Advice on Cruise Care Insurance

ndfaninal

I really hope I don't need to use this advice, but just in case...

DH found out last week that he will have to have surgery on Wednesday to remove a kidney due to cancer. This came out of the blue - and we are quite nervous. The doctors think, at this point, that everything will be fine and that he will be able to travel on March 16th for our long planned cruise on the Grandeur. But, there is a possibility that he won't be able to go. We won't really know until the end of next week.

We have NEVER bought cruise insurance before, but for some reason I did buy it this time. We booked online from the RCI website, so we have their standard CruiseCare insurance. If, heaven forbid, we have to cancel - what do I do to get things started so that we don't lose our money on this. It would be the cruise cost and airfare that I need to recover. I wouldn't care if it was just put into an account that we could use later - or if it was refunded.

Does anyone have any experience on how this process works that they can share? I'm so freaked out by the surgery that I can't figure out which way to go right now.

Thanks in advance for your help.

So sorry to hear about your husband and I hope he does well and recovers 100%.

First thing to do is be calm and help your husband.

There is information about CruiseCare on the RCI website under vacation protection. I am sure you will recieve all your air and cruise costs if you do have to cancel. I would not call until I knew for sure you were not going to go. It might make them confused and they may cancel when you might be able to go. Best wishes to you.

Let us hope that we don't have to use it but it is a great confort that we have financial protection in these unforseen events.

I was booked on a Ren Mediterrian cruise a few years back and had a heart attack two weeks before. I recovered about 90% of my $.

More importantly - shoud you require some of the other other covered features, i.e. on board medical, overseas medical, or other feature, you may save many thousands of $.

Spend the money for insurance and hope it was a BAD BET on your part.

We received a credit from the airline to use within 1 year of when the tickets were bought. There was a fee to get the new tickets but the insurance paid this fee when we submitted a letter from the airline that there would be a fee. Everything else was covered by Cruise Care insurance except of course for the price of the insurance. There are forms to fill out, my dh did this while I was recovering. We did have to submit things twice because we were supposed to do a b2b and they only sent a check for the first half.

Archived