Liberty of the Seas 1/31 to 2/7/09 Review with pics

TFlo

2643471160044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2956433280044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2269294130044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2375472770044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

By the time we were done, the sun had set and I could get a few pics of the ship lit up:

2310647500044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

Once back on the ship, Sally was really feeling the sun from the morning. You know, having absolutely no base tan and then getting a heavy dose of sun can really do some damage, and her face and chest were just blood red. Since we knew she'd never get any sleep without a fan, I asked our steward, Jimmy, who was from Nicaragua by the way -- I forgot to mention that earlier -- if there was any way we could get a fan in our room to use since Sally was

sunburned. He said he had a fan in his room and he

wasn't using it so he would let us use it. I thanked him

profusely and I left him a $10 bill with a thank you note

for that. It was great having the fan for both the cooling effect and for the noise.

Tomorrow, St. Maarten.

Day 4 - St. Maarten:

After a wonderful day yesterday in the sun and in San Juan we really felt like we were in the Caribbean and looking forward to St. Maarten today.

We docked about 9:00 a.m. We had scheduled a tour with Joyce Prince. Again, after seeing her name on the CC boards and hearing all the great reviews I contacted Joyce and arranged a private tour for the 4 of us. Her usual tour was $40 per person and she only charged us $55 per person for the personal tour. It was the best money we ever spent. Joyce was there at the pre-arranged meeting location shortly after we got there and was really flexible with the tour. She told us all about the island, all about why there's a Dutch and and French side, took us to all the major touristy places and then showed us some not-so-well-known places on the island. She showed us the best places to shop, along with where the locals shop. She was extremely informative and I would recommend her to anyone interested.

Here's some pics of our tour:

2338988860044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2659635050044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2913887910044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2817086920044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

Here's one of us with Joyce:

2179616470044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

Fantastic review so far. I love the pictures. I am not sailing on Liberty until December so this makes the waiting a little less unbearable!!! Can't wait for more!!

Thanks, Jenner9. It's great reliving it, especially since we got another 3 inches of snow this morning. I can almost feel the warmth and hear the steel drums!! :)

Tim

Thanks, Jenner9. It's great reliving it, especially since we got another 3 inches of snow this morning. I can almost feel the warmth and hear the steel drums!! :)

Tim

I live in Wisconsin so I know how you are feeling (it was snowing here as well)...I am imagining the warmth and beautiful Caribbean water through your review and photos!! I too can almost feel the warmth of the sun on my face!!!! :D

Joyce showed all the major attractions like Orient Beach:

2474802510044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2040060700044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

Maho Beach and the Sunset Beach Bar:

2808665920044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2792823910044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2720363260044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

I didn't get any pictures of planes landing because we weren't there at the right time, but next time we go, that's something we have to see in person.

This one's a view from our balcony:

2860492910044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

After the tour, Joyce dropped us off where we could do some shopping and then we had lunch and over to the Divi Little Bay Beach Resort for some beach time close to the ship.

Back on the ship we took a little rest and then got ready for dinner in the main dining room.

Here we are sporting our burns:

2257963170044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

After dinner we went to the ice rink to see the ice show I've heard so much about. It was a really great show! The cast were total professionals and the shows costumes and performances were top-notch. Definitely a must-see!!

2708111780044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2728583660044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2984449480044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2655878360044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2212073460044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

Oh, WOW, this is a G R E A T thread!!!

We'll be on this same itinerary two weeks from TODAY ... and in case you can't tell I'm really really really excited!! :D

Thanks, and you're going to have a great time!!! It was over so fast and we anticipated it for so long that I want to go again!

Tim

Greatings fellow Michigander! There are actually several people that are reading your review that will be on the same itinerary Feb 28th.

I do have a question. Do you happen to recall which nights were your formal night?

Well HELLO NEIGHBOR!!! :D

Yes, I do recall. The formal nights were Sunday, the first at sea day, and Wednesday, the second at sea day.

Tim

After the ice show our friends were off to read and then go to bed so the wife and I headed up to the Viking Lounge for a little music and a Drink of the Day.

I think it was this night that we went to see the Love & Marriage game, but I might have my nights mixed up. Whatever night it was, it was hysterical!! The longest married couple had been married for 67 years :eek:. They were very spry and sound of mind and still doin' it!!! You go!!

Day 5 - A day at sea:

The next morning we decided to relax and lounge around a little. Our friends went out to the pool and we wanted something a little cooler, so we opted to play some bingo. Phil, the activities director, was in charge of bingo and helped out the the Love & Marriage game the night before. He is a crazy, crazy man to say the least. He was a lot of fun!!

2373961310044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

We didn't win, but it was fun nonetheless.

The rest of the day was just exploring around the ship and watching people.

Some more shots of the ship:

2124723030044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2919464910044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2293735120044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2643503860044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2532513600044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

:)

Hi Tim & Sally:

It's me! The lone wanderer.

Wonderful pictures and wonderful review! Although I'm pretty much hidden in that pole shot. lol

It was really great meeting you both, and of course the others that I got past just recognizing the face, but could also remember the name that went with that face.

I can't wait to read and see more. Your putting it into words, saves me the trouble of trying to pin point all that I saw or did.

Of course I did the segway in the DARK. (but, I did do it) All of you out there, don't just think about it, do it. Its a wonderful experience and anyone (we had a young man with an artificial leg) can do it.

Came home to a few more plumbing issues, but, hopefully, things will settle down and I can plan my next cruise.

Later,

Marianne

p.s. Tim would it be hard for you to make a cd thingy of your pictures, one that, I can look at as well as have some printed up? I am totally impaired in this area. I would be glad to send you $$. I never seemed to have my camera at the right time or place, or I got someones head, or arm or some other part of their body in the picture. My email is m dot loughman at sbc global dot net, and then I can give you my address. Don't send them to me that way, (by email) because I can never find where they are and then I can't do anything with them if I do find them.

Just asking................. and thanking you in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By now Sally has recovered from the sunburn and probably wishing she could find some more sun. We have had melting, more snow, and now, cold again. Who knows whats next.

Keep in touch all of you CCers.

:)

Hi Tim & Sally:

It's me! The lone wanderer.

Wonderful pictures and wonderful review! Although I'm pretty much hidden in that pole shot. lol

It was really great meeting you both, and of course the others that I got past just recognizing the face, but could also remember the name that went with that face.

I can't wait to read and see more. Your putting it into words, saves me the trouble of trying to pin point all that I saw or did.

Of course I did the segway in the DARK. (but, I did do it) All of you out there, don't just think about it, do it. Its a wonderful experience and anyone (we had a young man with an artificial leg) can do it.

Came home to a few more plumbing issues, but, hopefully, things will settle down and I can plan my next cruise.

Later,

Marianne

p.s. Tim would it be hard for you to make a cd thingy of your pictures, one that, I can look at as well as have some printed up? I am totally impaired in this area. I would be glad to send you $$. I never seemed to have my camera at the right time or place, or I got someones head, or arm or some other part of their body in the picture. My email is m dot loughman at sbc global dot net, and then I can give you my address. Don't send them to me that way, (by email) because I can never find where they are and then I can't do anything with them if I do find them.

Just asking................. and thanking you in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By now Sally has recovered from the sunburn and probably wishing she could find some more sun. We have had melting, more snow, and now, cold again. Who knows whats next.

Keep in touch all of you CCers.

Hi Marianne! Nice to hear from you. I absolutely will send you the pictures, no problem. I'll email you and you can send me your address.

Yeah, Sally's burn is long gone, thanks for asking.

We had a big melt of snow, but since our house faces north and there's so little sun in our front yard, we still have a huge pile of snow out there. As a matter of fact, just yesterday I got the Nativity scene off our front lawn. No kidding!! It was buried in snow and then when the snow melted enough to see the people, all the electrical cords were frozen to the ground. I had to go out with the tea kettle full of boiling water to free everyone. I though, no way am I going to have the Christmas decorations on the front lawn on Valentine's Day. How embarrassing!! LOL.

Look for my email.

Tim

We are also going on the Liberty later this year and I'm so enjoying your review. You seem to be so upbeat. Thanks

Thanks, Lori!

You know, my view is always of the glass being half full. I'm on vacation and no matter what, I can find something to do. It's all good.

Tim

I didn't actually try the Flowrider myself, though I might have if nobody was watching. LOL. Seriously, though, I knew I'd break something if I did try, so, no!

I unfortunately don't have pictures of the rock climbing wall or the mini golf or basketball area, but they were all very cool.

We had decided that this day would be a day that we didn't go into the Windjammer at all, so we went to the main dining room for breakfast -- the only time we did that -- and it was very nice. We got a table for 4 and the waiter was nice.

We later decided we'd have lunch at Johnny Rockets. I loved Johnny Rockets!! The food was great! The malts were great!! Loved the onion rings and fries! The wait staff doing their dances -- priceless!!

Here's some pics:

2491966500044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2316436260044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2380486750044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2094717100044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

It is really nice seeing people from many different countries getting in a line and dancing to a Bee Gees or Donna Sommers tune. Love it!

Hi Tim and Sally!!!!!! It is shanna from Michigan and we are planning our March 28, 2010 cruise on Liberty! I was so excited to see your posts, I was just yelling at DH, GET IN HERE YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS!!!!

How wonderful to finally get a "real life" opinion on your cruise. From someone we don't really know, but, know of from our Michiganders thread!

I must agree with a previous post from one who will be sailing in December--------------your information and photos will help us get to 2010!!!!! I was thrilled when we booked last month, but, nothing has got my heart racing like reading your "cruise Report!!!"

Thank you so much for all of your descriptions and photos!!!! I think those of us from Michigan must appreciate the warm Caribbean sun and RCCI, as posts from Michigan Cruisers are so VIVID.....; Maybe we all could get a $ for our cruise reviews for the RCCI site!!!!! LOL

WONDERFUL JOB! Again you have me more excited than when we booked last month! We are taking our then to be 9 year old son and his cousin (13 then) and we are not telling them until Christmas 2009!!!! It is so hard for me to keep this secret! But, it will be so worth it.

Our March 28, 2010 cruise is sailing to different ports of call----Ochos Rios, Jamica, Labadee, Hati, Cozumel, Mexico and George Town, Grand Caymen. We will not be getting off the ship in Labadee, but, we are going to attempt deep sea fishing in Jamica!!!! My DH is an avid Bass fisherperson here in Little o'l Michigan, and well I guess that is our past time in the summer -- along with camping! The only problem I have after returning home from, a cruise, is when i raise my hand for a drink, i wait, wait, wait, then realize, NOPE YOUR NOT BEING SPOILED ANYMORE!!!

Thank you again for such a wonderful post! Talk to you in MICHIGANDERS BOARD!!!!

Hi Tim and Sally!!!!!! It is shanna from Michigan and we are planning our March 28, 2010 cruise on Liberty! I was so excited to see your posts, I was just yelling at DH, GET IN HERE YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS!!!!

How wonderful to finally get a "real life" opinion on your cruise. From someone we don't really know, but, know of from our Michiganders thread!

I must agree with a previous post from one who will be sailing in December--------------your information and photos will help us get to 2010!!!!! I was thrilled when we booked last month, but, nothing has got my heart racing like reading your "cruise Report!!!"

Thank you so much for all of your descriptions and photos!!!! I think those of us from Michigan must appreciate the warm Caribbean sun and RCCI, as posts from Michigan Cruisers are so VIVID.....; Maybe we all could get a $ for our cruise reviews for the RCCI site!!!!! LOL

WONDERFUL JOB! Again you have me more excited than when we booked last month! We are taking our then to be 9 year old son and his cousin (13 then) and we are not telling them until Christmas 2009!!!! It is so hard for me to keep this secret! But, it will be so worth it.

Our March 28, 2010 cruise is sailing to different ports of call----Ochos Rios, Jamica, Labadee, Hati, Cozumel, Mexico and George Town, Grand Caymen. We will not be getting off the ship in Labadee, but, we are going to attempt deep sea fishing in Jamica!!!! My DH is an avid Bass fisherperson here in Little o'l Michigan, and well I guess that is our past time in the summer -- along with camping! The only problem I have after returning home from, a cruise, is when i raise my hand for a drink, i wait, wait, wait, then realize, NOPE YOUR NOT BEING SPOILED ANYMORE!!!

Thank you again for such a wonderful post! Talk to you in MICHIGANDERS BOARD!!!!

Thanks, Shanna, for the wonderful words! You're going to love your cruise, and telling the kids at Christmas will be hard, but so worth the wait! We did that last year for our January 2008 cruise on the Enchantment. The kids knew we were going but they didn't know they were going until Christmas. It was an awesome trip to watch your kids experience something like that.

My boys are now 15 and 19 and we didn't take them this time on the Liberty. The 19-year-old really didn't care to much either way about the cruise, but my 15-year-old loved, loved, loved it. It was very difficult being on the ship and seeing the things that my son would have loved to do: Flowrider, rock climbing wall, kareoke, our Segway excursion -- I had to stop thinking about it or I felt really guilty.

Anyway, he's going next time for sure.

Take care and see you around town :D

Tim

After some more relaxing around the ship it was again time to get ready for dinner. Tonight was our second formal night, so that meant canapes and petifors (sp?) in our cabin.

After we got all dressed up we decided to go to a couple of the photographers and have our picture taken. There was very little line that we had to wait in and we were done in a breeze. Then we went to dinner.

After dinner we decided to go to the production show In The Air. We didn't go to the other production shows -- just too much to do. This was supposed to be like a Cirque Du Soleil type show.

I personally didn't like the show at all -- well, other than the singers. They had really amazing voices -- but the show to me seemed very amateurish and high school-like. Although the costumes and sets were really nice, I was disappointed. Others may disagree with me, but not worth the time.

2349681500044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2724043410044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2723113260044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2648540980044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2081919920044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2661870560044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

After the show it was off to the Viking Lounge for music and a Drink of the Day, and then off to bed.

Day 6 - Labadee:

This is the port that I think I was most excited about. I just wanted a port where I wasn't so tempted to do some expensive excursion, just lay on the beach, swim in the warm ocean. I even won a free floating mat at bingo the morning before, so I was all set.

In researching the ports, I knew exactly how it was going to go down, what we were going to do, which beach we'd go to and when. Guess what?!? It's not always up to you. Mother Nature gets a say, too, and I hadn't asked her!!

When we got up Thursday morning, we found it cool and foggy with drizzle. I figured it would clear up -- that's what everybody told me about the Caribbean -- "Tim, it's not like home in Michigan. If it rains, it's just a little tropical shower, no worries."

UMMMM. . .NOT!!

We had what I like to call the perfect storm. It's one thing if it's cool out because as long as you're sheltered, the sun still warms you up. It's one thing if there's no sun, because it's still warm out and you don't have to worry about sun burn. It's one thing if it's windy out 'cause it really cools you down from the sun. It's one thing if it's raining but since it's so warm and you're swimming anyway, no biggie.

Well, what if there's no sun, the temperature is hovering around 70, it's windy and it's raining?

I was really disappointed in the weather, but I wasn't disappointed in the island. It stopped raining long enough for us to lay on the beach under a tree for a little while. Got some really cool shots of the ship from the island. The zipline was still going and got to see some of that. Our friends swam for about an hour while we were there. Sally and I chose not to swim because we have a pool at home that we keep open till sometime in September. Now, it may be nice during the day but it tends to be quite cool in the evening and when we swim in the evening, though the water is warm, getting out of the water is just torture. On Labadee I didn't have a change of clothes with me and didn't want to get out of the water and freeze.

Okay. Here's some pics:

2826100030044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2494610500044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2013769390044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2834927700044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2764337160044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

2444652010044596040S500x500Q85.jpg

Archived