Underwater Cameras

CruisingNoob

I have a question regarding underwater cameras.....

We will be cruising on The Conquest (our first cruise ever!!) in April, and plan on going to Stingray City in Grand Cayman & also to the Royal Dolphin Swim in Cozumel. I would like to take some underwater pics of the stingrays, and wonder if anyone has any advice... should we buy a disposable underwater camera or buy a "real" one? I'd hate to spend the extra money, but want pics that will turn out.

And does anyone know if you're allowed to take pics of the dolphins, or not? My Mom will be going with me, but won't be getting in the water, just watching from the pier. I would love to have her take some pics if it was allowed.

Thanks for any help! :D

I've taken underwater pictures with the disposable cameras and they have turned out great. They are good if you are staying up around 10 feet - swimming, snorkeling and the like. They are not good for going deeper while scuba diving, even if they are rated for up to 30 feet. I believe it is because of the way light filters deeper.

Can't answer the question about taking pictures with the dolphins. Many of those places won't let you take your own pictures because they make money taking and selling those pictures.

Use the disposable, save your money for other things. Have fun!

Eileen

I've used the disposable and gotten some great pictures. But last year I broke down and bought an Olympus underwater which will go down over 30 ft. (never been that far down) and used it on our cruise on the Conquest last year. We snorkelled in Caymen and swam with the stingrays. I got some of the best pics I have ever gotten. We also did the Royal Swim in Cozumel. They did allow us to take our own pictures in addition to the ones they took but you really only could do it after everything was over. My group was sitting watching us and got some shots but unfortunately, this camera doesn't have a real powerful zoom so no real closeups. I love the camera and carry it everywhere with me just in case. I'm really glad I broke down and bought it but it is a pretty good expense.

Both of the things you are planning are great. The Royal Swim (the foot push especially) was one of the most awesome things I have ever done in my life.

Enjoy!!!

Underwater disposables are good if it is a SUNNY DAY!! Flash is useless underwater. I have some good snorkling shots in Cozumel and in Grand Caymans. I was able to get a fairly good shot of someone swimming down to the bottom about 20 ft down. If cloudy all you get is cloudy pictures.

I will be on the Conquest, on April 26th.

I just bought a Dicapac waterproof camera case for my Kodak camera. But then again, Flash wont be usefull underwater so have to depend on a SUNNY DAY!! Well with it in the Dicapac I wont have to worry about sand or rain either, so it will be useful to use on land vacations too.

No idea how good it is, but I found this camera on www.leisurepro.com. It might be a good first or second camera for someone that is thinking of combining diving or snorkeling with photography.

If you are going with one of the less expensive ones, there are some that can be re-filled and that have a flash on them. These are a little better than the true disposable ones.

I advise you to check out Olympus's website so you can check out the SW line of shockproof cameras. They have a new series out Tough8000 (12MP--33 foot waterproof) and Tough6000 (12MP--10 foot waterproof).

Olympus Stylus 1030 and 1050 are the most recent models, but 850 is still available.

I have the 770SW (7MP) and it takes great pictures underwater and out of water. It is built to take what you throw at it, so no worries about dropping it on concrete floors. I have concrete floors in the condo I live in (I'm on main floor with the underground parking garage below me). I drop it every now and again just to test it out....

Disposables are fine, digital means you can snap 100+ pictures and find the best ones to keep. One disposasble is good for what, 24-36 pictures and you get what ya get....

Go digital...

I will be on the Conquest, on April 26th.

Me too! :D

Thanks for all the opinions, everyone! I'm still torn, but did just remember that I would also like to have an underwater camera that takes video, too. I guess I'll have some checking to do.

I advise you to check out Olympus's website so you can check out the SW line of shockproof cameras. They have a new series out Tough8000 (12MP--33 foot waterproof) and Tough6000 (12MP--10 foot waterproof).

Olympus Stylus 1030 and 1050 are the most recent models, but 850 is still available.

I have the 770SW (7MP) and it takes great pictures underwater and out of water. It is built to take what you throw at it, so no worries about dropping it on concrete floors. I have concrete floors in the condo I live in (I'm on main floor with the underground parking garage below me). I drop it every now and again just to test it out....

Disposables are fine, digital means you can snap 100+ pictures and find the best ones to keep. One disposasble is good for what, 24-36 pictures and you get what ya get....

Go digital...

I bought an Olympus SW about a month ago. It also has extreem weather features so I could use it here in the arctic cold we've been having. I'm looking forward to trying it out in April.

I have used the disposables but I found that half the shots aren't very good and I don't capture what I wanted to. When you are floating around it is hard to focus the camera. I bought a case for my digital camera and on the last cruise I took at least 250 pics and them was able to pick out the best ones to develop.

I have a Casio Exilim Z1050 with the underwater housing EWC-90. It is fantastic. We just returned from the Conquest and went to Sting Ray city and to a reef. Our photos and videos came out great. You're going to have a blast!

Kim

disposables take horrible pictures. go find the waterproof camera bags for your digital camera. they are hard to find in stores, on the web is your best bet...which reminds me that i need one.... if you have more to spend, look into buying the hardshell waterproof case. these will cost you possibly over $100...

Just go with the bag....

http://www.waterproofcases.net/waterproof-camera-cases.html

I,too, have an Olympus...besides using for underwater shots...it is really a good "land" digital too....great photos..

(mine is 790SW--and I think they have improved on it...I have no view finder...and there can be a lot of glare on LCD screen!!)

Me too! :D

Thanks for all the opinions, everyone! I'm still torn, but did just remember that I would also like to have an underwater camera that takes video, too. I guess I'll have some checking to do.

That cuts out the disposables. Go with the Olympus, it also takes great pcis out of the water, and will work fine as you usually compact digital camera.

I have the Olympus 1030SW and have taken over 2,000 shots with it. Several hundred underwater. Also does a decent job with macro shots. I carry it in my pocket all over the place. Not as good as my SLR, but that will never see the water!

Don't use the flash under water or it will highlight evry little particle floating by!

a sample shot from snorkleing in St. Thomas:

coki4.jpg

The little "floaties" you see are from the flash. I had forgotten to turn it off. without the flash, things will look better:

coki2.jpg

OK everyone is now talking about cameras, LOL. I just had an answer to the dolphin swim picture taking. You walk out a dock to enter the water with the dolphins, and only those doing the swim, are allowed out there. They won't let you bring your own underwater camera in the water with you, as they take pictures of you and everyone in your group also a nice video of your swim. After your swim is over they usher you all into a "preview viewing room" show you the video and then you can go an purchase your pictuers and or video of your swim. Actually the pictures they take are awesome. The video, although nice, includes everyone that is in your swim group and if you don't know everyone, you still have them all on your video and your part with the dolphin is very short on the video. I thought the pictures were worth the price, but not the video. It is an awesome time though and you will love it. As for the stingrays...you can use a disposable, the water is very clear and shallow, they come close up and will even take food out of your hand. It's great. enjoy your cruise.

The little "floaties" you see are from the flash. I had forgotten to turn it off. without the flash, things will look better
Yes and no. While snorkeling the flash may light up the particulates in the water. If you were to try scuba diving a flash is a necessity. As you go deeper the amount of light in the water and colors seen diminishes. You need a flash and filter to bring the colors back.

We bought an Olympus SW 790 for Christmas and used it during our recent cruise.

Love, love, love the pictures it took! Much better than any we ever took with the disposable cameras.

The only bad thing I can say about the 790 is that I couldn't see the image on the screen when shooting, so was shooting blind. Ended up taking multiple shots in hopes of getting a picture of the fish or coral.

As misguidedangel mentioned, you can take so many more pictures and keep the best.

So true and so :cool:.

Archived