Panama Canal- Carnival?

cruiseapril

Crstee, Please let us know how you enjoy this tour. We are cruising on the Miracle on 11-12-09 and I looked into this tour. Also, in Colon, I was researching my friend Mario for a canal tour that looked interesting and was very reasonable. Thanks, counting down the days.

we went on this with the spirt ship best cruise. it was 8 day and just 3 ports of call. going through the canel on a ferry boat was will worth it. Loved it make sure you get to the rail of the ferry boat as soon as you get on the boat. That is the best spot and do not move

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed the Carnival Freedom on 5/9/09 from Ft. Lauderdale. We booked a canal and rain forest tour through My Friend Mario.

http://www.myfriendmario.com/?page=rainforest

Our guide was Alex and he did a great job. We felt very comfortable that he would get us back to the ship on time. The clock in the tour bus was set on ship time and they have a guarantee to get you back in time. There were about 8 people from the ship on our tour. They took us to the Gatun Locks, the rain forest for a hike and the historic San Lorenzo Fort. We saw howler monkeys, spider monkeys, sloth and various birds. We did get to see a ship pass through the locks while we were there. My husband was in awe! They provided Coke, water and beer along with snacks on the tour. The price was very reasonable and we had a great day. I would recommend them based our our experience.

Hey Clermont, How did you book Mario? I e-mailed him and he responded see you in November but didn't give any info concerning booking. Do we e-mail him with the amount of people and they meet us at the port or do they just show up. Thanks, any info would be appreciated. I understand that his company is very safe and reliable about getting you back to the ship.

Then on to Colon... This ride on a tour bus was bumpy and a little scary (small winding roads) however, when we reached Colon it was very pretty (the water). We visited the Church there (I think it was the Black Christ Church). If you need a restroom make sure you go to the little museam area on the left side of the church. Our lovely tour guide sent me to the concrete block, no water in toilet or sink out-house on the right of the church. I wanted to cry when we walked out the door of the church to the museam and there was a nice bathroom in there with running water.

Church is interesting. Out side there was an area of old canons and fortress where they would protect themselves from pirates.

I did enjoy Colon for the most part but I wouldn't say it's a don't miss experience.

I think the poster is probably refering to Portobelo, home of the Black Christ, etc., and not Colon.

The train is $22 but runs from Panama to Colon at 7am.

Colon to Panama at 5:15pm.

So does Carnival rent another one just for their Cruises ? What time does it leave?

The railroad exists primarily to move containers back and forth across the Isthmus. They have one passenger train of old pullman cars that have been restored, and one dome car. The train runs once in the morning, before most ships have arrived, from Panama City to Colon to take businessmen over to the Free Zone, and again in the evening from Colon to Panama City, 5PM or so, after the ships have generally left. The tour operators charter it during the day to offer ship-sponsored shore excursions, so the only practical way to take the train is to book a shore excursion.

We need washroom facilities available at any time at any location. The train has some do the buses

Good luck!! Generally tour buses in Panama do not have rest rooms. There are lots of trees, however, and in an emergency the bus driver will generally stop, either to relieve himself along the road, or at a gas station . . . don't even think US gas station rest rooms! Bring your own "TP" in either event.

Generally in Panama your best bet, and often your only choice, is to book a shore excursion from the ship.

Regards, Richard

PS - You may want to check out the "Panama Cruise" section of my blog . . . URL below . . . for more info.

Hey Clermont, How did you book Mario? I e-mailed him and he responded see you in November but didn't give any info concerning booking. Do we e-mail him with the amount of people and they meet us at the port or do they just show up. Thanks, any info would be appreciated. I understand that his company is very safe and reliable about getting you back to the ship.

I emailed Mario in April for our May cruise and he wrote back to confirm with instructions on where to meet and what time. I told him the date of our tour and how many (we were a party of 2). His tour company is called Almiza Tours a.k.a, My Friend Mario. They held a sign with our name on it at the escalators of the port. We just looked for the shirts that said Almiza Tours. When you get to the port you are literally swamped with tour guides barking out at you! We just pushed through until we found the right company. They did a great job and as I said they were very conscious of the time. We had planned to book a ship excursion but I had read many good things on this board about his company. We would use them again.

Hi everyone a bunch of us are doing a reunion cruise and all have booked on the Carnival Freedom for these ports of call Feb 13 / 2010. We are very interested in everyones comments on your different tours that you are taking. I will keep reading to see how you all feel about your bookings. Please keep writing.

• 4 months later...

Archived