Dawn Review, 1/31-2/7/09

Cruise'nMaMa

Some quick responses to the responses received on my review:

1. Yes, this is one of the first posts I've done but I have been reading on cruise critic since I joined in 2004 and I've been on 16 cruises. Its not like I have nothing to compare it to.

2. I felt I posted a fairly balance review and will do better next time to give better detail in supporting my opinions. It wasn't meant to be a sweeping negative review and I don't think it was. I even kept it neutral in the title.

3. Food-I feel that the quality of food and choices on lines such as Princess, RCCL and Celebrity was much higher in their regular, no additional cost dining room. Yes, Cagney's was good but for paying an additional $20 a person, I felt it was not worth that. The buffet had lots of choices but the food appeared sloppy and mushy, the variety seemed to be about the same everyday. I know the buffets aren't usually a high point but I expected a bit more. Salsas was average but I've had better mexican here in VT for less. I think I expected some more creativity in the dishes at the specialty places too. Again, this was my opinion and I think I'm entitled to it just as any of you are entitled to think it was really good. You do not seem me putting you down for thinking it was good do you?

4. As for nickle and diming, well, I felt that way because the main dining rooms just didn't have great choices and my experience there was not very good. To me, it forced me to pay extra to get a slightly better meal.

The photos were way expensive. Yes, I brought a digital camera but I like to a few from the ship as souvenirs usually. If I wanted to use the sauna or anything in the spa, that was extra too. Any other cruise I've been on, it was not extra and its only been 2 years..Maybe they are all going that way?

We are suppose to be able to post opinions and info here and I shouldn't be made to feel that I'm wrong in my opinion just cause it differs from someone else.

I went on this same cruise. I joined Cruise Critic before my cruise to find out what to do at ports of call, what amenities the ship has, etc. I found Cruise Critic very helpful in my search for information.

Here was my experiance on the Dawn 1/31/09-2/7/09:

Boarding ship went smooth, staff friendly upon arrival. Ship appeared clean and beautiful.

Once allowed in cabin, couldn't find cabin steward. Told she was probably on break (from another staff down the hall). Late afternoon, tried to find cabin steward. No where to be found. Made a list of requests (light by bathroom blinking on and off, more hangers, remove contents of mini fridge, more towels, remove trundle bed for more storage, ice), gave to other staff member in hall. Asked cabin steward come to the room when able. Received luggage, handle on suitcase broken. No answer on phone to reception several times, so went to reception. Waited in line at reception, spoke with customer service. They said cabin steward must be busy, entered a work order for the broken light. No apology for the suitcase, said I could bring it to reception and the "carpetenter" could look at it. Asked about cabin steward, was told she must be busy. Finally found cabin steward in evening, tipped upon meeting, asked again for things on list. THAT IS THE LAST I SAW OF THE CABIN STEWARD. (On RCL, my cabin steward knew my name before I even entered the room and checked in with me several times throughout the day) The only thing the cabin steward did from my initial list is get us ice (the next day) and remove contents of mini fridge. Maintance fixed light. Every day, cabin steward would take bath and/or beach towels and not replace them (Yes, the very same beach towels I had to make a $25 deposit on to use). I had to call reception at least twice every time to get additional towels (the cabin steward never came after the first call). Beds made, poor attempt at towel animals, but cabin definately not cleaned.

Food: Everyone has their own preferance. I thought the food was good. It was the service that was the problem. Main dining room: the server acted frustrated we were even sat at his table. He spoke rudely to the second to order in the group when she tried to order her appitizer....apparently each member must complete their entire order before moving on to the next. We were sat by a busing area where servers complined loudly. Got my 1/2 lobster tail, asked for 2 more 1/2s. It was as if I'd asked for the world. Server brought me 2 more entire plates of food. Asked for the plates to be removed. Server walked away. Bussed own table to have room to eat. Server was so rude we left before dessert. Blue Lagoon- service good, quick. Aqua- this was the one place on the ship were we found the service exceptional. Napkins were placed on our laps, menus handed to each guest, servers give personal attention, dining room supervisors came around to make sure we were doing ok.

Drinks: Unless you drink a lot of soda, you do not need a soda card. Cans may cost $3, but are rarely given. Most sodas are fountain and run $1.25-$1.50. The people selling soda cards leave this out when selling you unlimited soda at $50 (that's a lot of fountain cokes!) If you order alcohol, chances are you will receive decent service, as there is a tip involved. Water drinkers....water is only served in small 8oz cups. No one wants to serve water, as there is no tip involved. Most bars have a pitcher of water on the end. I usually just went up and got my own to avoid "the look".

Excursions: Samana- went to Cayo Levento (sp?). Beautiful, well worth the money. Excursion staff weren't pleasant. According to the excursion we booked, we were to exit the ship at 10:00am. When we got to the meeting place, others were leaving first and we couldn't board tender until 10:45. We were informed others couldn't leave the ship until 11:30 (despite arriving in port at 10am). When we were ready to leave Cayo Levento, we went to the tender dock. Waited 30min. Our tender had been anchored a short ways from the dock the whole time we were there! There were 100+ people waiting to board a tender that holds 20-30. Very disorganized. Then tendered to Samana. Didn't feel safe venturing across the street at port. Bars on windows, sick dogs lying around.....I'm glad some people felt safe enough to venture out and found it nice. I just think Samana isn't a port of call most people feel comfortable in.

St. Thomas- been there before. Busy, but easy access to shopping. Went on Megan's Bay excursion. Well organized, beautiful.

Tortola- favorite port of call, out of the way unique shops, went on very well organized tour to Baths at Virgin Gorda. Again, money well spent.

Seas were very rough the whole cruise, glad to have motion sickness patch. Ship couldn't dock at private island, went to Nassau. Despite this happening more than once over the past couple of months, excursion staff didn't have excursions ready. They finally posted them, but without prices. We chose to just shop.

Activities staff: Good, tried to include everyone. Shows less than desirable, but live musicians good.

They fixed my suitcase (with a handle that doesn't fit but got the suitcase home). Self debark was easy enough. Had gratuties removed after struggle, tipped staff in Aqua on own.

Bottom line: It seemed like the service was poor and impersonal. Not sure if this was due to Freestyle, but unhappy none the less. Service makes up a big part of any vacation for me, espically on a cruise. I like feeling taken care of and that I don't have to worry about anything. I would not sail NCL again based on the service factor alone.

It is so interesting how our opinions can differ, and then people can get upset because someone has a differing opinion.

We were on the same cruise and had a wonderful time and had some fantastic food. We did only eat one meal in the main dining room. We had lobster that night... my waiter brought me two halves, I think the men received three halves. I will say they were small, which isn't the bad part... but they were terribly overcooked. I know I'm spoiled being a Florida gal, but they were cooked to death. I also ordered lobster in Cagny's and was disappointed. At least it was cooked properly, it was just flavorless.

Now that said, I had some fantastic things on this cruise. My top picks are:

ribs in Bamboo

Sierra Nevada Pizza in Impressions

kahluah coffee creme brulee in Cagny's

Archived