Panama Canal- Carnival?

cruiseapril

Hi- Have read a few reviews of the Carnival Panama Canal cruise.

Would be interested in hearing more about the stop in Colon, Panama and excursions in that port or excursions in Limon, Costa Rica.

We are looking at the Carnival Freedom Panama cruise for 2010 and would appreciate any opinions of the cruise and itinerary. Thanks.

We did this cruise, but on the Carnival Liberty. I did not want to go, but DH really wanted to. My favorite cruise so far.

In Costa Rica we did a private tour with Charlie Soto. Wow!! Our guide was the absolute best. We went to a farm, banana plantation, a ride on the canal and to a grocery store for some coffee. So professional and right there when we got off.

In Panama we did the Canal Ferry tour with Carnival. I was leery of this from things had read. We lucked out. It was a Holy day so no traffic. Bus ride was not bad at all. We got through the canal fast also, as there was no boat traffic due to the Holy Day. We had a buffet lunch on the ferry which was great. Many reviews said they just got a box lunch so I don't know why we had the buffet. There were ladies on board to serve us and it was great!!

Our 3rd stop was Cozumel and we just went to Paradise Beach.

We did get a great price on an aft balcony and did that since we had so many sea days. Definitely worth it. It was nice if we wanted to get away from people for awhile. We used our balcony a lot.

I don't think you will regret doing this cruise.

We are going on the Freedom in 2 weeks and have read she is a great ship also!!!

We did the Panama Canal Tour and Colon. It is definately educational at the Canal. We stood in a building at the Canal and watched the boats come in to the locks, however the tour guide would not allow us to stay long enough to see it actually finish it's way through.

Then on to Colon... This ride on a tour bus was bumpy and a little scary (small winding roads) however, when we reached Colon it was very pretty (the water). We visited the Church there (I think it was the Black Christ Church). If you need a restroom make sure you go to the little museam area on the left side of the church. Our lovely tour guide sent me to the concrete block, no water in toilet or sink out-house on the right of the church. I wanted to cry when we walked out the door of the church to the museam and there was a nice bathroom in there with running water.

Church is interesting. Out side there was an area of old canons and fortress where they would protect themselves from pirates.

I did enjoy Colon for the most part but I wouldn't say it's a don't miss experience.

In Costa Rica my DH and sons went on a jungle tour in an old converted military vehicle. They enjoyed it. My youngest and I did the Pineapple Factory Tour which was very nice. I probably would'nt separate from DH nowadays but it was fine when we did it. That was in '04.

Wish I had my photos downloaded for you. I may try to get that done.

Was one our best cruises for sure.

Hi- It's under Western Caribbean- it's an 8 day cruise on the Freedom to Cozumel, Costa Rica, and Panama.

The 8 day trip is appealing as so many of the Panama cruises are 10 days or more- too long for some work schedules.

Thanks I need to check that out!

I want to thank those of you who had input about this trip as I will be on that 2010 sailing, and have been hungerly devouring all that I can find out about the ship and the itinery. So I know if I keep reading I will most likely find all I need to keep the rest of my group informed. :cool:

i did this on the miracle last year, you dock on colon, i did the train excursion, its an hour long train ride where you pass by the canal and locks and go to panama city and see the enterance to the canal, bridge of the americas and such...then hop on a bus..we then went to the mira flores locks on the canal and watched a boat go through the locks process and then a video on how the canal was built...also saw old army barracks and stuff ..then the bus ride back to colon and through the countryside..interstersting to say the least....im very glad i did it...we had to cancel costa rica b/c they had a strike so we ended up at roatan island-beautiful location...swam with dolphins...and belize...snuba dived and had a private beach break at turneffe reef...amazing again (but i have been to Belize before and done cave tubing and im a big fan of belize)...this cruise i think is obviously for people who go for the ports than for just a cruise experience, but it was amazing and i had a blast and highly suggest it to anyone

My DH and I did the Ocean to Ocean excursion offered by Carnival while in Panama. You board an old fashioned train and cross Panama to Panama City (while Uncle Marty points out the highlights). Next a short bus tour of the city then off to the canal's visitor center. We got to see a ship go thru the lock. Back on the bus, then to the train for a boxed lunch for the trip back. It was an all day adventure. Am I glad we did it? Yes. Would we do it again? Probably not. It was a great opportunity to actually see the Panama Canal, not many people can say they have but the $150 pp was a little steep.

My DH and I did the Ocean to Ocean excursion offered by Carnival while in Panama. You board an old fashioned train and cross Panama to Panama City (while Uncle Marty points out the highlights). Next a short bus tour of the city then off to the canal's visitor center. We got to see a ship go thru the lock. Back on the bus, then to the train for a boxed lunch for the trip back. It was an all day adventure. Am I glad we did it? Yes. Would we do it again? Probably not. It was a great opportunity to actually see the Panama Canal, not many people can say they have but the $150 pp was a little steep.

When did you do this excursion? You took the train both ways? we did this excursion last year on the miracle, but had a bus ride one way. We are doing the freedom in march and would like to have our friends do this excursion and the train both ways would be great!

When did you do this excursion? You took the train both ways? we did this excursion last year on the miracle, but had a bus ride one way. We are doing the freedom in march and would like to have our friends do this excursion and the train both ways would be great!

It was the Miracle, March 2007. Yes, we took the train both ways. We're doing the same cruise this April and I see Carnival now offers the train one way and a bus the other. Too bad. Maybe the train goes back to get more people while you're at the canal and on the bus.

Where are you finding cruises for this? It looks like a good itinerary.

I look under panama canal on carnival's website and it only shows the ship that's going from Los Angeles to Florida.

Is it under a different section than panama canal?

Carnival Freedom july 04, 09

It looks like the Carnival Freedom does the Cozumel, Costa Rica, Panama itinerary about 10 times each year.

My last post was Sept 25th 2008 when our cruise was cancelled from Galveston.

Now thinking about the Freedom & the Coz, Limon & Colon 8 day cruise for Nov.

Know nothing about this ship. Thinking Upper or Empress deck. Mid ship.

Checked rain, temps, hurricanes, festivals & our schedules & think the later Nov cruise would be good.

During the research started getting leary...

We usually rent a car & do our own thing. It's cheaper, can go more places & can leave a locale when we want.

Coz is fine we will rent a vehicle & go snorkling.

In Limon we wanted the rain forest, birds & animals. It feels like we shouldn't rent a vehicle & go alone here. But who to trust & where to go? Do our first ship tour? Which one to get the most bang for the buck?

Colon the Canal, Gatun Lake & shopping.

The largest Duty Free Zone is supposedly here? Is that Colon or Panama?

The train is $22 but runs from Panama to Colon at 7am.

Colon to Panama at 5:15pm.

So does Carnival rent another one just for their Cruises ? What time does it leave?

We need washroom facilities available at any time at any location. The train has some do the buses?

Which tour train or boat?

Help Please

I want to thank those of you who had input about this trip as I will be on that 2010 sailing, and have been hungerly devouring all that I can find out about the ship and the itinery. So I know if I keep reading I will most likely find all I need to keep the rest of my group informed. :cool:

Just tuned in so maybe you can direct me.

Need info on the ship Freedom & the ports Limon & Colon & the Carnival Capers for this cruise. Looking at booking the Nov 2009 but want some info first.

Can you help?:)

Hi- Have read a few reviews of the Carnival Panama Canal cruise.

Would be interested in hearing more about the stop in Colon, Panama and excursions in that port or excursions in Limon, Costa Rica.

We are looking at the Carnival Freedom Panama cruise for 2010 and would appreciate any opinions of the cruise and itinerary. Thanks.

Us too! We are looking into a cruise in January with these stops. Thank you for posting:)

This is my 1st time using this web site and I love it! I am a cruiser of many ships--really, I lost count--ha!:) But, I am going on the CARNIVAL FREEDOM this July 4th--11th with my hubby and son. We have been to Cozumel many times, but never to Costa Rica or Panama. This itinerary appealed to us because it allowed one time to r-e-l-a-x- and enjoy the shipm but still have an interesting itinerary.

After doing a days worth of reading on Trip Advisor and Cruise Critic, I'm sold on booking a tour in LIMON with CHARLIE of okey dokey tours.com. I have read all the reviews and this guy gets an A+. I wrote him this afternoon and he responded back to me within 2 hours! We are going to take the A.1 Tour for 5 hrs. and $59 per person. It will go to the Tortuguero Canal, banana plantation, the beach with restaurant--lunch included. All prices include:

admission fee, diet and reg soda, water, Costa Rican beer, fresh fruits, and lunch, fully air conditioned van.

If you are interested on going on the day we are in port, let me know? The more, the merrier.

Looking forward to hearing back from some cruisers. We live in Northern California and will make the long flight acrosss the states to have this super cruise.

crstee

vikings 3

• 1 month later...

We are looking for more information also. We are looking at booking this cruise specifically because of the Panama Canal stop - we can't do a transit cruise because I teach and these are only in the spring and fall. It looks like the only way to actually to go through the canal is on the Carnival excursion. Other excursions take you there to see the locks but not go through - is that correct?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of "seeing" vs. "doing" the canal? Do you think we would be disappointed if we only go and look instead of taking the more excursion that takes you through the canal?:confused:

Archived