Hotel ideas in Southampton that might store luggage

jpinperth

Why not do what I did? A few days before arriving in Southampton I stopped at the Purser's desk on board and asked that one suitcase be left with the Port Agent in Southampton. Two weeks later it was returned to my cabin by the time I got on board for the return to New York. Total cost was about £60 (May 2008).

All you have to do is drop it off right there at the Agent's desk on arrival in Southampton. Much easier.

I also left my luggage with the port agent, it worked out great.

I do have a couple of thiings that might help you...

I went to the Purser on the QM2 and asked about leaving the luggage, they gave me the information, but I could not arrange it through them...meaning they would not take payment for it on the ship.

Once I was in line at the Agent's desk, I talked to a couple of other passengers doing the same thing...they paid on board and had everythiing arranged through the Purser. Apparently the person I spoke to wasn't in the loop.

The port agent wouldn't take a credit card for the storage, but luckly I had British Pounds on me and they took cash. Be sure to push the purser's office if they put you off at first.

Second thing...the agent's window is AFTER you go through the Custom's area, not in the Baggage Claim area. There is a baggage window in the claim area but it's for lost luggage, not leaving your luggage.

Enjoy your trip...it sure was convenient to have our luggage waiting for us in our room when we got back.

Please allow me to ask for clarification....did you go to the Port Authority upon arriving to Southampton and tour about for two weeks? We are planning to arriving a bit earlier to go to Paris prior to sailing for a few days. It will be nice to know that we do not have to lug all of those bags with us.

Thank You,

Pinkie

We came from NYC on the QM2 and were returning on a later westbound T/A with about 2 weeks in between. We stored the luggage for the two weeks.

I don't see why they wouldn't hold and then deliver luggage for anyone before leaving, it's really the same process. Try calling the Port Agent in Southampton and check it out.

Another option, and this was our backup plan, is to leave your luggage at a 'Left Luggage' facility at a train staion. There is one at St Pancras (where the Eurostar leaves from). I think when I checked last year it was 6 british pounds a day for storage. Not quite as convenient as the cruise terminal, but better then hauling luggage around.

do a search for the St Pancras station and there was some info on the Left Luggage facility. I walked right by it when we entered St Pancras (from the cunard bus).

Good luck.

Please allow me to ask for clarification....did you go to the Port Authority upon arriving to Southampton and tour about for two weeks? We are planning to arriving a bit earlier to go to Paris prior to sailing for a few days. It will be nice to know that we do not have to lug all of those bags with us.

Thank You,

Pinkie

As I said before, everything was arranged on board. Now that you are aware that not everyone in the Purser's office on board are familiar with the procedure, I would suggest you ask for a supervisor if they tell you it is not possible.

You will receive some paperwork to fill out, listing what's in the suitcase(s) left at the Port (this is for insurance purposes) and a tag to affix to the case(s). Your luggage will be taken off the ship together with the luggage you plan on taking with you. Once you identify and collect your luggage at the pier, you must take it through customs clearance first. After that, I simply asked a uniformed person to direct me to the window for the Port Agent. Since I am not familiar with ALL the terminals used by Cunard (I arrived on QE2 and was leaving on QM2) I did not give you more specific information in my first post, but it turned out that the Agent's office was in the same hall where I returned two weeks later to check in for my return trip. After I dropped off the "left" bag, I simply joined the queue for a cab, and that was that. As I said, two weeks later the suitcase beat me to the cabin!

Archived