X, Y And Z guarantee rates,for new bookings only ?

We got a good rate for our inside, category Q GTY, 55+ special but now there is an even better one with a Z guarantee. I phoned RCI UK and I swear before I even asked the question there was an audible sigh from the girl on the other end:(.

She told me the Z rate is for new bookings only, is this true? Have I been fobbed off? Don't misunderstand me, I have experience of requesting price drops, switching cabins etc. but did not know if this was true or not so couldn't argue my case. I know someone out there will have the answer for me.:):)

We got a good rate for our inside, category Q GTY, 55+ special but now there is an even better one with a Z guarantee. I phoned RCI UK and I swear before I even asked the question there was an audible sigh from the girl on the other end:(.

She told me the Z rate is for new bookings only, is this true? Have I been fobbed off? Don't misunderstand me, I have experience of requesting price drops, switching cabins etc. but did not know if this was true or not so couldn't argue my case. I know someone out there will have the answer for me.:):)

The person you spoke to is probably telling you what she knows........and yes, there are "new booking only" rates to finish filling a ship. If you think you might get the answer yow want keep calling until you get it or give up. Sometimes the "right" person will check with a supervisor or open a new email and you get your answer. I really don't think they would lie!:)

I have been booked in a specific cabin before, noticed a significant price drop for the guarantee and then called to receive it... You would obviously have to be willing to take whatever they give you as it is a guarantee cabin... they could assign you to anything and it may not be desirable... essentially you are asking them to throw you back into the guarantee pool... quite honestly, what they are probably offering as guarantees may not be as good as the guarantee cabin you already have... make sense...

I have also done the reverse: booked guarantee then called to get a specific cabin because the price dropped lower than what I paid for the guarantee...

If it is for new bookings only, it should be noted on the website.. if you are after final payment, you may not be able to do it... and no, they do not have to honor a price drop that is specifically for new bookings only...

Call again... possibly try calling C&A (if you are a member) - I usually find them more willing to work with me...

Yes, sometimes the guarantee rates are for new bookings only, especially if you are close to a cruise and they are trying to fill up a ship. You can always try calling back and see if you get a different answer - no harm in doing that.

I don't think I was specific enough in my question:(.

My question is, does the category X , Y and Z specifically refer to new bookings only ? can you only book that category if you are indeed a new booking? My original category that I booked is still available i.e category Q GTY so it does make sense that the category Z is for new bookings ,although it doesn't say it in the small print alongside the category on the website.

anyone else have anything to add? thoughts?

My question is, does the category X , Y and Z specifically refer to new bookings only ? can you only book that category if you are indeed a new booking? My original category that I booked is still available i.e category Q GTY so it does make sense that the category Z is for new bookings ,although it doesn't say it in the small print alongside the category on the website.

Yes w,x,y,z is for new bookings only generally - often not combinable with flights either :(

But would be worth a call to see if you get a different agent with different answer :D

It does not have to be a new booking. I just checked my current booking. I was originally in a specific inside N cabin and changed to a Z guarantee and was assigned a PR cabin. I was told that the fact it could not be combined with air was the special criteria.

I was originally in a specific inside N cabin and changed to a Z guarantee

Do others have experience of switching from a specific cabin to a guarantee?

I have a D2 booked, but the price of an X grade balcony guarantee has dropped a lot since the booking. The difference between the two is now much greater.

I asked RCCL whether there was an option to switch to get the lower price - obviously accepting the allocation could be anywhere. I got a fuzzy "It depends ..." sort of answer.

Any experiences?

Yes w,x,y,z is for new bookings only generally - often not combinable with flights either :(

But would be worth a call to see if you get a different agent with different answer :D

Thanks everyone for the further replies.

Liz, I did try again as I saw that the Z rate was still available and got a more helpful agent :). We have now switched to the Z GTY and got money back less the £35 PP 'admin' fee.

I remembered after the first phone call that I recognised the agent's name from a previous unhelpful encounter. In future IF I get that person again I will hang up !!!:D

Archived