American dollars.

Da Bear

We have used Alla-tours on several occasions and we really like hercompany. She is highly professional, well informed, personable,responsive and accommodating. We have always worked with her to create our own itinerary and have been so pleased each time. We can highly recommend her. We also read that she has reduced some of her tours recently. The primary advice is -do not do the ship tours.

If you can stand to be in a large van with five couples, a guide and a driver, the cost with Anastasia would be about $500 per couple.

I haven't heard enough about Alla to recommend. However, I've used Anastasia, which was a great experience for us, and I've heard great things about Denrus and Red October. Besides Alla, there is one more whose name escapes me. They are all fairly competitive in price. And they like American dollars.

Da Bear

Hello:

The one you are referring to is Viktoria, of SPB-Tours...

In my opinion, it would probably be to your benefit to get a competing quote and itinerary from

Viktoria.

The one you are referring to is Viktoria, of SPB-Tours... In my opinion, it would probably be to your benefit to get a competing quote and itinerary from Viktoria.

From several of the key providers/options in St. Petersburg, I would write personally to each different one and lay-out your very specific situation, needs, interests, etc. Ask the right questions to fit your group. Be focused and specific!!! Don't be shy or vague. Then see what you get back. Many just give formula/form responses without really reading or thinking about your needs/interests. Cost is important, but it is more valuable to have a tour company that listens, thinks and fits your actual personal needs/interests. Asking the right questions helps you make that best choice.

Archived