two in cabin, one party no show

san diego sue

Has anyone had their cabin mate no show on a cruise.

Can one check in without the other party with them? also what if the other party doesn't show up at all?

Was wondering once on board, will the person be charged additional for the cabin even though it is totally paid for? The other party is in the 100% penalty phase at this point, so not looking for a refund.

Just checking for a friend, so don't know which ship or cruise they will be on.

Thanks for your help.

Has anyone had their cabin mate no show on a cruise.

Can one check in without the other party with them? also what if the other party doesn't show up at all?

Was wondering once on board, will the person be charged additional for the cabin even though it is totally paid for? The other party is in the 100% penalty phase at this point, so not looking for a refund.

Just checking for a friend, so don't know which ship or cruise they will be on.

Thanks for your help.

Here is my experience from last October --

I had a friend scheduled to sail with me. When I showed up at registration, I told them I was not sure if he would show up. I was given my Room KeyCard and they kept the rest of the packet (ship map etc) to give the second party if they showed up. Shortly after rooms were available, I got a call on the cabin phone asking if I had any other information, and requesting a phone number for the other party. Part of what they wanted to know was if he was going to try to join the cruise later.

That was the last I heard from the front counter concerning the second passenger.

About 2 weeks after I returned, I received a small credit, which I believe consisted of the port charges.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Rich,

You are terrific. That is what they will do.

Apparently if the second party were to cancel now, the one going would have to pay an additional full fare. Since they already have paid for two full fares, felt this was totally unaffordable and wouldn't be able to go on the trip.

There is still hope that the other party will be able to go. An injury is what is involved but the second party is still hoping to go on the trip.

thank you for your help. I can always count of our Cruise Critic friends for the answers.

Rich,

Apparently if the second party were to cancel now, the one going would have to pay an additional full fare. Since they already have paid for two full fares, felt this was totally unaffordable and wouldn't be able to go on the trip.

There is still hope that the other party will be able to go. An injury is what is involved but the second party is still hoping to go on the trip.

thank you for your help. I can always count of our Cruise Critic friends for the answers.

That appears to depend on several things -- the actual fare category that you booked under, what type of insurance you had, and who the insurance was with. In my case, the fare category had a high single supplement, but I had HAL premium cruise protection. When we figured what it would cost to cancel in advance, the fare would have been $15 more. Since there was a chance he could go, we just did the no-show and everything worked out great.

Hope your friend gets to take the cruise.

Rich

No, you shouldn't be penalized - I don't know of any cruise line that would do that (or any tour operator, etc...). You completely paid for that cabin/occupancy - it doesn't matter that the 2nd person didn't show. The person that didn't show is just out of luck for what they paid.

I also wouldn't expect them to refund any money either.

They're also not airlines - frequently, if the cruise isn't sold out, the price goes DOWN after final payment and before sailing.

Lydia

ps. the only way they could charge someone in that situation is if you tried to "substitute" someone else for the person that didn't show - then they'd nail you because it's technically a new booking.

Rich,

I'm sorry, but I'm missing something here.

Why would the other party have to pay even a dime additional if the cabin mate didn't show? If the fare was paid in full, as far as the cruise line is concerned, that cabin is paid for. If only one person occupies it, so what?

Now, if a cabin mate backed out before the penalty period and received a refund of their deposit, then ... yes ... I can understand that the one remaining in the cabin would be required to pay a single supplement if they still wished to sail. But if the second passenger is just a no show ... and the cabin has already been fully paid for ... there should be no additional charge whatsoever for the person who occupies it.

Makes sense to me anyway.

Blue skies ...

--rita

To Lydia,

They don't want to substitute any one else because there is still a chance they will be able to go. They did have travel agent check and if it is cancelled in advance,and only one goes, even though she already paid for two people, they forfeit the one persons' fare and pay it again as a single suppliment.Strange and not fair.

Spoke to them this evening and both will be going or neither , they don't want to pay the extra.A lesson learned when insurance is not purchased.

To Rita,

Even the Travel Agent was shaking her head on this. Can't believe if it is fully paid for two that HAL would care that half the cabin was empty. Instead they want to charge additional fare We are not talking about a inexpensive cabin nor a short cruise, this is big bucks. So in effect it would work out as if the single person would be paying additional 200%.

To Lydia,

They don't want to substitute any one else because there is still a chance they will be able to go. They did have travel agent check and if it is cancelled in advance,and only one goes, even though she already paid for two people, they forfeit the one persons' fare and pay it again as a single suppliment.Strange and not fair.

Spoke to them this evening and both will be going or neither , they don't want to pay the extra.A lesson learned when insurance is not purchased.

I'm thinking the TA didn't understand what the agent at HAL said. Because you can translate it to be exactly what I said. The person that cancels eats it they don't get any money back. BUT the person that's still in the cabin doesn't pay anymore. HAL gets their 200% for sole occupancy. HALs talking accounting when they say "forfeit" and "pay" - I'm guessing no money actually changes hands. Or, they talked to someone who doesn't have a clue.

And I certainly wouldn't cancel the "no show" person before the sailing date, and I would still go. Just have the person not going "no show" don't "cancel" them before hand. EVEN what you said was HALs response indicated that works without anything extra being paid - they only pay extra if it's "cancelled in advance"! So, don't cancel in advance - just have the one not show. Your friend has nothing to loose except a plane ticket - don't waste a perfectly good cruise!

Lydia

To Rita,

Even the Travel Agent was shaking her head on this. Can't believe if it is fully paid for two that HAL would care that half the cabin was empty. Instead they want to charge additional fare We are not talking about a inexpensive cabin nor a short cruise, this is big bucks. So in effect it would work out as if the single person would be paying additional 200%.

That's absolutely the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! Hell, I'd almost be willing to treat a casual friend or work associate just to get a warm body in the cabin. Why should HAL make out? I'm sorry, but that's grossly unfair. Like I said, if the person backed out before final payment and got a refund, then ... yes, I can understand HAL expecting a single supplement to be paid if the remaining person wants to sail ... but in this case, there should be nothing owed since the cabin was paid in full.

Personally, I would ask the travel agent to take this matter up with HAL corporate. Not saying it would do any good, but perhaps executives at the highest level need to look at this policy and perhaps amend it.

I hope both of these folks had insurance so that no one will be out money. I do know that when travel insurance is involved, even if only one person in the cabin suffers the loss, both people can cancel and be refunded their money.

Blue skies ...

--rita

And I certainly wouldn't cancel the "no show" person before the sailing date, and I would still go. Just have the person not going "no show" don't "cancel" them before hand.

If there is travel insurance involved, the "no show" is gonna have to cancel. Otherwise, the insurance probably won't pay for the cancelled cruise. Also, if there is insurance involved, the cabin mate will have the option of cancelling as well ... and being reimbursed. But in order for this to work, BOTH parties must have the insurance ... which I think would be the requirement anytime you have two people sharing a cabin.

Blue skies ...

--rita

This is exactly the discussion I had with my PCC prior to my October cruise, except that I had HALs Premium Cruise Protection.

If one person cancels from a cruise during the penalty period (after final payment), they would be refunded whatever portion of the cruise fare applies. The second person in the cabin is then responsible for the single fare, which in some cases, depending on cabin and promotion could be 200%.

If the second person just doesn't show up, HAL checks to see if they might try to catch up at another port. If not, no problem.

In my case (with insurance) the difference with penalties was minor so I left the option open for my friend to sail.

From reading other posts on this subject, I understand that third party insurance might repay such that you would only pay the single fare.

At the end I received a small refund, most likely the port fees.

Rich

Here I am again.

I had stated, no insurance was purchased. they don't care about losing money, only wanted the one party to cruise. that party paid for both of them already on her credit card (husband and wife). What she didn't want to do is pay an additional second fare at a premium price (higher than they originally paid). I can't understand if she paid for both, is willing to just go, spend money on the ship, purchased lots of tours, already paid for two people, they should want more from her.

Still hoping her husband will improve and definetely not going to officially cancel him or herself.

If her husband doesn't go, and officially they try to substitute another party (prior to the 5 day rule), there will be lesser fees. airfare would be lost. She has some friends that would love to go but still hoping husband can. She prefers to cruise by herself on the trip, privacy in the cabin etc.

I called her this morning, husband hasn't improved but he is still hopeful.

In 2002, my cabin mate fell in the hotel in Seattle on the way to board a bus to Vancouver for the 2002 Asia Pacific 64day trip. She broke her leg. Until we got to Toyko I didn't know if she were joining the ship or not. I didn't have to pay any extra for the cruise. The only thing I had to pay extra was a shore ex overnight, since I was now a single. She did have insurance. The Hotel Manager did allow the steward to place her pillow gifts in the cabin. I was able to surprise her with these on my return.

Archived