Hair braiding - what kinds of beads?

OnTheBrink

Does anyone know what type beads are used when braiding a little girls hair?

On our last cruise, the lady who did Emma's didn't have enough of any one color, so Emma had to get a mix, which isn't what she really wanted. So I'm thinking that I could buy a little bag of beads at the craft store and use those. Would that work?

One family on our Navigator cruise had their little girls' hair braided in Cozumel and the mom brought tiny flower and star shaped beads for their hair and it looked absolutely beautiful. Each girl had two braids done and with those little beads it was so pretty.

They use the pony beads. Some are plain and some have shapes. A word of caution: Be very careful where you have her hair braded. We were advised NOT to have our daughters hair braided while in Nausau as there had been several people recieve a free "gift" afterwards (lice). We were told the safest place to have the braiding done was either on the ship or on the private island. If not there we could look into one of the main hotel chains onland as that would be safest.

While it was fun to have our daughters hair braded it did quite a bit of damage to her hair. It broke off in several places around her face. It was cute, but I would not do it again as her hair is too fine.

Archived