scooters

olson

I just saw a 2 bad wrecks today. One was between a tourist on a moped and a curb - will save you the details but will say the passenger's leg was not going the right direction after the crash and a bone was sticking out of his arm. The driver was covered in blood and laying on the ground. The other wreck involved a car colliding with a moped. Very ugly!

These isn't an isolated incidents either. I probably see 2-5 wrecks involving tourists and mopeds every week. Even if you are an experienced moto driver, don't do it. Our roads are terrible, the taxis are crazy and alcohol flows heavy here. Save you skin and a claim to your life insurance company and rent a car instead.

Riding a scooter around Cozumel sounded like a good idea to my DW and I when we were there in May 2003. However, after reading the boards here we decided against it. And, the night we got back on the ship, we talked with a lady who was wrapped in bandages that had been hit by a truck while riding a scooter. To make matters worse, he husband was left in Cozumel because they didn't have time to settle everything before the ship left.

It happens all the time...we have terrible roads full of pot holes, loose gravel, speed bumps and oneway signs. Oh gosh...and then there are the taxis! I swear that the moped rental places paint bull's eyes on rental helmets for the taxi drivers to aim for. Glad you passed up the moped for something safer.

Archived