Veendam Category CA Lanai Question

Bermudamal

Does anyone know what stateroom category CA Lanai is on the Veendam. I was just looking at their website for a cruise in 2010 and it shows this category as available, but when I look at the deck plans category CA does not exist. The pricing is a little higher than a category C, so I was wondering what the difference is and why is it called "Lanai"? Has anyone ever stayed in one of these staterooms?

Does anyone know what stateroom category CA Lanai is on the Veendam. I was just looking at their website for a cruise in 2010 and it shows this category as available, but when I look at the deck plans category CA does not exist. The pricing is a little higher than a category C, so I was wondering what the difference is and why is it called "Lanai"? Has anyone ever stayed in one of these staterooms?

These cabins do not exist yet (on any of the ships), they will be added to the Veendam in the upcoming drydock in March-April of this year.

Basic idea is that you will have a door going out to the promenade (boat)deck, but it will not be your own balcony (people will still do their laps around the deck).

These are a new 'class' of stateroom on the Lower Promenade of ships that have gone through the latest round of 'Signature of Excellence' upgrades.

They used to be 'Outside' with windows that overlooked the Promenade - exterior teak wood walk-around. Some have been fit with sliding glass doors and matching floor to ceiling window during the upgrade - and these are now 'Lanai' staterooms.

lanai_400x250.jpg

(Image courtesy of Holland America Lines.)

Thank you all for your responses. What an interesting concept. I was looking at the 10/3/10 cruise to Bermuda and they had these cabins listed as available for that sailing. The price is a tad bit more than a category C cabin, but considerably less than a veranda cabin. I guess it would be nice to be able to just step outside and get some fresh air. I wonder, however, if HAL would permit chairs outside on the promenade deck to just sit and relax. It would be a great people watching area though, don't you think?

I wonder, however, if HAL would permit chairs outside on the promenade deck to just sit and relax.

Funny you should ask that. ;)

Holland America Line is one of the few that still offers real Teak Wood loungers. And only on the 'promenade' walk-around! On Alaska itineraries they even have waiters that walk around offering Dutch Split Pea Soup and blankets! So I guess you could say that HAL actually ENCOURAGES you to sit around & relax there. :D

I have heard that there will be dedicated chairs for the Lanai staterooms, but don't have any documented evidence for it. In the photo, a 'rattan-like' chair can be seen through the window, and there isn't anything like that currently on the walk-around deck.

We've been very interested in these Lanai cabins for our third Alaskan cruise in 2010. We did balcony cabins on the two previous cruises, and LOVED them, but for less cost and since it would be our third time cruising to Alaska, we feel we'd get the best of both worlds and be able to save some $$$ we would have spent on a regular balcony for more excursions! Thanks for showing the photos - been scouting all over to see what they might look like. Looks like the perfect option for us! Wonder what the cost will be???

Generally, I am an optimist but I am a bit skeptical when it comes to the Lanai cabins. My concern is that people with the Lanai cabin will consider the space outside their cabin sliding door as their own personal space (which I assume it is not) as much as you would consider your verandah.

We are great lovers of the teak wraparound decks on the HAL ships. We find it is one of the nicest thing about HAL and take advantage of it by walking a few miles around the ship a couple of times a day. I just hope that we won't start to find part of the deck blocked by people pulling out chairs for themselves and/or for get-togethers with friends so that the lovely deck becomes a bottleneck in these areas.

Does anyone else have the same concerns?

Does anyone else have the same concerns?

I shared the skepticism a little and thought about this quite a bit on the Ryndam recently. We walk around the deck several times a day. Aside from other walkers, the promenade deck was not used much at all. There were hardly any people using the deck chairs that were out and this was on a Mexican Riviera cruise so it wasn't that the weather was not warm enough.

Provided the chairs outside the lanai rooms do not obstruct the deck, I doubt they will be overly noticable. From memory of the new deck plan, there is not that many of these rooms anyway.

It seems to be a good way to bridge the gap on these ships between the large number of non balcony rooms and those with outside access. Time will tell and will be looking forward to the pics and feedback once the Veendam comes on line...

:D:D:D

We are also considering an lanai cabin( Bermuda cruise ) .Picture looks great, thanks for posting Halfans:)

But like Oca and Brucory, just wondering the impact on the promenade.

Love the concept , perfect compromise between balcony and outside cabin. However I had a look at the deck plans and there are sections with eleven cabins of this cat. in a row. A little motel looking maybe??

I wonder if there's going to be little railings 'marking' each Lanai area?

I can just imagine a new 'front porch society'... people building new relationships, bidding each other 'good morning' etc. Everything but borrowing a cup of sugar back & forth. :D

Generally, I am an optimist but I am a bit skeptical when it comes to the Lanai cabins. My concern is that people with the Lanai cabin will consider the space outside their cabin sliding door as their own personal space (which I assume it is not) as much as you would consider your verandah.

I just hope that we won't start to find part of the deck blocked by people pulling out chairs for themselves and/or for get-togethers with friends so that the lovely deck becomes a bottleneck in these areas.

I expect that there will be some sort of a "reserved" space outside these cabins. After all, a lanai IS a porch or verandah, not just an outside door. I don't expect it would cause anymore of a bottleneck than the teak loungers do now.

Hate to mention the 'S' word but will smoking be allowed on deck outside these rooms? If so, will that be on both port and starboard sides?
Probably yes, on both sides, just as it is now.

I really believe that no space will be reserved. The door is just a more convenient

way to access the deck. The lounge chairs will not be in front but will probably

be in between doors. The doors will bring in more light to the cabins during the

day. Remember there will still be interior doors, which is the way I believe you will

have to enter your cabin. I cannot see key card locks on a sliding door.

greg

You're probably right, casavaha - I don't imagine any space will be "reserved" for the cabin, but one never knows....And I agree that you will still have to enter and exit your cabin w/your card key through the interior hallway door, can't imagine they'd key the sliders. Really interesting concept, and I'm excited about seeing them and hearing from those who get to sail in them first after refit.

• 3 weeks later...
We will be on the Veendam, May 14. We are staying in one of the Lanai cabins, I wil

post photos and do a short review.

Greg

Thank you, Greg! I'm anxious to hear impressions of the Lanai cabins...thinking of booking one on the Veendam to Bermuda!

I rather like the concept of the Lanai Cabins and would look forward to booking one.

I hope that they are added to the other R-Class ships that don't currently have them planned (Volendam, Zaandam and Amsterdam)

I rather like the concept of the Lanai Cabins and would look forward to booking one.

I hope that they are added to the other R-Class ships that don't currently have them planned (Volendam, Zaandam and Amsterdam)

I hope so, too, Brian. I think it's a positive step...a nice compromise between an outside and a verandah stateroom. If they're hugely popular, I'll bet the price goes way up.

In the meantime, I'm going to snag one for the Veendam "Good Nuts Bermuda" cruise. I hope you join all of us! ;)

In the meantime, I'm going to snag one for the Veendam "Good Nuts Bermuda" cruise. I hope you join all of us! ;)

I should certainly enjoy that - I've never been to Bermuda...

...but my vacation time is tapped out: I only get 3 weeks/year (plus a couple personal days) and more than two of those weeks are going towards the Hawaii cruise next March.

:(

Archived