Has anyone cancelled 8 days before their cruise?

shellgoodman

We are a Canadian Company and the Insurance company is Reliable life. I know our insurance laws are much different then in the USA. One primary difference is you can only buy travel insurance from the agency that sells you your vacation or through your credit card company.

I am at home and do not have a policy with me but I can check the copy on Tuesday when I am back at work and let you know that excat wording. We can sell it to Americans if they book pacakges through us. Our main business is Hockey Tours and we occassionally get Americans booking tours to world tournaments through us. WE are currently getting ready for the 2005 World Juniors in Grand Forks, ND.

Not true. We can buy our travel insurance where ever we choose.

Just a quick update. It looks like my DH will be ok with his job. His boss gave him his blessing to go on vacation. There could be job announcements next week or not. He will still have a job although it could end up different. The most important thing is that we wouldn't relo again (3x in four yrs).

My DH has just gotten a quad band GSM Blackberry phone through T-Mobile today and was trying to get his phone # transferred from Sprint. I would think that he won't have too much trouble on the islands but the ship days are a bit unsure.

My thanks to this board. My MIL asks me how I know so much about our cruise and I explain how great this board is. She then asks "Really, you can find that kind of info on the internet?". I tell her "Yes Ma, isn't technology wonderful!!!".

I am on a cruise with my Mom Jan 4th. My husband just broke 2 vertebraes in his neck and is in CCU. He'll have to have surgery to fuse them and is facing anywhere fron 2-6 months in a halo device. He will go to a short term rehab facility. Timeframe is not possible to predict. I want to cancel the cruise, but he said not to because of the timeframe being so up in the air. My insurance covers the cancellation because he is my spouse even though he is not going on the cruise. The kicker is that the policy has a 30 day's prior to departure clause. We are about 45 days out. Quandry to say the least. Reading further into the policy..loss of employment is covered ONLY is you have worked for that company 5 years. lot of fine print !!

My hubby had neck fusion surgery 2 years ago. It was a looooooooong recovery. He is still recovering from it. I think you should consider postponing your trip unless there is somebody near by that can help him if he has a slow recovery. My hubby couldn't wash his hair and simple things like getting up from the bed was time consuming. You lose a lot of the neck and shoulder muscle while in the neck collar and it takes a long time to feel strong again. What ever you decide, I wish you all the best! :)

That's wonderful Shelley!!!!!! Now get packing and try to leave your worries at home ;) Looking forward to meeting you and your family! Hopefully we will have some calm seas from what I've been reading. Got my Bonine, so we're ready.

What dinner seating do you have? We are first seating.

Later!

Julie

Pelletib, I am sure that you'll make the right decision and the drs can help you with that. I hope that your husband makes a quick recovery.

Julie, we are looking forward to leaving Friday for the drive to NOLA. We're basically packed for the cruise but don't know what to bring to NO. I am not making the big Thanksgiving dinner this year because we'll be eating up a storm for 10 days after the holiday. See you soon!!!

BTW, my DH has been stressed out with the job situation .

but it's amazing how this new phone has brought a smile to his face. It's a new toy with e-mail too so he is beside himself in happiness!!! A new electronic and he is happy as a clam!

My hubby had neck fusion surgery 2 years ago. It was a looooooooong recovery. He is still recovering from it. I think you should consider postponing your trip unless there is somebody near by that can help him if he has a slow recovery. My hubby couldn't wash his hair and simple things like getting up from the bed was time consuming. You lose a lot of the neck and shoulder muscle while in the neck collar and it takes a long time to feel strong again. What ever you decide, I wish you all the best! :)

I also had spinal fusion last year and the recovery is very very long. I was off work for over 5 months and am still being monitored by my surgeon every 3 months. And my surgery was with a new experimental procedure (not available in the US) that shortens recovery time. Be prepared that your DH very likely will not be ready to cruise for some time.

Beth

You are going to be paying for this cruise whether you go or not, so I would go even if it was without your husband.

If he did lose his job it could be the last vacation you are going to get for a while. I'd hate to just give Carnival my money without taking the cruise.

Best of luck, I hope this somehow works out for you.

I also had spinal fusion last year and the recovery is very very long. I was off work for over 5 months and am still being monitored by my surgeon every 3 months. And my surgery was with a new experimental procedure (not available in the US) that shortens recovery time. Be prepared that your DH very likely will not be ready to cruise for some time.

Beth

My DW had a fusion in her neck on Oct 1 and we went on a cruise last week. The only problem she seemed to have was she tripped over an eletrical cord on the floor and fell down, because she couldn't see it. I guess she is lucky because it is the second one she had and she has been up doing things both times real soon. (four to five weeks) She can't do everything she wants, but she is not bedridden either. She still has headaches and stuff, but the Doc told her to go ahead and go on the cruise as he thought it would be good for her. We discussed it before the surgery was scheduled and then he put her in a soft collar the week before the cruise.

Shelley, I am so happy for you! I know we don't know each other at all but I was worried for you and your family. I would be extremely disappointed if my DM and I had to cancel our cruise and devastated if I lost my job. YAY that you get to go on your cruise! I know your DD will have the best birthday, especially for turning 7! :D

Archived