anyone been on funchal?

seabourndt

Yes, I have been wondering how Seabourndt is going. Let's hope he remembers us in between cruises. The cigars have got me a bit worried, too. Hope you had good weather, Seabourndt!

Hi matilda, hope you are well, can't wait to hear from seabourndt after his cruise, hope he is having a wonderful time!!! c'mon seabourndt, hurry back and tell us all about the funchal!!!! we want to know everything that happended!!! first cruise (lea).

Hi Lea, Yes, I'm fine, and waiting for Seabourndt's continuation of his review of his Funchal cruise. I've forgotten exactly when he gets back, and I guess he has to to do a few urgent things before putting us out our suspense. By the way, my email address is ldboseley@yahoo.com.au in case you wanted to get in touch with any other Funchal queries, or whatever. Cheers, Matilda.

hi lesley, looks like we are still waiting for seabourndt to get back - not that i wish his cruise was short - but i wish he'd hurry up and give us all the news!!!! by the way, just how many smoking areas are on the funchal?...... that way i will know when to be holding my breath!!!!!! hope you are keeping well. lea (first cruise)

Hi Lea, Well I just looked back through the old posts and Seabourndt is due back around the 15th May, so by the time England catches up with us we won't see anything from him until Monday at least. We have a very busy weekend coming up, so Monday will come round fast enough.

As for the smoking areas, I think all the bars were smoking on one side and non-smoking on the other, but the Porto Bar was the one I remember being a bit smoky.

I rang our travel agent yesterday to ask if the Funchal brochures are out yet. She said we will have them in 2-3 weeks. Will your travel agent give you one?

Bye now. Lesley

Hi Lesley, travel agent has given us a travel brochure, but of course, we still want to learn more. Today is the 13th of May so the 15th of May can't come around quick enough!!!

Hope I can breathe in the smokey areas!

Thanks for your email address, mine is hondowsh@hotmail.com

Would like to get in touch, maybe meet in Geelong for coffee and get to know you.

Thanks, Lesley, look forward to hearing from you and Seabourndt.

P.S. Aren't I clever, I have learnt how to use Capital letters!!!

Hi guys,

Like some of you who have been corresponding above, I, too, am booked on the Funchal from Athens to Fremantle via everywhere wonderful in November. :D ! So I was so pleased to stumble across this conversation.

I am a 63 year old solo female traveller, and wonder whether anyone who has been on this ship before can comment on how friendly it will be. Not that I'm a raver or anything, but have been on a couple of cruises on other lines, where it was very difficult to meet anyone to say "Gudday" to, because the atmosphere on board was just not friendly, or the vessel was to big for people to meet up, or because ..... well, I'm sure you get the idea. I chose this cruise, not only because it seemed to represent extremely good value for money, but also because I thought its size might be conducive to friendliness amongst fellow travellers.

Any comments would be very welcome. And nice to meet you all.

Anne

Hi Mitasol, just like you I stumbled onto this thread, and through it I have "met" 2 wonderful people - and now a third!. Matilda and Seabourndt have been a wealth of information, so if you have any questions, just pose them and I'm sure they will answer. Our voyage leaves Freemantle next February and travels all the way around Australia, we are so looking forward to it. I'm sure that if other people on board are as helpful as Matilda and Seabournt, you won't have any worries meeting fantastic people. Nice to hear from you. First Cruise (Lea).

Hi, thanks so much for the kind reply. I really hope you enjoy your cruise around Oz. I live in Darwin, and perhaps she will be calling in here, as many cruise ships do, lately. If so, let me know, and I'll perhaps be able to assist during your stopover. I can't wait till November, for my departure. What an itinerary!

Kind regards,

Anne

Hi Mitasol, yes we will be calling in Darwin on our trip next Feb, so we will definately be in touch around then!! Wow, I wish our trip was in November, Feb 2006 just seems so far away. What sort of itinerary do you have?? We will be stopping in just about everywhere next year - Freemantle, Broome, Dili, Darwin, Thursday Island, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Hobart, Adelaide and a couple of other places as well!! Shayne has always wanted to go around Australia and I have always wanted to go on a cruise - so this trip works out absolutely perfectly. When you have completed your trip you will have to let us know exactly what the Funchal is like, I hope you have an absolutely wonderful time. Look forward to "chatting" again soon. First Cruise (Lea).

And it is very exciting to find someone who is on the same cruise as us. We can't wait to get on board Funchal again. We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on her in Jan/Feb to Bali and back. I guess you have read about our time on board, and our impressions. Our cruise was only half full - about 190 passengers with a very good crew/passenger ratio, but we found everyone very friendly. I just checked with my husband, Des (we are in our 60s) and we would say the way we made friends was to sit with different people for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea. Also, to join in with the activities (for us, the quizzes mainly) was a way to meet and talk to people). Anyway, I would say it is a very friendly ship, probably because of its small size. Hey, you have made two friends already!

What is your cabin number? Ours is 72.

By the way, we had a marvellous time in Darwin just before our cruise in January. We went there on the Ghan (very special) and had four nights, then flew to Fremantle for the cruise. We loved feeding the fish at Doctor's Gully, the sunset cruise round the harbour, Litchfield Park and Kakadu. The funny thing was that we brought our heavy duty raincoats for the wet season and only saw a sprinkle of rain, while back home in Melbourne it was pelting down. And that is nearly all the rain we have had this year in Melbourne.

We will talk again. Lesley

Ok, so now I'm jealous that you two are on the same cruise.................... Ok, I'll get over it!!!!!!! Lesley, when you get back from your amazing trip I hope you tell me all about it, and don't forget to check out cabin 56. One thing I forgot to ask is that have you ever been on the train from Perth to Melbourne?? We are thinking of coming home that way and your input would be great. Good to hear from you, Lea.

Hi gang,

Thanks so much for the interesting and informative posts. You guys certainly do have a great little dialogue going. Don't know my cabin number yet - have only recently booked. I will be sharing a cabin with some other ladies, as paying single supplements turns me right off. I have done several other cruises before, but more usually I solo backpack here and there. Either that, or I choof off around Oz in my motorhome. (Heading for Perth in time for the spring and the wildflowers, with a bit of luck, and will leave it there while I fly out to pick up the cruise). Great hearing from everyone. Looking forward to meeting.

Anne

Great to hear from you both. Yes, Lea, of course we will report back when we arrive home from the cruise. And, yes, we came home from the last cruise by train on the Indian Pacific, and loved every minute, and would thoroughly recommend it. The time went quickly and we found it all fascinating. I read books a bit, but Des mainly stared out the window and kept track of whereabouts we were etc. We have driven from Melbourne to Perth and Des found this much more enjoyable than having to concentrate on the driving. One thing I would recommend though is two sleeping tablets (no mucking around with just one) each night so that you sleep OK. It isn't like the ship where the gentle rocking puts you to sleep.

Anne, the motorhome sounds a great way to get around. Have you booked your flight to Athens yet? We leave at 5.30pm on the 11th November on Thai Air which gets us in to Athens at 6.15am 12th. We will have two nights in a hotel before boarding the Funchal. That should give us a bit of time to look around, as we haven't been to Athens before.

Lesley

PS Haven't heard much from Seabourndt. Must be getting ready to go on the Arcadia!

Just Read Those Posts, Sounds Great. Yes Just Over A Week Till The Arcadia. Glad I Sorted Out The Problem With Paying By Cash On Board, They Said No Cash Only Credit Cards Whichn Worried Me As I Don't Have Any. They Then Said They Would Take Cash. Booked All 3 Excursions

1. In Rotterdam =on A Boat Trip.

2. Zeebrugge To Bruges On Anothe Boat Trip.

3. Guernsey A Day Trip To Sark Another Island.

There Are A Few Going So Hope To =meet Upwith A Few. The French Dancers On The Funchal Were Certainly Eye Popping!!!!!!

Waiting To See If I Get The Ship Visit On The Arion Before Booking On Her. She Is Smaller Than The Funchal From The Samew Operating Company. Hope You Enjoy Athens When You Come There. Was Thetre Many Years Ago, Just On A Holiday.

Dave

welcome back to the elusive seabourndt, first chance I've had to say Gudday to you. Really looking forward to hearing if you have any more comments about the Funchal. Are you a serial cruiser or something? Just back from Funchal and you're off again? Some people have all the luck.

Hi again to the ladies too. No I haven't booked my airfare over to Europe yet. I'm messing around on the net trying to decide between options - eg. arrive just a little time before she leaves and just "do Greece", or go a fair bit earlier and engage in a full on European exploration while I'm at it. Decisions, decisions. Anyhow, it's been nice talking to you all again.

Anne

Hello Special Friends from Funchal, just checking in and reading messages, another day down and another day closer to departure on 13th February, 2006, for us. I really wish I was going on the Athens trip with you, wouldn't that be great?? Seabourndt, do you do anything other than travel??? Wow, you seem to be going everywhere!!! Matilda and Mitasol, you are going to have a wonderful time in Greece. I have Australian born Greek friends who have been to their ancestral homes and everytime they have just loved it. And you will be sailing on a beautiful ship!!! WOW!! Seabourndt, did your eyes really "pop"????? Talk to you all soon, Lea.

YES I WORK IN SECURITY, BUT HAQVE 4 WEEKS PAID HOLIDAY A YEAR. THESE ARE MAINLY SHORT 3 DAY CRUISES THIS YEAR. USUALLY GET SOME SHIP VISITS BUT THIS YEAR THEY ARE REALLY THIN ON THE GROUND. I WANT TO GET OVE TO NEW ZEALLAND SOMETIME POSSIBLY 2006 ALWAYS WANTED TO GO THEEE, MAINLY FOR LORD OF THEV RING SIGHTS. DONE AUSTRalia a few TIMES. SYDNEY,MELBOURNE,CAIRNS,BRISBANE,DARWIN. I WAS IN DARWIN AT THE START OF THE RAINY SEASON AND IT POURED WITH RAIN ON OUR EXCURSION TO THE FEEDING ALLIGATORS TRIP, LUCKY IT WAS SHELTERED. JUST GOING THRU MY VIDEOS OF MY 2 TRIPS THERES ABOUT 18HRS WORTH I'M GONNA BORE SOMEONE!! QUITE LIKED THE FUNCHAL, THE SHIP WAS FRIENDLY, JUST THE FACT THAT THE CABIN I HAD WAS VERY SMALL AND BASIC. NO TV OR SOFA. MY FAVE SMALL SHIP WAS THE SUN BAY. A GERMAN SHIP I TOOKTO THE BALTIC. NOW BOUGHT UP =BY CELEBRITY IN THE GALAPAGOS. LOVELT CABIN WITH TV,MINI BAR AND SMALL SOFA.

And have a great time on the Arcadia. Will be very interested in your report when you get back. The tours you have booked sound good. Must go - it is way past my bedtime. We have a song out here called "My love is on the Internet again", and Des sings it to me sometimes when he thinks I have been surfing the net for too long!

hi thanks for your wishes for my cruise. yes the excusions sound quite good. it would have been nice if the rotterdam ship have been there but theres bben a delay. not even sure wjhere our ship docks. theres a lovely maritime museum there. been to gurnsey before so thought i'd try sark where i've not been before. they only have horse and carrts there.

all the best

dave

Hello Everyone, Seabourndt hope you have a fantastic time on the Arcadia, wish I was there with you. Matilda, what's the tune to "my love is on the internet again" and what are the words???? Sounds great. I'm still so new to all this stuff that everyday is a new learning experience!!!! Mitasol, where are you, are you talking????? I check these posts every day. And Everyone, there is a cruise on the Dawn Princess anti-clockwise from Sydney to Sydney in November 2006. Sounds wonderful, but it a lot bigger than the Funchal and also much more expensive. It's a bit out of our league, but you might be interested! Talk to you soon, Lea.

I agree. The Dawn Princess is too big, too expensive. We prefer smaller ships and cheaper cruises, which means more money for more cheaper cruises. Mitasol, are you there? Wondering where you have backpacked to, and have you done any big trips in your motorhome? Would love to hear about your travels. We have a very small caravan which has been round Australia (with us) and more. Love it!

First Cruise, the internet song doesn't have a well known tune. You have to listen to AM774 on Sunday mornings 5.30am to 10am "Australia All Over" with Ian McNamara to hear it. Come to think of it, he hasn't played it for a while now.

Talk again soon. Matilda

Hi guys,

Yes I'm still here. Sorry I was a bit slow about getting back to you all. I will be hanging on in there on this conversation until sailing time, when circumstances permit.

You asked about my motorhome trips. I have had her across to the east coast and as far down as Tasmania several times. Always solo trips so far. I was planning to do the "left hand side" of the round the block trip in the next few months before flying to Athens for the cruise. This would have taken me down the coast from Broome, to Perth, in time for the spring wildflowers. Then I would leave her in Perth, while I fly out to do the trip, pick her up again when I return, and go across the Nullabor to the eastern states again, perhaps returning to Tassie in summer. I am unsure about all this at the moment. I am still trying to work out options. It's such a long trip, and the cost of fuel in Oz is very high at the moment. Also, I think I am maybe being a bit greedy, trying to pack too much into a single journey. The alternative is to simply leave from Darwin on another of my backpacking excursions in the near future, and head towards Europe via whatever highways and byways I happen to find myself in, arriving in Athens in time to join the ship. Still trying to work it out, although the latter prospect looks most likely on such a cold dry season morning.

If you think all of this makes me slightly crazy, you're probably absolutely correct. This is the third overseas trip I have planned in the last couple of months - the others, a round the world jaunt, and a trip to India fell over because of the unreliability of other people. However, if they had not, I would not have discovered the Funchal cruise. Ah, the joys of being a solo traveller ..... More later, folks.

Anne

You do get around, Anne. And both your options for filling in time before the cruise from Athens sound fascinating. My sister-in-law did Melburne/Townsville/Alice Springs/Melbourne by herself in a camper van several years ago, but then she sold her camper van. I think she felt a bit lonely by herself.

Well, before you buzz off overseas, or to Perth, let us know your cabin number or your surname so that we can find you on the Funchal, won't you?

We are Lesley and Des Boseley, cabin 72.

Will talk again. Lesley

Archived