NCL Spa Services - worth it?

jan6182

I have always loved the spa... a good massage, a nice manicure, etc. However, I am shocked at "cruise spa prices".

I am going on Pearl in April, and recently viewed a NCL spa menu from a helpful CC member... I found the prices quite high. I am used to paying about $80 for a massage, plus gratuity. Am I missing something REALLY special about a cruise ship massage that costs over $150?!? Manicures around me cost no more than $15 here in central NJ. Cruise ship manicure = around $30?

Would love to hear your thoughts about NCL spas - overrated or worth it?

I paid $180.00 for over an hour (80 min.)hot stone massage on the Star. We just got back from Cancun and I had a hot stone massage at the resort-- pd $175.00 for an hour. This was at a 4 star resort. Not a whole lot of difference--Star being a bit cheaper. Mandarin Spas (on NCL ships) are pretty much same price across the boards no matter where they are at and they are world wide spa co. They set there own price. While on a cruise I will splurge on some things---and I love the hot stone massage!

I agree with what people have posted so far. I do not think they are that out of line with any other resort type of spa you will go to. They also will run specials during the week so be on the look out for those.

One caution and one thing that keeps me from taking advantage of the NCL spas. I have read on here numerous times that from the moment you step in until the moment you leave they are trying to sell you other spa services, products, etc. I do not know if that is true or not, but it would keep me from using the spas. Retiredonthesea.. did you experience that?

My treat is to have my hair highligted. It's wonderful having your hair done while crusing. I loved my first two experiences, but I have to say, the last time I had it done the woman was so pushy about the products that it has stopped my from going again on my last 2 cruises.

While I agree that the Spa prices are a bit high, it is one of the things my DP and I enjoy while crusing so we pay the piper. I can honestly say that neither my DP or myself have never been pressured to purchase any Spa products. Thats not to say the staff hasn't brought it up, but we simply say not interested and they drop it from there. What does frost me about the Spa is that they now charge a fee for using the facilities!! I really don't understand why they started this practice. In the past the spa pools, etc. have basically been empty, so evidently they were'nt getting a lot of usage so why start making a day charge?!?!

One caution and one thing that keeps me from taking advantage of the NCL spas. I have read on here numerous times that from the moment you step in until the moment you leave they are trying to sell you other spa services, products, etc.

Thats why my mom doesn't go to the spa anymore on the ships. She had a facial last time and the entire time instead of it being quiet and relaxing she would say like "im going to be applying a butter cream rub now..we sell it for $19 in our gift shop its a very good deal..now Im going to rub you with a salt scrub..we sell this product for .... etc" She said something halfway through like "I'm not going to buy anything" and wished she said that at the start.

Thats why my mom doesn't go to the spa anymore on the ships. She had a facial last time and the entire time instead of it being quiet and relaxing she would say like "im going to be applying a butter cream rub now..we sell it for $19 in our gift shop its a very good deal..now Im going to rub you with a salt scrub..we sell this product for .... etc" She said something halfway through like "I'm not going to buy anything" and wished she said that at the start.

James.. i read one posting that literally broke my heart.. I SO wished I could have hugged the lady who wrote it. She also went to get a facial and all they did through the whole facial was tell her what horrible skin she had and how this and that product they sold would fix it. She was in tears by the time they finished with her. It was one of those postings that you could tell it was for real, not something someone was making up. Since then I have known I would never use their spa.

James.. i read one posting that literally broke my heart.. I SO wished I could have hugged the lady who wrote it. She also went to get a facial and all they did through the whole facial was tell her what horrible skin she had and how this and that product they sold would fix it. She was in tears by the time they finished with her. It was one of those postings that you could tell it was for real, not something someone was making up. Since then I have known I would never use their spa.

If it makes you feel better some of the spa staff does this to fellow crew also. I no longer get my hair cut on the ship.

I agree with what people have posted so far. I do not think they are that out of line with any other resort type of spa you will go to. They also will run specials during the week so be on the look out for those.

One caution and one thing that keeps me from taking advantage of the NCL spas. I have read on here numerous times that from the moment you step in until the moment you leave they are trying to sell you other spa services, products, etc. I do not know if that is true or not, but it would keep me from using the spas. Retiredonthesea.. did you experience that?

I'am sort of the upfront typed of person---as soon as they start with the sales pitch I remind them I am here for rest & relaxation so if they wouldn't mind ---please no talking. Actually I've had only one BAD experience and I fianally told her I only use what my dematologist recomends---mostly true.:rolleyes: I never get a facial as I'am allergic to alot of products. Love the hot stone massages!

I also got a haircut on our last cruise. (Jewel) It was one of the best h/c's I've ever had and was worth every dollar. Came home and went to my hairdresser asap. Now I have the cut I want and pay half--- so it was worth it.

I have always loved the spa... a good massage, a nice manicure, etc. However, I am shocked at "cruise spa prices".

I am going on Pearl in April, and recently viewed a NCL spa menu from a helpful CC member... I found the prices quite high. I am used to paying about $80 for a massage, plus gratuity. Am I missing something REALLY special about a cruise ship massage that costs over $150?!? Manicures around me cost no more than $15 here in central NJ. Cruise ship manicure = around $30?

Would love to hear your thoughts about NCL spas - overrated or worth it?

I guess it's all about supply/demand

I'm from the US, but live in Europe.

The ships prices were a BARGAIN for us! LOL! We actually had DH get his hair cut on the ship since it was cheaper there than at home! :eek:

We also did the couples package (which, the price is PER person - something they failed to mention unfortunately - but was STILL a great price so we're not complaining, just a bit miffed that it was advertised as a COUPLES package yet the price was per person) ANYWAY - that included a massage, facial, body scrub, and time in the spa. With the special, we found it totally worth it (about $118 pp including gratuity).

They have some nice spa specials that take place - ESPECIALLY on port days, so be sure to check those out.

ALSO - go the very first day and take a tour so you can get a feel for the place and the technicians. See if it's a place you'd be comfortable in.

So - to answer your question (sorry!) I don't think that there is anything SPECIAL per se about a cruise ship massage - not like they are any better i've had elsewhere.

BUT

the experience of having a massage, with the hubby, on the ship gently swaying WAS worth it!

AND

just maybe, there are some on the ship (like me!) that are used to paying MORE for these services - so to US it WAS a good value. :rolleyes:

I'm not retiredonthesea, but DID use the spa on the Jade last week. A few times.

We were NEVER (not once!) ever given ANY sales pitch regarding products. I actually DID expect some (as even my masseuse here at home trys to upsell me on HER oils, etc.).

I was VERY surprised that we didn't get any sales pressure AT ALL - and really enjoyed the entire spa experience.

My treat is to have my hair highligted. It's wonderful having your hair done while crusing. I loved my first two experiences, but I have to say, the last time I had it done the woman was so pushy about the products that it has stopped my from going again on my last 2 cruises.

I also enjoy the spa on a cruise, but had my hair cut and highlighted on the Jewel last year. They actually turned my hair gray. Not "it had a little touch of gray," but senior citizen gray! :eek: I was 36 at the time and have never even had a natural gray, so needless to say I was more than taken aback. She asked me "You don't like it?" LOL They fixed it, of course, and it looked great afterward. I think it had been a while since I'd had my hair done before I went in and it was starting to have that blonde brassy look that happens after a bit, and she tried to compensate with ash gray or something. I don't know, but it was awful! I was seriously looking around for hidden cameras.

Anyway, if you do it, just make sure they know what you want. I'll be in the spa again for sure, but I think I'll stick to my regular salon for my hair, no matter how great the deal on the ship.

We write "NO SALES PITCH" on the form they have you fill out prior to the any treatment. It works 95% of the time. The only time a girl brought it up, I cut her off quickly and reminded her of my wishes. It works.

How funny...I started doing this years ago and it works. I can see when they read my form they do a double take when they read that. It's better done upfront.

What do you get with the spa package for the week on the Pearl?

We write "NO SALES PITCH" on the form they have you fill out prior to the any treatment. It works 95% of the time. The only time a girl brought it up, I cut her off quickly and reminded her of my wishes. It works.

I love the spa treatments and pick Port Day specials to cut down the price a bit. I will definitely start writing No Sales Pitch on form from now on. The sales pitch does get a little pushy at times.

Sales pitches are awful aren't they? It ruins all the good feeling of the whole facial or massage.

NCL spas are not the only culprit....they are all guilty of this, however I have never been on the super premium lines.

That is a great idea and as sad as this is to say, I would have never thought of it. Thanks for posting.

What a great idea. This is the type of gem of idea or information that I so love these boards for.

I have used the spa on both the Dawn and the Gem with mixed results. My boyfriend and I like to splurge on a couples massage while we are away (somehow we never find time at home). We've done three on the Dawn and one on the Gem. The three on the Dawn were fantastic. No sales pitch during but a pretty hard sell at the end. The massage on the Gem was just OK and had some sales pitch during the massage which I really disliked. One time on the Dawn I got a pedicure and never again. Note I do get occassional pedicures at home so it wasn't my first. The set up at that time on the Dawn was horrible. Instead of a pedicure chair they basically had a bowl on the floor (I'm not kidding). It was rounded on the bottom and not comfortable. The water was cold and the young woman was too rough.

I just have to ask this ? Has any other couple used the --what we call the "Mud Chamber" on the Jewel. I'll try to explain. It's a big room that two of you can go into, the attendant tells you how to use everything --will leave and you lock the door. First you start by of course disrobing. They have a cleansing cream for face, then a body scrub, then a rinse. After that you go into a round steam room and then the fun really begins--you plaster each other with MUD all over!! After 10 min or so a fine mist will come from shower heads in the ceiling, then a full shower. After your done rinsing off the mud they have a sm shower that you can finish cleaning up. Last step is applying lotion to each other. You have a whole hour to do this complete very special treatment. We loved it. The price we thought was a little high at first ($200.00), but the experience was GREAT. My DH who's skin is rather rough came our smooth as a babies butt.HEEHEE We wanted to book this again, but just never had the time. I wonder what other NCL ships have this as this was the first we had heard about it, was on our last cruise. Oct/Nov.

Do they do acrylic/gel nails and if so how much?

Yes they do, but I can't tell you how much as I had to have two repaired so didn't have a whole set done. I think it cost $14.00 for the two. (Acrylic) This was on the Jewel.

Just did a search and found the prices between $80.00 & $120.00 depending if it was regular acrylic set or French.

Archived