Hotel Golden-Rome?

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Golden, Via Marche 84? Comments seem favorable on Trip Advisor and Venere but we haven't read any recommendations for it on this site. We are wondering if the location is safe for wandering and is the location suitable for walking to transportation. Thanks!

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Golden, Via Marche 84? Comments seem favorable on Trip Advisor and Venere but we haven't read any recommendations for it on this site. We are wondering if the location is safe for wandering and is the location suitable for walking to transportation. Thanks!

I know the area and it is, indeed, safe for wandering. Just off the Via Veneto, very near Borghese, and in an upscale area. Not what I would consider the best location for getting to the normal sights to visit. It is at the top of a hill so it's downhill to everything, and then back uphill at the end of the day. There are public buses in the area. Metro at Spagna is a hike.

We did not stay there.....tried to book it as lots of our fellow cruisers were staying there but it was full. We ended up at Hotel Mozart which was really nice. We did drive by it on our way to Thanksgiving dinner with 30+ of our fellow cruisers. They had picked a very nice restaurant very nearby. We walked (about 12 of us) from the restaurant to Trevi and had gelato and walked back (about 11 pm). Good location and all said it was a great hotel (altho not fancy) for pre or post cruise stay.

PS: If you stay there the restaurant name was San Marco and had really good food. The hotel recommended it.

We stayed at Hotel Golden for 4 nights last summer. The family than runs it is very nice and we enjoyed our stay. Our room had a king size bed and was spacious by Rome standards (as was the bathroom). Breakfast was fine - not outstanding. Was very nice to have free internet at the main desk. Restaurant recommendations were very good - we felt we had really experienced Roman food.

It is close to Borghese Park so the walk to the Gallery was quite short (reserve in advance). The Via Veneto area is great - very nice hotels & restaurants. Every day after touring, we had a glass of wine at Harry's Bar - lovely little snacks to accompany and the ability to look at the old Roman walls!

Yes, it is a walk up the hill but was a very calm and safe area of Rome to relax in each evening. We would return.:)

We stayed there this past November post cruise for one night. DH and I had a room across from the desk. My sister in law had one at the end of the corridor. We liked the location as it is right off the Via Veneto, close to a supermarket, restaurants, etc. Sister in law's room was the size of a jail cell with a single bed and the door stuck everytime you wanted to go in and out. Ours was ok. A fuse in our room blew in the early morning hours when we were trying to get ready for our ride to the airport (the building is about 200 years old) and we were in the dark until the owner (the dad) woke up to fix it. It was acceptable place to stay and is highly rated with CC cruisers, but I would not stay there again. The best part was the 1930's cage Otis elevator. The hotel is up on the second floor of an apartment building.

We stayed there 5 nights pre-cruise this last September - really enjoyed our stay - and a wonderful large room (with sofa) and huge bathroom - at the end of the hall ---- very friendly, family-run hotel --- area is very safe and nice to walk -- you can walk to Trevi fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Navona - close to Barberini metro stop, so very easy to get to Termini, Vatican, Castel Angelo, etc...

• 2 weeks later...

This is a niceenough smallfamily run hotel- westayedthere about two years ago.

It is in a nice area- upmarket but if I wasgoing again I would not stay theresimply because its notin the best location - we like to walk as much as possible - this hotel is at the top of a hill - a long walk up and down! Especially afteralong day of sightseeing.

I personally would look elsewhere but only because of the location.

Good luck

Barbara

Archived