River Cruise thoughts

wallygator

Having never been on a river cruise I understand that it is different than an ocean cruise. I understand that the shows, unlimited food, spas, bingos, pictures being taking almost constantly and so on are not on board. What I do expect is a new and very different vacation. A small ship that brings us daily to the heart of a city with new sights, new faces and new life experiences. I expect breathtaking scenery and photo opportunities. Wonderful food, busy times yet very relaxing times chatting with fellow passengers as we sail along. Did I forget anything?? I am thinking of doing a Grand European Cruise on the Viking Sprit. Any comments or advice on any ports, ship and so on is greatly appreciated.

I think you are along the right track. I have no knowledge of Viking but I will say that food is very subjective. Some people might find it wonderful and others only so-so. The great thing about the river cruises is that lots of times you will still be in port during the evening hours and can also sample the local restaurants if you don't like what is being offered on the river ships. Go into it with a great attitude and open mind and you will most likely end up loving it!

We took Vantage river cruise, Castles on the Rhine, from Budapest to Amsterdam and cannot wait to take another one! It was delightful on so many levels: usually being within walking distance of the cities and towns, and if not there was shuttle service available. Being free to tour or not; to shop or not; to go ashore or not. Very laid back. You will enjoy beautiful scenary and many many photo ops. You will sail at a leisurely pace without worrying about rough seas and be able to meet and talk with anyone. I can only speak for Vantage and they had open seating at all meals. Some people made up tables of four and ate together at every meal, others (most I would say) ate with different people at every meal. Food is very personal. I thought it was more than adequate, not the best I'd ever had, but certainly no where near the worst. Breakfast and Lunch were buffet and dinner was sit down service. If you're looking for relaxation, you're going to love it! We saw a few Viking ships and they had pools on them. Vantage did not. Depending on your interests, that could be a deal breaker.

I think you are along the right track. I have no knowledge of Viking but I will say that food is very subjective. Some people might find it wonderful and others only so-so. The great thing about the river cruises is that lots of times you will still be in port during the evening hours and can also sample the local restaurants if you don't like what is being offered on the river ships. Go into it with a great attitude and open mind and you will most likely end up loving it!

We took one river cruise across Europe and loved it. It is a different amosphee from the mammoth cruise ships. With 150 or so passengers (and often fewer), you get to know everyone - crew and passengers.

We took Vantage river cruise, Castles on the Rhine, from Budapest to Amsterdam and cannot wait to take another one! It was delightful on so many levels: usually being within walking distance of the cities and towns, and if not there was shuttle service available. Being free to tour or not; to shop or not; to go ashore or not. Very laid back. You will enjoy beautiful scenary and many many photo ops. You will sail at a leisurely pace without worrying about rough seas and be able to meet and talk with anyone. I can only speak for Vantage and they had open seating at all meals. Some people made up tables of four and ate together at every meal, others (most I would say) ate with different people at every meal. Food is very personal. I thought it was more than adequate, not the best I'd ever had, but certainly no where near the worst. Breakfast and Lunch were buffet and dinner was sit down service. If you're looking for relaxation, you're going to love it! We saw a few Viking ships and they had pools on them. Vantage did not. Depending on your interests, that could be a deal breaker.

Thank you all. We certainly are looking forward to a new change in cruises. I'm sure I'll love the experience. I love meeting people of all persusions and ages. Looking forward to this.:)

One thing that came as a surprise to us when we first took a river cruise was the small amount of scenic cruising we actually saw. Because the port distances are close, you'll often find your ship docked until 9pm or later, and at the next dock before 7am the following day.

Your river cruise ship is essentially a floating hotel that docks in prime locations steps from the city centers of some amazing cities. Everyday you find yourself at an exciting or interesting new destination.

If you like to see the countryside from the boat during the day, you'll really enjoy the half day or day most itineraries set aside for scenic cruising.

Since you don't have long distances to cover to get from port to port, and the ride is so smooth on the rivers or canals, you don't get the same feeling of taking a journey by ship as you do on an ocean cruise.

Joe

One thing that came as a surprise to us when we first took a river cruise was the small amount of scenic cruising we actually saw. Because the port distances are close, you'll often find your ship docked until 9pm or later, and at the next dock before 7am the following day.

Your river cruise ship is essentially a floating hotel that docks in prime locations steps from the city centers of some amazing cities. Everyday you find yourself at an exciting or interesting new destination.

If you like to see the countryside from the boat during the day, you'll really enjoy the half day or day most itineraries set aside for scenic cruising.

Since you don't have long distances to cover to get from port to port, and the ride is so smooth on the rivers or canals, you don't get the same feeling of taking a journey by ship as you do on an ocean cruise.

Joe

Smiles:):p

Smiles:):p

Hi - We leave in 62 days for our second River Cruise. You are right on the mark. I have warned my friends, who have decided to join us, that this is verrrrry different than a huge 3,000+ passenger cruise ship. One thing you left out, though - and it may or may not be part of your cruise. When we did our Russian river cruise, we had a professor from Moscow University lecturing us on all aspects of Russian life - from history to woman's rights to vodka and blinis. It was so fascinating that every lecture was filled. The exerience of visiting all the small towns between St. Petersburg and Moscow was amazing. You are in for a wonderful treat...and we count down the days until we get to Cairo.

Ronnie - Central New Jersey,

home of high taxes and corrupt politicians :D

We are doing the same grand Euro tour with Viking this June. We are on Viking's new ship, "the Legend". We start in Budapest and end at Amsterdam. We are vets of ocean cruises and this will be all new to us as well. Will post from the legend!

Dean:)

Archived