SENSATION back in Pt. Canaveral - Balcony Photos

Tom-n-Cheryl

The Sensation arrived back in port this morning (Wednesday) just before 7 AM. I watched her pull in as the sun was coming up (on the Pt. Canaveral Webcam). She is docked at her "regular" pier, so you won't be able to see her on the webcam: http://portcanaveral.org/webcam.htm

I headed over during lunch to snap a few exterior photos from different angles. Here are a couple, to give you an idea of how the "form" of the ship has changed. I took a couple closer shots as well, which show that several of the balconies have a fair bit of work left to be completed.

471918431_TWiHp-XL.jpg

471919105_AWPvu-XL.jpg

Follow this SmugMug link to see all the photos. Note that you can elect to see the photos in their ORIGINAL size, which should give you even more detail.

http://tom-n-cheryl.smugmug.com/gallery/7333592_6Nw8M#471915534_BDP5f

The ship left Freeport on (or prior to) Monday morning, and has been taking her time for the return voyage - no doubt with A LOT of busy worker bees onboard.

The terminal is also getting a face lift, as I noticed a lot of painting going on inside (no photos of that). They have a lot to do before tomorrow at noon! I don't think that I would look forward to sailing on a ship so soon after drydock!

Tom

Did this ship receive balconies unlike the other ships that have been upgraded? The other ships do not have that look with any balconies sticking out.

Yes, the Sensation is the first Fantasy class ship to receive the additional balconies.

I was very eager to see the ship post drydock. I have to say I am less than thrilled with her look. Just doesn't seem to flow from bow to stern anymore.

Thanks!

These are awesome!

They almost look as big as the Category 12 balconies (even though now some of the Category 12s are even bigger/extended now).

They really need to extend out those Category 11 balconies now!

I totally want to book this ship now, just to try out the new cabins.

Thanks again.

Thanks! You're our hero for providing the photos!!! :D

No I agree, it doesn't flow as nicely aesthetically, but wow won't it be fun to stay in one of the new cabins?

Balconies are increasing in popularity and are money makers for the cruise line.

I for one - LOVE IT!!! :p

That's a very, uh, interesting look there with those balconies sticking out in the middle.

I can't wait to see the reviews of the first sailing. Wonder how many people paid for a balcony that's not going to be ready in time? Or even better, how many people paid for an OV, found out their cabin was going to be a balcony, and then showed up with the balcony not finished and demanded a free cruise?

Thanks for the pics, Tom, I've been looking forward to seeing them for a while!

Thanks!

These are awesome!

They almost look as big as the Category 12 balconies (even though now some of the Category 12s are even bigger/extended now).

They really need to extend out those Category 11 balconies now!

I totally want to book this ship now, just to try out the new cabins.

Thanks again.

Yes, as I was taking the photos - Cheryl said something along that same line... I see a QUICKIE in our future!

The shot of the starboard side (from the front of the ship) required standing on the hood of my SUV (pulled off the road) while several cars zoomed by - quite the site for them I am sure. Otherwise that chain link fence would have added an interesting texture to the photo! :eek:

Tom

Yay! Thanks for the pictures!!!

The way these balconies sit, it does look a bit different! We are in aft balcony U210 in March, which is the upper deck....does that mean we are Wayyyy down there on the bottom row, so close to the ocean? Interesting! Nothing below us! Now those are the same size as a standard balcony cabin on say a Conquest class of ship, with a smaller interior cabin, right?

Boy they really just stuck those things on there didn't they? Wow that's ugly. I'm not sure how they could have done any better with it though, and they clearly need more balconies on these ships.

I have a friend sailing her tomorrow, I hope it goes well. I tried to warn him not to do it.

Did the Sensation always have the opening partitions between the cat 12 balconies? I haven't seen that on any other Fantasy-class ship, wonder if they added that as well?

ETA - Ok, so I can't tell if the partitions on the original balconies for the cat 12s are removable or not. :o

No, they were fixed.

You know what really struck me when we were approaching the ship? The FRESH BRIGHT GLOSSY paint on the funnel. Very simplistic - but WOW !!!

Tom

Yes, as I was taking the photos - Cheryl said something along that same line... I see a QUICKIE in our future!

The shot of the starboard side (from the front of the ship) required standing on the hood of my SUV (pulled off the road) while several cars zoomed by - quite the site for them I am sure. Otherwise that chain link fence would have added an interesting texture to the photo! :eek:

Tom

Thanks once more Tom (I just thanked you on another Thread as well :D) I have 3 of those New Balconys booked for this August for a short cruise. Maybe those new balconys will be ready by then ? :eek: :D

Did the Sensation always have the opening partitions between the cat 12 balconies? I haven't seen that on any other Fantasy-class ship, wonder if they added that as well?

ETA - Ok, so I can't tell if the partitions on the original balconies for the cat 12s are removable or not. :o

They never used to be openable, (if they are now)...

They were welded to the top and bottom (and one side of the actual balcony partition was a metal part of the ship).

It looks like the non/extended Category 12 balconies are the same, as these original ones are the most private balconies in the entire fleet.

The new ones are much, much more open and "exposed".

It's interesting, because this makes so many different cabin/balcony options and combinations.

I have no idea how they are going to price it (although I've been looking), so that it's all fair now.

Between the new regular balcony cabins (small cabin, big balcony)

the Category 11s (larger cabin, small balcony)

Regular Category 12s (large cabin, big balcony)

Extended Category 12s (large cabin, largest balcony)

I see a lot of future cruisers who don't do their homework, calling a lot of "unfair" on what they end up with (and paying) if they get to see and compare these new configurations together!

Oi!

They never used to be openable, (if they are now)...

They were welded to the top and bottom (and one side of the actual balcony partition was a metal part of the ship).

It looks like the non/extended Category 12 balconies are the same, as these original ones are the most private balconies in the entire fleet.

The new ones are much, much more open and "exposed".

It's interesting, because this makes so many different cabin/balcony options and combinations.

I have no idea how they are going to price it (although I've been looking), so that it's all fair now.

Between the new regular balcony cabins (small cabin, big balcony)

the Category 11s (larger cabin, small balcony)

Regular Category 12s (large cabin, big balcony)

Extended Category 12s (large cabin, largest balcony)

I see a lot of future cruisers who don't do their homework, calling a lot of "unfair" on what they end up with (and paying) if they get to see and compare these new configurations together!

Oi!

The Aft balconies don't look like big ones though, do they? (Can you tell I am just hoping!!!)

Thanks for the pictures Tom! I agree about the odd placement of the balconies, but I cannot imagine how one would put just a couple of balconies in the middle of the ship without it looking funny.

I am still confused about the 12s, 11s, 8E, etc... but I have a balcony and am sailing in a little over a month - so I really don't care right now! I am happy with the price that I received so I will not complain.

The aft and real balconies don't look bad, but those midship balconies -- they're just not all that pleasant looking. I think it would look MUCH better if they just went ahead and threw balconies on all the cabins from midship to aft -- would look a LOT better. Just leave the OV cabins to be at the forward part of the ship. Oh well, I can't wait for my cruise on the Sensation regardless of how the thing looks... 6 more weeks!

Now the pressure shifts to those brave souls who board her tomorrow - we require PICTURES!! :D

One would normally assume an effortless embarkation since there were no people to get OFF the ship - but in this case I suspect the opposite will be true (with some enjoyable stories to read too)!!

Tom

Archived