SUN question about cabin pool deck 10

KENWRTKR

Considering booking a Western Carribean cruise on the Sun -- they have available a large cabin on pool deck 10 (cabin 1002) This is at the very front of the ship next to the owners suites. I assume there is nothing in front of us except water. They priced us at the same as a balcony room. Can anyone tell me anything about our cabin location or the Sun in general!

I personally prefer aft balconies. But a bow balcony is cool,too. Besides, you'll by right up there with the owner's suite folks. If they're not jerks and you're friendly, you might even get invited to their parties!!!

And at night, you can sneak into their hot tub!!!

HAHAHAHAHAAhAhaahahaahhahaahaaaaaa........

MrT

Although I've never been out on one of these bow balconies on the Sun, the ship's layout suggests two things. First, your balcony may be overlooked by the observation deck in front of the Observation Lounge, which is open to all, so it may not be as private as other balconies. And it may well be windy when the ship is underway.

You're right about the wind. Most ships are designed to channel the wind over and around the forward balconies. But on some days you can use a forward balcony and some days you can't. And if it's raining or the seas are rough and spraying, it's not too much fun either. That's why I prefer the aft. You can use it most of the time. But there has got be something really cool about the forward position. Otherwise, why would most ships put the owner's suites and best cabins up there?

As far as privacy, that can vary. On the Sun aft, there is an overhang that makes most of the deck private. On other ships, you can be on display to gawkers.

Ken,

Deck plans can be decieving. Maybe someone who has been on the Sun forward cabins can give you a true a read on this.

MrT

Go for it. You will get a bigger balcony then a regular cabin and a great view. If you choice is an aft vs. the forward balcony my vote is for the aft as well. If you choice is regular vs. forward balcony it is a no brainer.

As far as the wind it is not a problem most of the time. I was in an AD forward in August in Alaska (pics below) and used the balony everyday except as point out when it was raining.

Like the aft balconies you have privacy from the overhang but with the slope you can visit with you upstairs or downstairs neighbors from the rail. I think there are pictures from the balcony looking up in my webshots as well as a CC group picture taken at 5 pm on the first sea day. Nobody was blown away.

It was interesting to get up everyday and have the same view as the bridgecam. It was just over our cabin.

BTW the cabin you are looking at is on deck 11 and a great location. No stairs to get to a from the pool or to the buffet for a quick cup of coffee in the am.

Considering booking a Western Carribean cruise on the Sun -- they have available a large cabin on pool deck 10 (cabin 1002) This is at the very front of the ship next to the owners suites. I assume there is nothing in front of us except water. They priced us at the same as a balcony room. Can anyone tell me anything about our cabin location or the Sun in general!

We just came back and had the mini's up front - 1001 & 1201.

We absolutely LOVED this location - the only thing I would caution against is having perhaps a private conversation on the balcony (which is large) ... you may have an audience of people above you on deck 12. :-)

We loved the convienence of being on the same level as the pool and the Garden Cafe. It can be a bit noisy from the band at night ... but we didn't mind.

We are booked into 1202 on the Sun in March. If you check out the cabin information online, not only is the balcony larger, but the cabin is larger than the other BA cabins as well. I love the location as we will be traveling with teenagers who will want to be at the pool and buffet more than anywhere else.

Archived