Looking for One Way Cruise Back South

hockey9934

Just "happened" upon these posts, and I must say that I am very excited for this family and their first cruise - especially after an Alaska camping trip! Wow, you are in for a treat if you choose to cruise down the coast! Your whole trip sounds like an amazing family vacation and you should have a great time. Nancy has given wonderful information for you to absorb. I agree that particularly on the Princess ship two cabins would be very preferable. On Carnival Spirit the cabins are a little larger and 4 in l room might be O.K.

As far as budgeting goes, this will be a problem if you read too much about shore excursions in the ports you visit! Just keep remembering that especially if this is your first cruise and first visit to Alaska, there are free things to do in all the ports you will be visiting, so if you can resist the temptation to take pricey excursions you should be just fine.

We have cruised with our grown children and grandchildren for many years, and all of us agree it's just the best family vacation there is!! Hope it turns out to be the same for you. Enjoy, and please come back to tell us what you decide to do and report back about your adventure. Wishing you the best vacation ever!!

Well...normally I'd say that a cruise that's over the July 4th holiday will book up fast, although that doesn't seem to be the case this year. However, if you can find connecting cabins on the Diamond Princess - I'd pay the deposit while you confirm your plans. Just make sure you cancel by the final payment date if you change your mind.

I called Princess today to make some inquiries. The largest suites are already gone on this cruise. Balcony cabins were the largest they had left. I forget which letter class they were. There was not alot of difference in the square footage between the balcony and the insides so the 2 insides make alot more sense although the balcony would be nice to have but it doesnt seem worth it. If we go it will definitely be the 2 inside cabins.

Just "happened" upon these posts, and I must say that I am very excited for this family and their first cruise - especially after an Alaska camping trip! Wow, you are in for a treat if you choose to cruise down the coast! Your whole trip sounds like an amazing family vacation and you should have a great time. Nancy has given wonderful information for you to absorb. I agree that particularly on the Princess ship two cabins would be very preferable. On Carnival Spirit the cabins are a little larger and 4 in l room might be O.K.

As far as budgeting goes, this will be a problem if you read too much about shore excursions in the ports you visit! Just keep remembering that especially if this is your first cruise and first visit to Alaska, there are free things to do in all the ports you will be visiting, so if you can resist the temptation to take pricey excursions you should be just fine.

We have cruised with our grown children and grandchildren for many years, and all of us agree it's just the best family vacation there is!! Hope it turns out to be the same for you. Enjoy, and please come back to tell us what you decide to do and report back about your adventure. Wishing you the best vacation ever!!

Thanks for the encouragement. Whatever we do I am sure it will be alot of enjoyment. I was checking out the shore excursions and many do seem fun but also pricey when talking about 4 people. What would be some of the free things to do in ports like Juneau and Skagway for instance? We are not shoppers so would not be interested in much of that.

I need to sit down with my wife and kids in front of the computer and really figure out exactly what we want to do. If we are going to extend with the cruise I want to get it booked.

Thanks for the encouragement. Whatever we do I am sure it will be alot of enjoyment. I was checking out the shore excursions and many do seem fun but also pricey when talking about 4 people. What would be some of the free things to do in ports like Juneau and Skagway for instance? We are not shoppers so would not be interested in much of that.

I need to sit down with my wife and kids in front of the computer and really figure out exactly what we want to do. If we are going to extend with the cruise I want to get it booked.

Skagway, for a family of 4, best bargain is car-rental with a drive on the Klondike Highway. We used the guide posted by Yukon, drove from Skagway, through a small portion of BC and into the Yukon Territory. Many use Emerald Lake as a turn-around point. I enjoyed driving through Tormented Valley, especially. The following will give you information on the drive... I have not seen the guide that is available now, but no doubt it's worth the $5. The guide we used in '05 was great, I'm sure it's done nothing but get better. Car was around $70 then, less than $20pp for our family of 4, entire day. Plus fuel, of course. :)

http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html

http://www.explorenorth.com/murraysguide/index.html

Free would be the Klondike Gold Rush National Park. Rangers offer a guided walking tour of historical highlights of Skagway throughout the day. You must get your name on the list asap, however, as time slots fill fast, and space is limited. Afternoon tour slots begin filling in the morning, our experience.

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/

I don't recall the ages of your children. The Red Onion Saloon has a fun little tour of the upstairs brothel for $5pp. Age appropriate, of course!

Juneau has Mendenhall Glacier, and the transfers are worth the money at $15 or so, round-trip from Juneau.

Also the Mt. Roberts tram. I believe the tram is in the TourSaver? If you're utilizing TourSaver(s) on your land-trip, this would be another good place to pull out the coupons. But, don't even consider it if the weather is hazy, misty, or otherwise low visibility. Save your money.

DH and I rode the city bus around Juneau one year. Definitely off the beaten tourist path... and a bit interesting to say the least. Very cheap. But I highly don't recommend this ~excursion~ unless you just have time to waste.... ;)

Well, nothing I mentioned is free, as you asked, except for the NP walk in Skagway... but they are relatively low cost.

Have a great trip!

Chat Noir: Thanks for the suggestions. Good ideas. If its up to me we will go. Just have to see what the rest of the family wants to do. The kids are teenagers and while excited about the trip the idea of 2 weeks away from friends may be traumatizing. Still who knows if and when we will get back to Alaska so I am going to tell them to go for it.

Archived