***** Price Gouging on Norwegian Cruise Line*****

helosardig

Hello,

Recently I had an issue aboard the NCL pearl. I was interested in buying a Fossil watch from your ship store. I was told to wait to wait till Friday as they would have a greater selection and the prices would be reduced. I asked the sales lady why there was such a small selection. She told me that Fossil watches sell quickly. We ended up buying 3 watches, when we noticed that under the sale tag ($109) there was another tag. It was the (MSRP)Manufactured suggested retail price. It was marked $87.00!!!!! The price was marked up $22. When I talked to the sales person they said that I would need to speak with the Assistant Manager (Edwin Hamilton Leo). So I went up to the store. Edwin told us that the watches are old and can't be sold, so they had them in stock for a long time. So they marked them up to what they are worth now. I showed him the tag and he said he was fine with this and would not help me. I then asked the store clerk for his full name. Once Edwin found out he went downstairs to look over the table of watches and remove all the MSRP tags so the other passengers would NOT find out. After Edwin saw us standing there he approached us and then asked if we would like to speak to his Manager (David Atkinson). We told him that we want to file a report with the ship customer service. They then called David Atkinson. He was kind and understanding. He resolved out mistake and said he would look into the discrepancy and report back to us. He didn't! I felt I needed to write you and WARN YOU before INCL takes advantage of you with their SALE items. So Now the future and past passenger know the truth about the prices on the Pearland on NCL ships.

Thanks, Bill Dignan

U.S. Navy/Coast Guard Retired

--

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his/her life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact..

God bless America

As a Veteran buying something on a cruise ship, you will likely drive some of the other posters here schizophrenic. In any event, an unflattering post made by someone who has only made two others is likely to draw some attention.

I have bought two watches on cruise ships. Each was ten bucks. And worth it. Good luck.

Keep in mind that this was only on the NCL Pearl. Also if I only spending close to $400 on watches, what would be the mark up on a diamond ring? Plus if NCL cared they would have written me back when I sent an email to the corporate headquarters two weeks ago. I spent my life protecting this nation and I refuse to allow this type of blind justice take advantage of innocent people.

They can put whatever price they want on an item. Even if it says MSRP. I worked in retail a long time and some things we could sell for alot less than MSRP as mark up was really high and other things sold higher as mark up was just minimal. If I see something I really like and price seems to be fair to me I'll buy it. I have found really good deals on NCL and than again other times not so good, but because I liked the item I purchased it anyway!

Here's my take: when you bought the watch, I assume you were happy with the price that you paid. So what if you later discovered that the price was marked up from the MSRP. To me, that's irrelevant. A vendor can price his goods as he sees fit and according to what the market will bear. I do not view this as price-gouging, which I interpret as taking advantage of people in times of emergency as it relates to essential goods (e.g., charging $10 for a quart of milk/water the day before a hurricane hits).

I bought a watch on my first NCL cruise. It doesn't work anymore (I think it needs a new battery). But everytime I open up my jewelry case and see that watch, it reminds me of my first cruise, Italy, and so many memories. Priceless!:D

Here's my take: when you bought the watch, I assume you were happy with the price that you paid. So what if you later discovered that the price was marked up from the MSRP. To me, that's irrelevant. A vendor can price his goods as he sees fit and according to what the market will bear. I do not view this as price-gouging, which I interpret as taking advantage of people in times of emergency as it relates to essential goods (e.g., charging $10 for a quart of milk/water the day before a hurricane hits).

I guess I wouldn't have such an issue with it if they didn't send you the flyers everyday in the mail stating their price are below wholesale. Also the Asst Manager was a bit shaken when I informed him of the mistake. Such much so that he ran down to the main room where the sale was to make sure all the MSRP tags were gone. How many of you expect to get a good deal on jewery onboard cruises? That is suppose to be part of the thrill, right ???????

I'm sorry you are unhappy OP. However, I don't think that you have anyone but yourself to blame here if you are unhappy with the price you paid. If you thought it was too high, then why did you pay it?

This story reminds me of something that happened to me years ago. A young lady called me and was looking to buy a horse. I didn't have any for sale and gave her the name of a local, reputable horse dealer. This young lady said "No way I'd ever buy anything from her..she's an outright crook". I asked her why she felt that way and she said "A couple years ago I was in college and I had to sell my horse because I needed money fast. I called this woman and she bought my horse for $400. And I found out later that she turned around 2 weeks later and sold my horse to someone else for $600!" Not believing my ears, I asked her if she had thought that $400 was a fair price at the time, and she admitted that she had. I then asked her if she knew that the woman was a horse dealer and she said that she did. I then asked her if she thought that the woman was in business to lose money and I received no answer. To say I was stunned after this conversation is an understatement.

So to the OP: there was a product offered for sale that you chose to buy. No one forced you. And you had to be happy with the offered price or you wouldn't have bought it in the first place. That company is there to make money and they are going to make as much as they can. The ultimate responsibility was yours to make, and you made it.

Regarding those flyers that they send out, I take them the same as I do flyers that I get in the mail. They are a sales gimmick and they're going to make it sound like a fantastic deal...that's what sales's flyers do. I also don't go on a cruise to get good jewelry deals. I've heard too many horror stories of people getting shafted by those bargain jewelry stores in various ports. I go on a cruise to have a wonderful vacation and will buy my jewelry from a local jeweler who I know will be there to return to should I have an issue later on.

I'm really sorry that you feel you got a bum deal, but I hope you enjoy your watches.

CG

I'm sorry you are unhappy OP. However, I don't think that you have anyone but yourself to blame here if you are unhappy with the price you paid. If you thought it was too high, then why did you pay it?

This story reminds me of something that happened to me years ago. A young lady called me and was looking to buy a horse. I didn't have any for sale and gave her the name of a local, reputable horse dealer. This young lady said "No way I'd ever buy anything from her..she's an outright crook". I asked her why she felt that way and she said "A couple years ago I was in college and I had to sell my horse because I needed money fast. I called this woman and she bought my horse for $400. And I found out later that she turned around 2 weeks later and sold my horse to someone else for $600!" I was totally stunned. I asked her if she had thought that $400 was a fair price at the time, and she admittedly said that she did. I then asked her if she knew that the woman was a horse dealer and she said that she did. I then asked her if she thought that the woman was in business to lose money and I received no answer. To say I was stunned after this conversation is an understatement.

So to the OP: there was a product offered for sale that you chose to buy. No one forced you. And you had to be happy with the offered price or you wouldn't have bought it in the first place. That company is there to make money and they are going to make as much as they can. The ultimate responsibility was yours to make, and you made it.

Hope you enjoy your watches.

CG

Actually there was two price tags on the watch. The sales clerk asked us to pay $109 on the NCL tag and NOT the $87 on the MSRP tag. That is WHY the assistance manager scrambled to remove the rest of the tags off the remaining watches. Which would you pay?

the only reason i can think of to buy a fossil watch on a cruise boat is that you very simply need the watch, not that its a good or bad deal. If you have the watch, and it works, then enjoy it!

Obviously, anything on the ship will be overpriced.

Michelle

I don't understand why, when someone posts negative comments about NCL, soooo many people find so many excuses to defend NCL. Isn't this board to discuss likes, dislikes, complaints , and compliments? It seems in some poster's minds, NCL can NEVER be at fault.

Actually there was two price tags on the watch. The sales clerk asked us to pay $109 on the NCL tag and NOT the $87 on the MSRP tag. That is WHY the assistance manager scrambled to remove the rest of the tags off the remaining watches. Which would you pay?

Seems to me that if there were two price tags then I'd offer to pay the lower price, and walk away from the deal if the clerk refused - unless I felt that it was a bargain anyway at the higher price.

However, once the deal was done I wouldn't necessarily expect the retailer to compensate me if the item happened to be cheaper later.

As a 29 year active veteran getting ready to take my first cruise in March, I have to ask what being a veteran has to do with this scenario. If you are implying that you should have been treated differently than non-veterans, you are very wrong. I have served over 29 years and have been deployed twice and I appreciate the nice extras I receive whenever someone recognizes my service, but I have never expected anything in return for this service. Take the "Veteran" part out of this equation.

Still Proudly serving and looking forward to spending 7 days with my wife on our upcoming cruise. Hooah.

Craig

Sir, with all due respect, I wouldn't buy a watch or anything else on a cruise ship unless I researched the product before going and knew what the price should be or unless I saw something I liked, thought it was a fair price and purchased it. I'm sure he scrambled to remove the rest of the tags because they didn't realize they had left them on. If you didn't want the watch for $109, you should not have bought it. You really can't believe every "sale" sign you see. Let the buyer beware is still a fact of life, on land or at sea. I do not believe you have a legitimate complaint. Sorry.

If I had noticed the tag prior to purchasing, I'd surely insist on the $87 price. And if they wouldn't give it to me, I'd walk away. But noticing it after I had finished the transaction, I'd just chalk it up to experience...if I were happy with my watches.

There's no doubt that the AM scrambled to take those tags off. They didn't want other people to see those tags as you did. And, it woudn't have hurt them to offer you some sort of compensation to establish a good customer relationship. I guess they feel like cruisers are a one time deal and they don't have to make them happy customers.

As I said before, I'm sorry that this was a bum transaction for you but I really do hope that you enjoy your watches anyway.

CG

I don't understand why, when someone posts negative comments about NCL, soooo many people find so many excuses to defend NCL. Isn't this board to discuss likes, dislikes, complaints , and compliments? It seems in some poster's minds, NCL can NEVER be at fault.

I dont' think that this is a case like that at all. People aren't attacking the OP. And I haven't seen anyone really defending NCL.

I think that the point that everyone is trying to make is that when you purchase something, you need to be sure that you are happy with the price for the item that you want.

I think that everyone understands why the OP is angry, they are just giving opposing points of view for discussion.

CG

Edwin told us that the watches are old and can't be sold, so they had them in stock for a long time. So they marked them up to what they are worth now.

I love this part: "they weren't selling so we marked them UP"! An interesting strategy ... I'll have to try it at work someday! ;)

Well, I'd be upset if that happened to me. If I were upset enough, I probably would have insisted on a refund and return the watch.

Gouged? Hardly. I live in hurricane country, and I know what it's like when gas stations and markets double their prices only becuse you can't get gas and milk elsewhere for a few weeks after a major storm. You can get a Fossil watch anywhere, and you can certainly go without having one. So, accusing them of price gouging is way out of line.

Archived