Grand Princess Jan 30 - Feb.13 review

zellers

We (hubby & I) had a wonderful time on the Grand. Since this was our first cruise with Princess, and after reading some of the posts on C.C. we had an idea of what the Grand would be like.

Yes, it is an older ship with a few nic's here and there. They had some workers doing painting, varnishing, and replacing some worn mats along side the pool and golf area while we were there. They also were replacing the t.v.'s with the new flat screen ones which we got to enjoy just a little bit, as we were too busy doing other things outside of our cabin.

The food was gourmet both in the restaurants and buffet. We had a hard time choosing which to go to. We did not do any of the specialty restaurants, but we heard from quite a few people who did the steak house, and they all said it was the best beef that they have ever had. We had the anytime dining which suited us perfectly, and we really didn't have a long waiting time to get in - about 10 minutes twice throughout the cruise. The rest of the time we were able to be seated right away.

The sevice was top notch both in the restaurants and buffet. Smiles were plentiful and we found the staff very eager to please. If you couldn't make up your mind which dessert, or dinner to have the staff would bring you both! We had a couple at our table one night order more than two dinners just so they could have a taste of each one. Talk about waste, but that is another story.

Our room steward made sure everything was stocked up (shampoo, soaps, ice) twice a day. We never had to ask for anything. One thing, I want to mention - check the cords of the hair dryers before using them. Mine blew up on me while I was drying my hair, and sparks were flying. I was lucky that I didn't get burned, or electrocuted. It turned out the cord had been repared at one time. Once I reported the mishap, the hairdryer was replaced within the hour, and a bouquet of flowers were sent with an apology.

Unfortunately, I have to give a thumbs down on their mattress, pillows, and bedding. Not at all comfortable. We had a difficult time getting to sleep and staying asleep with the lumpy hard bed. Linens (sheets) also make a difference. Princess, I am sorry, but Carnival wins hands down on this.

Entertainment was top notch! We enjoyed it all. From the singers, the dancers, comedians, magic show, and the lists goes on. The Grand really does have some very talented staff (servers to officer) that put a show together, for us. It was great!

I have to comment along with another post who wrote about people falling. I too witnessed four people falling in and around the pool area. Some had to be taken off the ship as a result of broken bones. It is very slippery, and I hope the Grand will replace the flooring with a non skid type once it goes into dry dock. Be forewarned - wear your runners. I too did a few dances around the pool area, but I was one of the lucky ones who landed back on my feet!

That just about raps it up, for me.

To The Grand Princess - Thank You, for giving us a wonderful time, great memories, and a safe vacation!

Heather & Gerry

Thanks for the review Zellers. Another positive experience makes us even more anxious for our turn in March. Do you know if once your on board, it is possible to get menus ahead of time? We are looking to book balcony dining etc, but don't want to do it on a day when they have something we really like in the dining room. Just wondering.:confused:

Hi, My husband and I really enjoyed our cruise on the Grand Princess 1/30-2/13/09. The weather was not as hot as other Caribbean cruises, but that was all right with us. Service and dining selections were excellent. We always do traditional second seating and we had a wonderful time with our tablemates.

Regarding the question about menus above, I believe that is a perk afforded to suite passengers only. We had ours delivered early every morning and it was very nice to read what was being served, etc.

This was our second time on the Grand Princess. It was a terrific experience. We would like to cruise on the new Ruby Princess sometime if the itinerary suits us.

Happy cruising to all.

Julie and Doug

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Thanks for the review Zellers. Another positive experience makes us even more anxious for our turn in March. Do you know if once your on board, it is possible to get menus ahead of time? We are looking to book balcony dining etc, but don't want to do it on a day when they have something we really like in the dining room. Just wondering.:confused:

The menus are posted on the restaurants boards, plus in the buffet they have the menus set up on a table early in the morning, for you to look through. It really was difficult to pick and choose what to eat because it was ALL delicious! Especially the deserts! - WOW! You need the expandable waist clothing!

LOL! Yes, it was a very "shocking" experience with that hairdryer :D:D

zellers:

Entertainment was top notch! We enjoyed it all. From the singers, the dancers, comedians, magic show, and the lists goes on.

Glad you enjoyed the cruise and the production shows. Always nice to hear a positive review as our daughter is one of the singers.

I think you might be asking if you can see the menus for the entire cruise so you can choose the night for the balcony dining, correct?

The only way I know of doing this is to look around the internet to see if someone has posted them for the entire cruise after they returned home. I know of no way to get the entire list of menus for the full cruise ahead of time.

I agree, even in our suite, each morning the dinner menu for that night only was delivered to our mail box, but it was just one menu at a time.

I actually brought them home with me, but realized afterward that I forgot to mark the day on each menu. So, I have them, but they are all jumbled up and out of order now. Sorry!

Thank you for the review. Congratulations on your lucky escape from the Homicidal Hair Dryer. I don't suppose the replacement worked any better than the old ones, did it (one can dream. . . )? It was nice they sent you flowers, but after cheating death by Conair, frankly I'd have preferred a big bottle of Scotch.

Unfortunately, I have to give a thumbs down on their mattress, pillows, and bedding. Not at all comfortable. We had a difficult time getting to sleep and staying asleep with the lumpy hard bed. Linens (sheets) also make a difference. Princess, I am sorry, but Carnival wins hands down on this.

Thanks for your review.

I think you are absolutely right about the bedding. It's a shame as most everything else on Princess is really nice IMHO.

Thank you for the review. Congratulations on your lucky escape from the Homicidal Hair Dryer. I don't suppose the replacement worked any better than the old ones, did it (one can dream. . . )? It was nice they sent you flowers, but after cheating death by Conair, frankly I'd have preferred a big bottle of Scotch.

The old Conair worked better, but then again I might of not had any hair to worry about! :D :eek:

Same with the bottle of Scotch, but the flowers did "brighten" the room up :D

Archived