The good old days

tgjr

Anyone remember the good old days...Sovreign of the seas, 1991 captain Egil Eriksen, and Captain Kjell Karlsen.

Whatabout the service lever....where is it.

Sovreign was the world largest cruise vessel, the biggest one eaven bigger than the SS Norway.

This was the good old days :)

• 1 month later...

Yes, I remember them. We were on the Sovereign in August 1990. I still have the compasses from the sailing, we had Captain Karlsen and Captain Thorolvsen. We were a group of 8 couples and whenever we get together, we always talk about what a great time we had. We have been on 15 RCCL cruises since but that one is still my favorite.

I remember sailing with my Mom, on the Holland America - Maasdam.

There was tourist class, and first class.

Also we had to pay for a deck chair.

Meals were limited to 3 a day, with a snack in the morning, and tea in the afternoon.

I think we have come a long, long way, don't you:confused:

Our 1st cruise was on Sovereign--we were so awed and impressed! Real silverware at the table, multiple glass settings, molded butter pats, exquisite desserts (too pretty to eat, almost!) 5 courses at dinner with many, many choices....

I have to say, that was a great cruise, despite crappy weather the whole time!

Was on Soverign of the Seas in 1995. The cabin was so tiny and my hubby had to put his clothes on the floor in the closet. It was a 7 day cruise and since it was our first cruise we over packed. Anyhow - we loved it and enjoyed every minute. It convinced us that cruising was for us - its now 22 cruises later.

Things that have changed:

No more never empty fruit basket in the cabin.

No more Passenger list of all onboard.

No more deck of cards in each cabin.

No more corkscrew in each cabin.

No more dedicated wine steward.

No more large lobster.

Fewer towel animals.

No more waiters singing every night.

No more America the beautiful, Italian, French, Asian, Caribbean and what ever else nights.

No more free sodas with Dinner.

Etc, Etc, Etc.

But:

Back then with an inside cabin and airfare, I paid about the same as I do now for a balcony, airfare, insurance and a day early at the Hilton.

My DH and my first cruise was in '83 on the Song of Norway! I have often longed for the good 'ole days where every one knew everyone! The service was impecable (SP?). the food was out of this world. However, no balconies!

I miss alot of the amenities, but I do enjoy the beauty of the large ships. I guess times do chance....

In all these years, we have been loyal to royal (when it was our choice) but just made diamond. Busy raising kids and trying to make money for retirement. I hope we can cruise more often when that happens.

Anyone remember the good old days...Sovreign of the seas, 1991 captain Egil Eriksen, and Captain Kjell Karlsen. :)

Yes, yes, yes I remember Captain Karlsen. He was the captain on Song of Norway in 1986 when DH and I took our honeymoon cruise. It was our very first cruise and we were completely floored when we were invited to dine with the Captain. As I recall he was quite the dashing gentleman!

Lucky you to get to eat dinner with him. I do remember he was extremely good looking. The ladies and I got our picture taken with him. We also had him as a Captain on the Sun Viking in August 1986.

Never went on the Sovreign or the Song of Norway. My first cruise was in '92 on Regency's Regent Spirit (Regency's out of business...couldve been because that 450-pax ship only had 250 of us on it that week...oy!).

I remember cruising the SS Norway (sigh) in '94, cruise number 2 (what a difference from the tiny Regent Spirit!). I remember the wine sommalier, the newspapers, the chocolate buffet, the grand buffet, the free soda in the dining room...

I also remember that 7-night cruise including r/t air NYC-FL was $750 TOTAL.

Our first cruise was on Sovereign OTS in 1994. We were awed by the entire experience--elegant dinner service, dedicated sommelier, shows in the main show room even in the afternoons, much more daily activities, passenger lists, and skeet shooting off the back of the ship! I remember thinking that it was like 7 days in heaven, and I was HOOKED big time! I also remember paying a lot more for the cruise fare and airfare. Yes, the times they are a changin':o But, I still love cruising, and will adapt to whatever changes I have to in order to feed the addiction and love the being on the high seas. There is still no other vacation that thrills me like a cruise.

Karen

I have cruised on the first Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth, Orsova, Gruzia, Orantes, Parthia, and many many more...back in the day when there was no air conditioning, only blowers, no stabilizers, and big edges that you could put up on tables, with a cut out hole for your liquid glass, back in the days when it was service, service, service, and the ports were really ports of call, not created for passengers by the cruise line. I loved it then and I love it now...but there certainly have been a lot of changes.

Yes, yes, yes I remember Captain Karlsen. He was the captain on Song of Norway in 1986 when DH and I took our honeymoon cruise. It was our very first cruise and we were completely floored when we were invited to dine with the Captain. As I recall he was quite the dashing gentleman!

Hello...Ah, the good ole days! We were on the Song of Norway in 1989 with Captain Karlsen (and he was handsome!!), then again in 1992 on the Monarch OTS, having Dinner with him both times. Sad thing though, we met a Hotel Director from the past on the Empress several years ago, who looked familiar--he was on both ships-- and when I asked him what happenned to Captain Karlsen, made a sad face and said the Captain had a drinking problem and was let go. That was so long ago, I hope it it's okay that I write this. So sad.

We also had dinner with Captain Nyseter (the elder) on the 3rd sailing of the Sovereign, and we corresponded for several years until he became too busy with the Voyager Class.

Yes, indeed, those were the days!

Helen

I remember my first cruise on the Song of Norway and it was and still is the best cruise that I have been on bar none, and I still have a keepsake from it ( sorry rccl didn't find it until we got home). I also just have to say that with all that's going on with the changes to the crown and anchor that rccl has really hit a sour spot with me it seems they find it not hard at all to change the rules as they seem fit but as of now I find it hard to believe anything they say anymore:(

1819501720_rcclkey.jpg.eae03b2af63266b8b914253f2f45da6b.jpg

That's a shame about Captain Karlsen. I did ask a head waiter years ago what ever happened to him and he just replied abruptly he retired so I kind of thought maybe there was something behind that and also that it was a little odd since he looked very young to retire.

Archived