Want to take 3yr old and 10yr old kids- help me choose Please!

pajammies

We are thinking of taking our DD's on the next cruise. They are 3yrs and 10yrs old. This will the 6th cruise for my DH an I.

I will start by saying neither of the kids will be joining in the kids club so the ammenities on the ships in that regards does not make a difference to us.

But I'm wondering from some of you experiecnced FAMILY cruisers if some ports will be better. (or other ship ammenities)

Also any suggestions on what we can do with 2 kids that have such an age gap without splitting up (at least while in port).

My options are: (prices are very equal)

1) (the cruise we have booked now but might change) 5 nights on the NCL Dawn to Cozumel and Grand Caymen

I like this one because the length is shorter and who knows if they'll like it, also freestyle dining will allow us to eat whenever they are hungry.

However we have been to Cozumel twice and Grand Caymen before also.

2) 5 nights on Carnival Destiny to Grand Turk, Nassau, Half Moon Cay

I like this one because the itinerary IMO is the best out of the 3 (never been to any of these places)

But I have some concern about dining times (my husband thinks it's a non-issue however)

Destiny has mini golf

3) 7 nights on NCL Pearl to San Juan, St Thomas, Grand Turk, + GSC

I like this one because I would prefer a longer cruise because I LOVE CRUSING:D but also I'm of the thinking that if I'm going to pay to fly everyone down there I might as well stay as long as I can.

Also, again this one is on NCL with freestyle.

Pearl has bowling

I understand that we can go to the buffet anytime on Carnival, I just wouldn't want to do that every night should we get stuck with the late dining.

My husband also has some concerns about having the little one ride in a cab. A bus would be o.k. however.

Any help would be VERY VERY much appriciated because I have been rolling these three cruises around in my head for weeks now and I just can't decide.:confused:

Thanks

Out of your choices, I have only been on the Dawn - but we absolutely loved that cruise. Ours was a 7 day eastern cruise. Freestyle cruising is great for families and virtually all of the dining venues are family friendly, esp the mexican and italian restaurants. I highly recommend it.

This is something to consider about the Dawn - they have two completely separate pool areas. The kids' pool area is amazing (dinosaur themed) and takes up the entire back of the ship, but when we were on the Dawn with our 2 and 5 year olds, we did not spend one single minute at the regular pool. It was odd to have never listened to the bands, sat at the pool bar, etc, but it was fine for us. There is no drink service to the kids' pool. If your 10 year old is "too cool" for the kids' pool, which I don't think she would be (it has two smaller waterslides and its own hot tub), but if she was, you would have to separate because the adult pool is way too deep for your three year old.

The Pearl has a very tiny kids' pool (pales in comparison to the Dawn's) but I think it is right next to the main pool.

Just something to think about.

When would you be planning to take this cruise? We are taking the Destiny 5 day Eastern on March 23rd and would be happy to provide feedback on the ports and ship when we return.

Personally though I like the itinerary of the last one. We did St. Thomas and San Juan before and absolutely loved it. If pricing is the same I would opt for that one.

Out of your choices, I have only been on the Dawn - but we absolutely loved that cruise. Ours was a 7 day eastern cruise. Freestyle cruising is great for families and virtually all of the dining venues are family friendly, esp the mexican and italian restaurants. I highly recommend it.

This is something to consider about the Dawn - they have two completely separate pool areas. The kids' pool area is amazing (dinosaur themed) and takes up the entire back of the ship, but when we were on the Dawn with our 2 and 5 year olds, we did not spend one single minute at the regular pool. It was odd to have never listened to the bands, sat at the pool bar, etc, but it was fine for us. There is no drink service to the kids' pool. If your 10 year old is "too cool" for the kids' pool, which I don't think she would be (it has two smaller waterslides and its own hot tub), but if she was, you would have to separate because the adult pool is way too deep for your three year old.

The Pearl has a very tiny kids' pool (pales in comparison to the Dawn's) but I think it is right next to the main pool.

Just something to think about.

Thank you, I totally forgot about that and we just came off the Dawn in October. We didn't pay much attention because we didn't have our kids with us.

When would you be planning to take this cruise? We are taking the Destiny 5 day Eastern on March 23rd and would be happy to provide feedback on the ports and ship when we return.

That would be great! Thanks

Personally though I like the itinerary of the last one. We did St. Thomas and San Juan before and absolutely loved it. If pricing is the same I would opt for that one.

We have been to St Thomas and San Juan before also and one thing in St Thomas I know the kids would like is that underwater thing. (sorry forget the name) San Juan had the fort that my husband loved but might be a little too long and boring for my 3 year old.

Any one else have any suggestions as far as ports go and what little and "not so little" kids can do?

We are thinking of taking our DD's on the next cruise. They are 3yrs and 10yrs old. This will the 6th cruise for my DH an I.

I will start by saying neither of the kids will be joining in the kids club so the ammenities on the ships in that regards does not make a difference to us.

But I'm wondering from some of you experiecnced FAMILY cruisers if some ports will be better. (or other ship ammenities)

Also any suggestions on what we can do with 2 kids that have such an age gap without splitting up (at least while in port).

My options are: (prices are very equal)

1) (the cruise we have booked now but might change) 5 nights on the NCL Dawn to Cozumel and Grand Caymen

I like this one because the length is shorter and who knows if they'll like it, also freestyle dining will allow us to eat whenever they are hungry.

However we have been to Cozumel twice and Grand Caymen before also.

2) 5 nights on Carnival Destiny to Grand Turk, Nassau, Half Moon Cay

I like this one because the itinerary IMO is the best out of the 3 (never been to any of these places)

But I have some concern about dining times (my husband thinks it's a non-issue however)

Destiny has mini golf

3) 7 nights on NCL Pearl to San Juan, St Thomas, Grand Turk, + GSC

I like this one because I would prefer a longer cruise because I LOVE CRUSING:D but also I'm of the thinking that if I'm going to pay to fly everyone down there I might as well stay as long as I can.

Also, again this one is on NCL with freestyle.

Pearl has bowling

I understand that we can go to the buffet anytime on Carnival, I just wouldn't want to do that every night should we get stuck with the late dining.

My husband also has some concerns about having the little one ride in a cab. A bus would be o.k. however.

Any help would be VERY VERY much appriciated because I have been rolling these three cruises around in my head for weeks now and I just can't decide.:confused:

Thanks

Quoting myself here: I think I must have been tired when I started this thread because I got 2 of the 4 ports wrong for the 7 night on the Pearl. It goes to St Thomas, Samana, Tortola + GSC

I was mixing up NCL's and Carnivals 7 night

I think your 10 year old would be bored by the kids pool on the Dawn. My 7 year old was when we went 2 years ago. Is it rude to ask why no kids club? I think it is one of the best reasons for cruising. Even if it's used in small doses. ie We take the kids to the buffet, in the evening then to the kids club. Allows the wife & I to have dinner together, share some quality time together, maybe see a show. Then pick them up, and let them get room service watch a movie and fall asleep. It's a win, win for everyone. They always make friends and my wife & I get to reconnect.

I think your 10 year old would be bored by the kids pool on the Dawn. My 7 year old was when we went 2 years ago. Is it rude to ask why no kids club? I think it is one of the best reasons for cruising. Even if it's used in small doses. ie We take the kids to the buffet, in the evening then to the kids club. Allows the wife & I to have dinner together, share some quality time together, maybe see a show. Then pick them up, and let them get room service watch a movie and fall asleep. It's a win, win for everyone. They always make friends and my wife & I get to reconnect.

No, not rude.

It's just a personal choice my husband and I have made not to let people we don't know babysit our kids.

My husband and I have gone on all our other cruises without the kids and now are taking them. We don't have a problem with being with our own kids for the full vacation, that's why we are taking a "family vacation".

No, not rude.

It's just a personal choice my husband and I have made not to let people we don't know babysit our kids.

My husband and I have gone on all our other cruises without the kids and now are taking them. We don't have a problem with being with our own kids for the full vacation, that's why we are taking a "family vacation".

I was like that with my oldest when she was younger and to a certain extent I am still that way. No one (but family) watches my kids. No one (but family) is allowed to drive my kids anywhere...and even that is limited.

But once my oldest went to one scheduled cruise activity, she was hooked and there was no turning back. I got to see how the programs worked. The security level of the programs. How much fun the kids have.

So even though I still have boundaries...they can't sign themselves out. They have to spend the majority of time with us. The activities are used mostly at night after dinner and not past 10pm. So it's not dropping the kids off and saying "Buh Bye". It's the kids dropping me off basically. ;)

There hasn't been a cruise (or any trip for that matter) that I have left my children at home. All cruises are "family vacations" for us. And the experience isn't lessoned because the kids choose to go to a kids club event or not. :D

So it is all in your own comfort level. But keep an open mind....you may like what the clubs have to offer. ;)

My son, now 8 has been on 17 cruises and we have used the youth programs on 15 of these cruises and he has an absolute ball. The only problem I have ever had was on Princess, where one of the younger kids was hitting and biting him.

However, my son loves the youth program. They have so many fun things for the kids to do.

I met a gloomy looking pair of kids on Celebrity last year. They were bored stiff in the Meditteranean and the dad said they weren't allowed to be with the kids in the youth program.

In my opinion I feel that you aren't getting your money's worth if the kids don't participate in the youth program and secondly, and more importantly, you aren't allowing your kids to take full advantage of all the things that are afforded to them. For heaven sake- they aren't going to get molested and or stolen on a ship!

My son, now 8 has been on 17 cruises and we have used the youth programs on 15 of these cruises and he has an absolute ball. The only problem I have ever had was on Princess, where one of the younger kids was hitting and biting him.

However, my son loves the youth program. They have so many fun things for the kids to do.

I met a gloomy looking pair of kids on Celebrity last year. They were bored stiff in the Meditteranean and the dad said they weren't allowed to be with the kids in the youth program.

In my opinion I feel that you aren't getting your money's worth if the kids don't participate in the youth program and secondly, and more importantly, you aren't allowing your kids to take full advantage of all the things that are afforded to them.

You don't need to worry about a thing, I will decide how I get my money's worth since it's my money.;)

For heaven sake- they aren't going to get molested and or stolen on a ship!

Really!! Can you promise me that! Do you really think that just because someone works on a cruise ship they are perfect and can do no wrong?

This thread was not for people to try and convince me to use the kids club. I asked a question and specifically said I was not going there. Thanks anyway

Cruisinmama06- the above statement is not really directed at you because I can see an obvious difference in your post and the post from rebeccalouise who obviously thinks I'm crazy.:rolleyes:

Being overprotective doesn't make you crazy. I was trying to dispell your fears about the youth program but I guess I didn't do a very good job. It is personal decision. I can only relay my experience, which have been positive and the kids are never alone with the counselors-there are always more than one counselor with the kids in any age group.

The reason I said that they wouldn't get molested or stolen in the youth program is because there is no where for these people to hide. I feel more comfortable with my son in the youth program than with him wandering around the ship on his own though.

In any event, most 3 year olds don't have much in common with 10 year olds and I thought it might be more fun for your kids to take part in some of the youth program activities. There are family activities offered also, where you can be present. There is a family scavenger hunt for example, whiich you may want to participate in.

Have a wonderful cruise. I am sure your kids will meet plenty of children by the pool or in other areas of the ship.

Hi. We spent 11 wonderful days on the Dawn with our 3 dd's. The youngest was only 2 at the time. We LOVED the ship, crew, food, and children's pool. We've also been on the Spirit, which wasn't our favorite, and this past December spent 9 nights on the NCL Jewel. I would go with the longer cruise on the Pearl. The Pearl is newer than the Jewel(which was beautiful)so I think you would really enjoy the ship. My children have never had a babysitter, other than Aunts and Grandparents, so I know where your coming from in regards to the kids clubs. Our oldest is now almost 13 and really had no desire to visit the kids club. It always amazes us to see so many unsupervised preteens running around the ship, as if their parents feel nothing bad could happen to them. Our youngest 2 have always met other kids around the pool and have enjoyed playing with them there. With my dh busy work schedule, when we finally take a family vacation, I really want to spend the time together. Have a great cruise!

Archived