children in dining room

m8140

our son is 8 years old. He has been on 4 cruises with us. Usually at dinner he wears nice plaid shorts except on formal nights and he wears a suit. Do you think the plaid shorts is ok at dinner on Solstice since he is only 8.

This topic is sure to get a broad range of replies.. Including some folks who dont think children will belong in the DR.. So strap in!!

I have not been on the Solstice. So let me establish that. But compared to other cruises we have been on, X tends to adhere more closely to the dress codes. (vs RCCL)

While aboard Summit, I always ensure that my children are in the same attire as adults. (including tux on formal night- regardless of age. I am a stickler.) Even my 2 YO will be in a tux on formal nights if we make it to the DR. (Longer cruises, fewer children aboard.. so I really want to respect the atmosphere.)

IMHO, I think that Khakis with a collared shirt would be the most casual that would be appropriate.

But depending on the time of the cruise (is it a school vacation?) and length (7 day vs 10+ night) and the places you are going.. you may find the dress code to be more relaxed.

My daughters (9 and 7) wore knee length skirts on casual nights in the Solstice MDR. I personally wouldn't let my kids wear shorts, however, you know your child best and if you think he'll behave better in dress shorts then fellow pax might appreciate that more than pants. Also, first night of cruise everyone is unpacking so that might be OK too.

We cruised last year on HAL with my sister and BIL and their 8-year-old twins. One night my sister was going to let her son wear dressy shorts to dinner with a nice shirt. But after giving it some thought, she reconsidered and had him wear pants. I think 8 -year-olds are getting a "little long in the tooth" so to speak to get away with shorts in the MDR. Having said that, I don't think anybody would care if your son did wear shorts. It's totally up to you.

I just got off Solstice last week with my 12 year old son and 7 and 11 year old nieces. On Celebrity, your son needs to wear pants to dinner. It's just that kind of a cruiseline. On casual nights, my son wore khakis and a polo. He had a dark suit for formal nights.

This is what we did: he wore pants to dinner and then changed into shorts before going to the kid's club. We only brought two pairs of pants since he only wore them for a couple hours each night. The rest of the time he was in shorts. It really wasn't a big deal.

I just got off Solstice last week with my 12 year old son and 7 and 11 year old nieces. On Celebrity, your son needs to wear pants to dinner. It's just that kind of a cruiseline. On casual nights, my son wore khakis and a polo. He had a dark suit for formal nights.

This is what we did: he wore pants to dinner and then changed into shorts before going to the kid's club. We only brought two pairs of pants since he only wore them for a couple hours each night. The rest of the time he was in shorts. It really wasn't a big deal.

I think this is good advice....

What we have done with our sons since they were 7 and 12 (they are older now 11 and 16 and will wear tuxes for the first time for formal night!). Our plan for other nights is still the same. I bring one tan and one black and have the tan laundered mid trip.

Archived