Cheapest way to cruise RCCL with 3 kids???

RN7997

I am looking at planning a group cruise with some friends for May 2010. I have 2 kids but the other 2 families traveling have 3 kids each. I know dates for RCCL are not up yet, but I am wondering what others with 3 kids have done to make traveling affordable?? The website only allows you to put in 2 children and 2 adults.

Oh ya and does anyone know when RCCL offers the cheaper 3rd and 4th passenger fares???? I am seeing about 499.00 now but have heard others mention deals at 299.00 or even 99.00.

Thanks

RCCL has several options for cabins sleeping 5. These are cabins with the word "family" in them eg Family Oceanview, Family Interior, Royal Family Suite etc. The 3rd, 4th and 5th passengers will pay the lower rate. As you've noted, you can't do it online, you'll have to call to get rates for these cabins. RCCL generally doesn't allow smaller groups to book these cabins. The Freedom Class ships (Freedom, Liberty and Independence) have the most variety of family staterooms.

Not sure what the age of the kids are in your group but we just got off EOS on Friday - we had family oceanview cabin 8200 which was plenty big enough for us - we have DS aged 8 & twin DD's aged 5. We had a double bed (queen size I think) which was partioned off with a curtain, the other side of the living area was a bedroom with 2 bunk beds & a proper door & the living room had a pull out sofa bed. There was a tv in our room & a tv in the main area so all 3 of our kids slept all 12 nites on the sofa bed and we never actually used the other room - only for clothes and luggage.

The only thing I would say it that at times it got a bit tight as there was only 1 bathroom - particularly on the last day when we had force 10 winds and 20+ feet waves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:( Also the cabin was at the very front of the ship overlooking the helipad & you could feel absolutely everything from there even on the days when the sea was moderate i'm not sure if this was due to the fact that we were sailing with damage to the ship from the previous cruise but it has put me off ever having a cabin at the forward again - this was our 1st cruise and I never thought you would feel a ship as large as that move so much!:eek:

Do a search for permutations of "family of 5" or "travelling with 3 kids" or variations thereof--there have been a couple of threads with good info here recently but unfortunately they are scattered all around the board.

I also have three kids and yeah, it's really frustrating trying to do research online. My best info says that the "family" cabins on RCCL can be good deals if the pp rate for #3,4,5 is very low, and if you'd rather have everyone together (i.e., with younger kids). For teens, and/or if you value a second bathroom, booking two insides is cheaper. You can also do, say, a balcony and the inside across the hall, but for just getting everyone aboard for the lowest cost, two insides is it.

If the youngest child is a baby/toddler in a crib, then you can fit 5 in a cabin which normally sleeps 4 (example: D1 balcony sleeping 4, plus one baby in a crib). This would be crowded, but possible, especially if there is a tight budget. You'll have to contact RCL to book this configuration. :)

You've received some great advice already. Just wanted to add that those "$99 rates" haven't been around in over a year. When they come back, we will post about it here at the family board. But the last time it was for Sept/Oct sailings, not May. So I wouldn't expect those to come back.

We are a family of 4 sailing in 2 connecting promenade cabins on our upcoming cruise. At the time I booked, the rates for the 1st and 2nd passengers in a promenade cabin were less expensive than the rates for 3rd and 4th passengers in the larger OV and Balcony cabins. I would recommend pricing it both ways to see which is a better value.

I also think that a family of five should get adjoining cabins. Even if they are insides. This gives you two tvs, two bathrooms and more storage space. It is easy to find insides right now for $500-$600 per person. So a family of five will pay about $ 2500 to have two insides. A family of four about $ 2000 for two insides. The trick is getting connecting cabins and these should be booked early.

I was always a "balcony snob" until I did my first inside last year. I like them. They are dark in the AM and the kids don't wake you up at the crack of dawn. Its great.

and my kids are not tiny little ones. The first cruise they were 2, 6, and 11. This time they were 5, 9, and 14. It is not bad cruising in 1 cabin if you stay organized and put things in their place. My 14 YO (and those with teens will understand how much this means) even said that it was not bad with all of us in 1 cabin; i expected it to be horrible and it was really fine. :) By the way, all 3 of mine are GIRLS! :)

I know you said RCCL and I have no experience with them and kiddos.

We are a family of 5 and going on Carnival Dream in December which has family rooms that fit 5 persons with 1.5 bathrooms. It cost us less than getting 2 rooms.

Archived