The possibility of Cuba?

pseudochicken

With the new administration now in office (Obama), how amazing would it be if the trade embargo and political situtation between the U.S. and Cuba was lifted/eased, and Cuba became a viable vacation spot!? Since Cuba is a communist state, I'd imagine that huge hotels and resorts would NOT go up since it could theoretically all be seized by the state of Cuba. BUT since a cruise ship is moving resort that is not registered to Cuba, it would be lovely way to visit the island. Imagine all the ports of call that would spring up!? I'd imagine there would be entire cruise itineraries based solely on sailing around Cuba.

I know it's pipe dream, but I bet you in 10-20 years it's realistic. I would LOVE to visit Cuba. But combine Cuba and cruising!? That would be PERFECT!

Thoughts?

• 2 months later...

I read the thread and agree with parts and disagree with other parts. Yes, they do have some resort areas (including huge resorts) set up in some cities in Cuba. It's true that almost all of them are all-inclusive (because there are really no privately owned restaurants in Cuba).

On the other hand, I strongly believe that 2,000 passengers getting off of one cruise ship would be quite overwhelming. There are not enough tour companies in place to handle them, and, as I said, without restaurants, where would they eat? When Cuba opens its borders to the U.S., I would imagine that 8-9 large cruise ships would want to be in port on the same day.

From what we have seen, Cuba is not in dire need of tourists. In 4-5 years they should be ready for cruise ships. In the meantime, they can continue to receive a limited number of tourists, as they are currently doing. JMO

Archived