Teenage Daughter in a Separate Room?

Bob26

For our upcoming cruise on Serenade, we got a separate inside cabin for our teenage daughter (we got ourselves a balcony, of course!) When we made the booking, RCCL rules did not allow to put a teenager by herself into a cabin, so it was booked under my name, and my wife and daughter are in a balcony cabin.

Now, when we check in, can we switch the names around - my wife and I in a balcony room and our daughter in an inside cabin? Has anyone done that before?

Thanks.

Bob

I haven't done anything like this, but at a guess I would have thought that the best strategy would be to not let the ship know officially. Just move in to the cabins in the way that you really want, not how the rooms are booked.

That way, the only person who is likely know enough to shop you is your cabin steward. So keep him sweet. :)

Keep this in mind. Your seapass cards will not match, since they are also your room keys. (I know the following from experience) Your daugher will have her mothers card, and the mother, the daughters card. So they will have access to their respective cabins. The cards also indicate if the passenger is old enough to drink. The minor with her mothers card will be able to go to any bar and get a drink, but the mom will have a card that indicates she isn't old enough to drink.

It's really not a big deal, but is inconvenient if you don't realize it until you are thirsty for an adult beverage! LOL!!

I was talking to my TA this week as my eldest daughter and financee might not be able to come, finaly payment made..nothing that insurance will cover...We are also taking my 18 year old. I asked if she was to bring 2 friends, both 18, would that matter as the room is for only 2 (inside cabin) and that she is booked in our room as third person. I would like all 3 to stay in the same room.

She indicated that the room attendants would never say anything, as they would probably never be around when they were in the room, and also it indicates that if the person is under 25 they must have a adjoining or adjacent room which we do....across the hall from our balcony room.

So I feel nothing is wrong with this....if the TA said it was okay.

You can change this around when you board the ship. We have done this a couple of times with our kids. Booking online, it was just easier to book an adult and child in each room. RCI allows this when the children are adjacent or connecting. We also had extra room keys made for us so we could enter our kids rooms without them present.

On Voyager last year we had adjoining rooms but they still required an adult booked into each room. At embarkation, we didn't even have to ask to have the seapass cards switched, the clerk just made them up that way. For whatever reason, RCI doesn't seem to care who is sleeping in what room, they only care that an adult is booked in each room.

I'd be very nervous having her stay alone in a room across the hall. Is there a friend or older cousin you could bring along? I'm assuming you had to pay for one almost as much as you would pay for two for the second room.

We booked our two daughters across the hall from our balcony summer before last on Rhapsody. We made the booking with one adult showing in each room. When we boarded, we went to the purser, who gave my husband and I each seapass cards for both rooms. We switched with the girls so they each had a card for their inside and we had cards to both rooms. Since we were handling both accounts, we weren't worried about that aspect. We had absolutely no problems with anyone and the purser was most helpful. (I did feel a bit sorry for the room steward, though -- he definitely got a workout in their room. We tipped accordingly!! :rolleyes: )

I'm a little confused. (Like that's anything new! LOL!) I thought that I read that if parents and children are travelling together that the children may be booked into a separate cabin, as long as it's next to or across from the parents. I was sure I had read that on the RCI website, but I could be wrong.

Anyone know what the website actually says?

Thanks.

beachchick

I'm a little confused. (Like that's anything new! LOL!) I thought that I read that if parents and children are travelling together that the children may be booked into a separate cabin, as long as it's next to or across from the parents. I was sure I had read that on the RCI website, but I could be wrong.

Anyone know what the website actually says?

Thanks.

beachchick

My TA looked at RCI's brochure and read the rules when I was in the office...and that is exactly what it said...

Our family is leaving on the Grandeur in 28 days (yeah!) and have two 16 year olds across the hall from us and two 18 year olds across from my sister. It was booked this way and we never had to book any adults in their cabins.

We did it as a family last July on Mariner. Son and daughter were to share a room, but we had to make the reservations with me and the son in one room and the wife and duaghter in the other. When checking in, they would not let us change it, but once on board we went to Guest Relations who changed our sea pass cards without question or any hassle.

The cabins do not have to be adjoining, just close to each other, and you do not need to book an adult in each one. We have sailed eight cruises on RCI with our children and children's friends and we have never booked them with an adult in each cabin. The policy is that minors be with adults 25 and over in a cabin close by.

The problems people are having are with their travel agents ignorance of the RCI policy. It's the travel agents who are telling people that they have to book one adult in each room. This not the RCI policy and it's a pain in the %$# going to the desk and trying to change door keys (seas passes around).

It also doesn’t matter if it's your own kids or a relative, the policy refers to family. The family rule is not enforced either. We have sailed with many of our children's friends. You just need a letter of care authorization and they will put the kids in a room on their own nearby.

Here is the reply I got from RCI when I asked about this previously:

Thank you for your e-mail.

Regarding your inquiry, the minimum age requirement for sailing is 21

years. Guests under the age of 21 will not be booked in a stateroom

unless accompanied by an adult 25 years or older.

This age limit will only be waived for:

A. Underage married couples. Proof of marriage is required at pier

check-in. (The "proof of marriage" is the document the guest will receive

from the official presiding at the ceremony; the critical component of

the document is that it be notarized with the signature of the

official).

B. Minor children who are sailing in an *adjacent stateroom or across

the hall to that of their parents or legal guardian(s). This exception

should be limited to the majority of children being within the same

family; (example: if the parents are in a double occupancy stateroom &

their 3 children are in an adjacent quad occupancy stateroom, an additional

fourth child not of the same parents may be added).

Royal Caribbean International also enforces the following age

requirements onboard all its ships:

On Alaska cruises, guests must be 21 years old or older to drink

alcoholic beverages. On European and South American itineraries, guests 18

years old or older may consume alcohol. For all other itineraries,

guests ages 18 through 20 may only drink beer and wine. To drink other

types of alcoholic beverages, guests must be 21 years old or older.

Applicable regulatory age restrictions apply while the ship is in port, and

until it enters international waters.

* Please note: An individual's age on the date of sailing determines

his or her status for the entire sailing. Royal Caribbean International

reserves the right to ask for proof of age.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Maria Perez

Customer Service Representative

The cabins do not have to be adjoining, just close to each other, and you do not need to book an adult in each one. We have sailed eight cruises on RCI with our children and children's friends and we have never booked them with an adult in each cabin. The policy is that minors be with adults 25 and over in a cabin close by.

The problems people are having are with their travel agents ignorance of the RCI policy. It's the travel agents who are telling people that they have to book one adult in each room. This not the RCI policy and it's a pain in the %$# going to the desk and trying to change door keys (seas passes around).

The only reason we book an adult in each cabin is so that we can get the crown and anchor discount on both cabins.

My fiance, daughter and I took our first cruise 2 years ago and it was on and RCI ship. My fiance and I had a balcony cabin and my 17 year old daughter was across the hall from us in an inside cabin........on her own. We booked our room of course in our name, and booked her room in her name and never had a single problem at all.

Additionally, since we were in a balcony (GS suite) we were given concierge level service, and my daughter, even though she was in an inside cabin received the same benefits, which of course makes sense. So if your TA or someone is telling you that your child who is under age cannot be in a cabin without an adult listed in that cabin with you..........they are completely wrong.

We are leaving in January for our second cruise, and we have the same arrangements again. AND we used a different TA this time. Still had absoutely no problem at all.

Archived