Lacking travel authorization for infant from one parent!

chinacat

Help!! I am starting to get concerned about our cruise next week - my husband and I are taking our daughter and her infant son on the Inspiration next week with a stop in Cozumel. The father of our grandson won't get a photo id with his signature so the permission letter can be notarized ( he lost his license due to a DWI - yep he's a real winner) and the notary wouldn't accept his military id. I know we can fly with him and get on the ship since Mom is present with passport and his bc but I'm wondering if it would be safer to not try taking him off the ship in Cozumel - we've been before and could take turns leaving anyway.

Opinions or suggestions please!

If he lives near an active military installation, have him check and see if they have a JAG office on-site. Every one I've been to has someone available that is a notary, and they should have no problem accepting an unexpired military id. No appointment necessary if you go during the walk-in hours (usually held twice a week).

Help!! I am starting to get concerned about our cruise next week - my husband and I are taking our daughter and her infant son on the Inspiration next week with a stop in Cozumel. The father of our grandson won't get a photo id with his signature so the permission letter can be notarized ( he lost his license due to a DWI - yep he's a real winner) and the notary wouldn't accept his military id. I know we can fly with him and get on the ship since Mom is present with passport and his bc but I'm wondering if it would be safer to not try taking him off the ship in Cozumel - we've been before and could take turns leaving anyway.

Have him go on base and have it notorized. Harder to get a military ID than an State Id. I have no idea why a notary would not take it.

The "note" refers to disembarking in Mexico, not visiting as a day stop. according to the Carnival webside, the letter only has to be notorized if you are staying in mexico (or atleast thats the way i understand it)

That being said.....I can't believe his military ID was not excepted:confused:

I would find away to get something signed, better to be safe then sorry becasue you still could be asked for the letter when boarding the ship at the beginning of the cruise (but very unlikely.

This is as bad as the other day, i went to the bank with my PassPort, the teller would not except it BUT she asked if i had another form of ID....Like a AAA card??? had to get the manager involved to get my check cashed.

Here is the policy, does anyone understand it the way i do?

You do not have to get it notorized unless you are disembarking in Mexico or am i totally wrong??

"When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico."

I took my 4 yr old ds on the Inspiration a few months back by myself (dh could not get the time off from work to go with us). Since we were making a stop in Cozumel and Carnivals website said I would need a notarized letter from my dh giving permission for me to travel with our son, I got one. Never had to use it though. Don't know if this is the norm or not that no one asked to see it. I don't understand why the notary would not take the military id. Seems kind of strange to me.:confused: Hope it all works out for you in the end.

Happy sailing :)

Barb

A notary who will not accept a military id is very rare. On a military installation any commissioned officer is a notary. It's really not hard, all he would have to do is ask his officer in charge to notarize the permission letter.

Since the military has changed their ID format (eliminating much identifying info, etc.) some notaries will no longer take them as a form of ID.

For example, a Driver's License has your height, weight, hair and eye color listed on the card.

The new military ID only has a picture, SSN and birthdate listed... the rest of the info is contained on the bar code. In some states this is not enough for a notary to identify a person adequately for them to notarize.

:)

Call a different notary. Seems to me a military ID is a valid form of ID.

I agree. I'm a notary, and all they have to show is a Government issued photo ID to prove their identification. Last time I checked, the Military WAS part of our Government.

Go find another Notary!

I agree. I'm a notary, and all they have to show is a Government issued photo ID to prove their identification. Last time I checked, the Military WAS part of our Government.

Go find another Notary!

Yep - I'm a notary, too. Military ID is just fine as long as it's not expired. Unless I have some reason to believe it is altered, forged, or not his - it's just as good as a DL or passport.

As far as the theory on identifying information posted above - many states no longer list height, weight, eye color, etc. on their driver's licenses. Virginia only has your name, address, license number, birth date, and issue and expiration dates.

The reason for the notarized note is because of the increasing number of familial kidnappings. So some countries, Mexico included, are requiring this to be stated in notarized writing. i wouldn't think that it would make a difference if was supposedly for one afternoon- if you are kidnapping your child you just wouldn't come back to the boat. They usually don't ask- I have never been asked, even when we had our friends daughter with us. But they can. Get as much as you can and do your best. They will either let you in or not- it is not an issue getting back onto the boat or back into the US.

I've been taking my grandson with me since he was 8 years old. His mother has simply written a note giving me permission to take him out of the country, the name of the ship, the dates and has signed it. It's never been notarized. Grandson is 17 now but in all those years, I've been asked for the letter 3 times and they've had no problem accepting it. BTW, it's a good idea to take one with you. With the child being an infant, there could be some concern with kidnapping. That's what this permission letter is for - to prevent child abductions.

You are much safer having the letter - try another notary! A military ID, if current, is a MUCH preferred form of ID than a state driver's license. Do you have a hospital nearby, or a state or city water office? They usually have a notary. Also, a State Office Building.

WHO said the Notary would not accept the Military ID" I bet it was the kid's father, NOT the Notary.

The rules say a notarized letter is necessary if debarking in Mexico. I read that as you don't need it staying on the ship. But if you get off the ship for a minute, you have debarked. Not ended your trip, but the rule only says debarked. It makes no reference to staying.

de·bark (dibreve.gif-bärkprime.gif)v. de·barked, de·bark·ing, de·barks

v.tr. To unload, as from a ship or an airplane.

Dan

I don't get it. To me this is one of those "I'd rather err on the side of caution" issues. Maybe you won't need it and maybe some people report that they've never had to show it. But do you want to be that one person who has a problem getting back on the ship? I sure wouldn't.

I am a notarize based on IDs and other doc. Call another notary!

Archived