Looking for One Way Cruise Back South

hockey9934

We are doing a 6 day multi-sport camping trip in late June that starts and ends in Anchorage. For the return I was thinking of trying to find a cruise back south to the Seattle or even Vancouver area and then fly home from there. We would not be looking for alot of activities on this cruise and would like to keep this to 4 days if possible because of time constraints. From what I have learned so far it seems all crusies are at least 7 days.

Does anyone know of anything shorter than that? If not I would be interested in any recommendations on the best port to leave from near Anchorage and any other information. We have never been on a cruise of any type (owned a sailboat for awhile) so am not sure what to look for. I would like it to be fun but somewhat relaxing after the multi-sport trip which seems like its going to be fun but very busy.

Thanks for any comments.

If you want to get to Vancouver or Seattle in less than 7 days, you'd have to take the Alaska Marine Highway - aka the ferry. One-way southbound cruises leave from either Whittier or Seward, Alaska and end in Vancouver. There are some very good prices on Alaska cruises right now, so I would book one and enjoy the port towns, glaciers, and good food!

"you'd have to take the Alaska Marine Highway " Is that http://www.ferryalaska.com? If so I have been trying to contact them but couldn't wait on hold and had to go. Will try again.Do you have any info on how the ferry works, where you board, do you just sit and watch the scenery go by or is there more to it?

Good prices sound good. There are 4 of us. Husband, wife, 2 teens. Do you have any recommendations for a cruise? I know we would prefer something on the medium or small side and informal. We don't want to take alot of extra clothes for a cruise. The more I think about this I like the idea of cruising back

Yes - that's the right web site for the ferry. I've taken the ferry only once, and that was between Valdez and Whittier. I'm not sure how you go about booking it for a one-way passage to Vancouver or Seattle.

Princess (Saturday and Monday departures) and Carnival (Wednesday departures) leave from Whittier. Departing from Seward you have Royal Caribbean and Celebrity on alternating Fridays, and Holland America on Fridays and Sundays. Royal Caribbean would be the most informal from Seward, and Carnival would be the most informal from Whittier. However, both cruise lines use 2,000+ passenger ships. Holland America will have the smallest ships with between 1200 and 1400 passengers. You could cruise on a very small and informal cruise line like Cruise West, but that would cost a small fortune for 4 people!

To get an idea of prices, go to a site like Expedia or Travelocity, look at cruises leaving from Seward and Whittier for the approximate time you want to return, and see what turns up. I should've said that there are some cheap cruises - especially early in the cruise season. However, late June is peak cruise season, so prices will be higher. There may be some good price drops about 2 months before the sail date - after people have made their final payments and the cruise lines drop prices to fill the ships.

Looking at the ferry's web site, it looks like you will have to take 2 ferries. The ferry from Whittier only goes as far as Prince Rupert, BC. You could take the first ferry from Whittier to Juneau and then change ferries to one going to Bellingham, WA. A cabin with 4 berths from Whittier to Juneau is $354 outside/$296 inside. A 4-berth cabin from Juneau to Bellingham is $533 outside with sitting room and $484 reg. outside. The passenger fare from Whittier to Juneau is $221/pp and from Juneau to Bellingham is $326/pp. So if I read the charts correctly (and I may not have) - you're looking at a minimum of $780 for the cabins and $2188 for the passenger fare. That comes to $2968, and that doesn't include any meals!

The Wed., July 1st Carnival Spirit from Whittier to Vancouver has a "Fun Saver" fare of $529/pp for the first 2 people and $299/pp for 3rd + 4th passengers in an inside guarantee cabin. Total with taxes is $2013.80. A balcony guarantee is $779/pp for the first 2 people and $359/pp for 3rd + 4th passengers. Total with taxes is $2733.80. This is from Carnival's web site: http://www.carnival.com/Itinerary.aspx?embkCode=ANC&itinCode=GS7&durDays=7&shipCode=SP&subRegionCode=AS&rateCode=PSE&sailingID=46790&sailDate=7/1/2009

The Friday, June 26 Radiance of the Seas from Seward has an inside guarantee at $549/pp. However, to put 4 in a cabin the price jumps to $699/pp and there is no price break for the 3rd and 4th passengers. If you choose that ship, I would book 2 cabins at the inside guarantee rate, listing 1 adult and 1 teen per cabin. The total for 2 inside cabins is $2671.44 ($1335.72/cabin of 2 people). It's more expensive than an inside on Carnival, but you'd have a lot more space - including 2 bathrooms.

NancyIL: Thanks for all the research. I really do appreciate it. The way our vacation times are set up and with what we have already booked we would have to leave on a 7 day cruise SB on June 27 or 28. The 29th might work but the 27th is best. I found a Princess Cruise (Diamond Star)that leaves Whittier for Vancouver on June 27. Hopefully we could get an Alaska Air flight out of Vancouver onJuly 4 . Inside cabin is $599 but might be as low as $459 through Travelocity. I have to read the fine print with more care to see exactly what the deal is.

We have travelled alot but never been on a cruise. I am going to read up on Cruising on this forum as I figure there must be some good info on the ins and outs of it all. One thing that I wonder about is the rooms. I would like to keep it as cheap as possible because the first leg of the trip (multi-sport) is already costing. On one hand we do want to spend as much time together as a family as possible and these rooms seem so small that being in the rooms together doesnt sound like alot of fun. On the other hand I have heard that on a cruise you spend very little time in the rooms anyway that it doesnt matter. I really do not have a good idea of how people spend time on a cruise, especially an Alaska Cruise, and would appreciate your opinion on this. Thanks much.

If you want to get to Vancouver or Seattle in less than 7 days, you'd have to take the Alaska Marine Highway - aka the ferry. One-way southbound cruises leave from either Whittier or Seward, Alaska and end in Vancouver. There are some very good prices on Alaska cruises right now, so I would book one and enjoy the port towns, glaciers, and good food!

I think that the ferry actually takes more than seven days to go from Anchorage to Bellingham, and involves a change of boats at least once along the way.

"I know we would prefer something on the medium or small side and informal. We don't want to take alot of extra clothes for a cruise. The more I think about this I like the idea of cruising back"

From my experience, you can make a cruise as formal or informal as you like. Many people don't go into the main dining room for meals. There is a casual dining area that you will be very comfortable and well fed in. Since you are mainly using the cruise as transportation from Anchorage south, I would stick to the casual areas of the ship and not worry about formal wear! Once you experience the wonder of a cruise, I say that you will be back for more, then you can get prettied up for the traditional formal night if you like.

I found a Princess Cruise (Diamond Star)that leaves Whittier for Vancouver on June 27. Hopefully we could get an Alaska Air flight out of Vancouver onJuly 4 . Inside cabin is $599 but might be as low as $459 through Travelocity. I have to read the fine print with more care to see exactly what the deal is.

We have travelled alot but never been on a cruise.

One thing that I wonder about is the rooms. I would like to keep it as cheap as possible because the first leg of the trip (multi-sport) is already costing. On one hand we do want to spend as much time together as a family as possible and these rooms seem so small that being in the rooms together doesnt sound like alot of fun. On the other hand I have heard that on a cruise you spend very little time in the rooms anyway that it doesnt matter. I really do not have a good idea of how people spend time on a cruise, especially an Alaska Cruise, and would appreciate your opinion on this. Thanks much.

Diamond Princess will be a fabulous ship for your family. It is quite large, and offers something for everyone. Our (teen) sons enjoyed Sapphire Princess, a twin to the Diamond. All 4 of us were in one cabin, not a big problem as none of us spend much time in the cabin except to catch up on zzzz's.

Your cruise can be as relaxed or as activity filled as you wish. My DH and I prefer to sit quietly on deck or by one of the windows and enjoy the scenery, our boys enjoyed the activities more than the scenery. Ports, you can keep low keep and very budget friendly by planning inexpensive/free activities, or you can go with costly excursions.

I think that the ferry actually takes more than seven days to go from Anchorage to Bellingham, and involves a change of boats at least once along the way.

I realized it required a change of ferries when I looked at the prices - which are higher than a cheap cabin on a cruise ship. I didn't look at the schedules so have no idea how long it would take.

NancyIL: Thanks for all the research. I really do appreciate it. The way our vacation times are set up and with what we have already booked we would have to leave on a 7 day cruise SB on June 27 or 28. The 29th might work but the 27th is best. I found a Princess Cruise (Diamond Star)that leaves Whittier for Vancouver on June 27. Hopefully we could get an Alaska Air flight out of Vancouver onJuly 4 . Inside cabin is $599 but might be as low as $459 through Travelocity. I have to read the fine print with more care to see exactly what the deal is.

We have travelled alot but never been on a cruise. I am going to read up on Cruising on this forum as I figure there must be some good info on the ins and outs of it all. One thing that I wonder about is the rooms. I would like to keep it as cheap as possible because the first leg of the trip (multi-sport) is already costing. On one hand we do want to spend as much time together as a family as possible and these rooms seem so small that being in the rooms together doesnt sound like alot of fun. On the other hand I have heard that on a cruise you spend very little time in the rooms anyway that it doesnt matter. I really do not have a good idea of how people spend time on a cruise, especially an Alaska Cruise, and would appreciate your opinion on this. Thanks much.

If the price for the 3rd and 4th passengers on the Diamond Princess is not significantly less than for the first 2 people - I would get 2 inside cabins.

Thanks. From what I have read here and on the Ferry website the ferry doesn't seem like a good idea. Not really practical and too costly for what we have in mind.

"

From my experience, you can make a cruise as formal or informal as you like. Many people don't go into the main dining room for meals. There is a casual dining area that you will be very comfortable and well fed in.

Thanks. I am glad to hear that. 99.9% of the time this what we look for on vacation. We much prefer just being able to walk in and get a burger or pasta or whatever than having to make reservations, seatings, etc.

Diamond Princess will be a fabulous ship for your family. It is quite large, and offers something for everyone. Our (teen) sons enjoyed Sapphire Princess, a twin to the Diamond. All 4 of us were in one cabin, not a big problem as none of us spend much time in the cabin except to catch up on zzzz's.

Your cruise can be as relaxed or as activity filled as you wish. My DH and I prefer to sit quietly on deck or by one of the windows and enjoy the scenery, our boys enjoyed the activities more than the scenery. Ports, you can keep low keep and very budget friendly by planning inexpensive/free activities, or you can go with costly excursions.

I appreciate the comment on the Diamond Princess and am glad to hear that.

Re the cabin: My first instinct is to have all 4 of us in 1 nicer bigger space rather than 2 smaller spaces. We would like to be able to all chill in 1 place together. How is the pricing on this as compared to 2 smaller inside cabins?

If the price for the 3rd and 4th passengers on the Diamond Princess is not significantly less than for the first 2 people - I would get 2 inside cabins.

Thats interesting. Why do you say this? My first instinct is to get 1 nicer bigger room if possible. Wouldn't a cabin that sleeps 4 be larger and in a better spot on the boat than the 2 inside cabins? What is it about the rooms and pricing structure that make the 2 inside cabins a better choice or more desirable?

Generally the cabins that hold 4 are no larger than those that hold 2. Most have upper births that pull down from the wall. I've looked in cabins when the door has been open and the bunks are pulled down, it's wall to wall beds! On Princess the mini-suites have a sofa bed .... don't know how comfortable that would be for teenagers! I'd think 2 insides, next door to each other, would be the way to go. That way you have 2 bathrooms, too.

Generally the cabins that hold 4 are no larger than those that hold 2. Most have upper births that pull down from the wall. I've looked in cabins when the door has been open and the bunks are pulled down, it's wall to wall beds! On Princess the mini-suites have a sofa bed .... don't know how comfortable that would be for teenagers! I'd think 2 insides, next door to each other, would be the way to go. That way you have 2 bathrooms, too.

Thanks. Good answer. Sounds logical. I appreciate all the responses as I am starting to get a feel for what is involved in cruise. I don't know if its just me but there seems to be alot of ins and outs that don't seem to be there when dealing with a resort type vacation.

I appreciate the comment on the Diamond Princess and am glad to hear that.

Re the cabin: My first instinct is to have all 4 of us in 1 nicer bigger space rather than 2 smaller spaces. We would like to be able to all chill in 1 place together. How is the pricing on this as compared to 2 smaller inside cabins?

We've sailed twice with all 4 of us in one cabin, significant savings going that route both times over having two insides. For only 7 nights (that 'sail' by), I can deal with cramped space and spend my money elsewhere. It's not the best, but certainly not the worst situation. Once we had a balcony cabin (Carnival Spirit southbound) and once we had an oceanview (Sapphire Princess northbound). It seems the cabin on Spirit was a bit larger, but not enough to really make a difference to us. Both had pull-down bunks for the boys. The room steward will raise each morning and lower each evening if you prefer them out of your way.

Some people don't want to be crammed into a small space... we raised our boys taking road trips and tent camping... so we were used to togetherness on vacation. Now that they're grown, I miss those days!!!

Really, it'll just boil down to your priority and your budget. :) Either way, I think a cruise will be a nice ending for your land visit to Alaska.

Thats interesting. Why do you say this? My first instinct is to get 1 nicer bigger room if possible. Wouldn't a cabin that sleeps 4 be larger and in a better spot on the boat than the 2 inside cabins? What is it about the rooms and pricing structure that make the 2 inside cabins a better choice or more desirable?

Usually there is a significant price break for 3rd and 4th passengers in the same cabin. However, these Alaska cruises are priced so low that the 3rd and 4th passenger prices may not be much less. On the June 27 Diamond Princess, inside cabins start at $599/pp for the first two people and $499/pp for the 3rd and 4th passengers in the same cabin. I'd say paying $200 more for another cabin for the kids is a good use of money - especially having 2 bathrooms! You might be able to get connecting inside cabins.

Some people don't want to be crammed into a small space... we raised our boys taking road trips and tent camping... so we were used to togetherness on vacation. Now that they're grown, I miss those days!!!

Really, it'll just boil down to your priority and your budget. :) Either way, I think a cruise will be a nice ending for your land visit to Alaska.

Most of the times we have always opted for more space on vacations. Always gotten the extra room with the exception of 1 night stayovers. You are right it will come down to priority and budget. I have a better handle on it now then I did before. Only problem is now that I have found this board I am fascinated by all the info and don't have time to read it all.

Usually there is a significant price break for 3rd and 4th passengers in the same cabin. However, these Alaska cruises are priced so low that the 3rd and 4th passenger prices may not be much less. On the June 27 Diamond Princess, inside cabins start at $599/pp for the first two people and $499/pp for the 3rd and 4th passengers in the same cabin. I'd say paying $200 more for another cabin for the kids is a good use of money - especially having 2 bathrooms! You might be able to get connecting inside cabins.

I agree about spending an extra $200 for an extra cabin. With all the money spent already 200 isn't much for an extra room. Connecting cabins would be great. We have had many vacations where we have had adjoining rooms and it works out great for us. Now we have to figure out exactly what we want to do. We really have to decide if we want to add another 7 days on and I have to check flights to make sure we can change our existing reservation and make sure all the times line up so we can get this done

One last question: I have no idea how these cruises book. How long do you think we have to book this particular cruise?

I agree about spending an extra $200 for an extra cabin. With all the money spent already 200 isn't much for an extra room. Connecting cabins would be great. We have had many vacations where we have had adjoining rooms and it works out great for us. Now we have to figure out exactly what we want to do. We really have to decide if we want to add another 7 days on and I have to check flights to make sure we can change our existing reservation and make sure all the times line up so we can get this done

One last question: I have no idea how these cruises book. How long do you think we have to book this particular cruise?

Well...normally I'd say that a cruise that's over the July 4th holiday will book up fast, although that doesn't seem to be the case this year. However, if you can find connecting cabins on the Diamond Princess - I'd pay the deposit while you confirm your plans. Just make sure you cancel by the final payment date if you change your mind.

Archived