Could someone help a newbie out...with the Embarkation process?

1kycat

[font=Arial][size=3][u][b]Embarkation[/b][/u][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]Some probably don’t worry about things like this…but I apparently suffer from some dis-order, in that I must plan every detail and know exactly what is going to happen. Any answers to these questions would be great…[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]Since the ships can leave and return to different sites (slips?) on the dock…I assume that there are signs pointing the way when you arrive?[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]We will be arriving by taxi…will porters be waiting for us when we get out? Do the porters work for NCL or the port? Where will they take the bags? How far do they take them? Do the bags come back to you at some point? When do you part with your bags for good?[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]Are there different lines for different categories/decks? Or is it just Lat/ non-lat members? What exactly happens at the counter? Are you assigned a embark time? Do they call you when it is time? Any other details I’m missing? [/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]Perhaps someone knows of a trip report that covers some/all of these questions?[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]I have obviously asked A LOT of questions…and probably annoyed a few people…but I thank you for any help you can give.[/size][/font]

Hi,

You will tell the taxi driver what ship you are sailing on and he/she will drop you off in the correct area. There are porters all over the place who will take your bags for you. Make sure you have the provided identification stickers or tags on your bags when you arrive at the pier. You will tip the porters and that is the last time you will see your bags until they arrive at your room, so make sure you have kept your carryon with you with the essentials of what you will need. The porters do not work for the cruiseline.

At that point you will go get into the check in line. There are signs all over the place instructing you where to go. From what I remember, there are 3 different lines, one for latitudes, one for suite passengers and then general boarding. There are employees who are assigned to work the line. They will remind everyone to have their paperwork completed before getting to the counter. Once you make it to the counter, the person will process your embarkation. They will take your credit card information and check your documents (passport or birth certificate and drivers license). From there, you will either be sent to pick up your room cards and will then either board the ship or be sent to a waiting area.

I hope this helps!
Kim

[quote name='1kycat']I have obviously asked A LOT of questions…and probably annoyed a few people…but I thank you for any help you can give.[/size][/font][/QUOTE]
we were all newbies at one time or another and thank goodness we have this great sounding board so we are prepared when we go.(just like I was prepared for the dreadful arrival traffic at the pier in NYC and didn't stress out!)
Everyone is happy to help!

Kim has it right on with the boarding process. And there are plenty of NCL employees to help direct you to the right line for check in. Miami taxi drivers are well versed to which ship is leaving from a given dock as well.

To further guide you - Once you have a reservation number from your TA you can go to the NCL website, NCL.com, and follow instructions for preregistration for your cruise. We always print out a copy of our online registration form to take with us as an added safety measure for our own assurance.

You will keep your carryon luggage with you until you get to your cabin. All carryons are scanned before you enter the ship and must be able to fit the ships' scanners which are a bit smaller than airline scanners but not a whole lot. In other words - don't plan on carrying a large suitcase on as your carry on.

Remember to pack all medications, toiletries, cameras and film (both exposed and unexposed) in carry on luggage. Also any clothes you think you will need for the afternoon or early evening should be in your carry on as checked luggage does not always arrive at your cabin prior to the dinner hour.

Once you step on board the ship there will be additional employees by the dozen to help you find your cabin and answer your questions. They are there to be questioned and don't hesitate to ask away.
Dianne

Sounds like kimmariecarr covered it pretty well. Another suggestion is to print out an extra copy (or 2) of your online registration and have that with you. When we got to the pier, they were having problems with their computer system and were having folks manually fill out a new sheet. I was able to just hand them our printouts, show the credit card, and we were on the way.

Be sure you have several ones for tips for the stevedores (aka luggage handlers), as I have been caught before with only large bills and it is a little awkward asking for change....

Also, cant stress enough, be sure and carry on anything you will need for the day. ID's, medications, swimsuit, etc. as it could be late in the evening before your luggage arrives to your stateroom.

How much [u]worry[/u] or [u]stress[/u] can their be at that point? Just rememer you are leaving for a cruise, so leave those behind!

[quote name='shoreguy']Sorry mini suite are not considered Suites[/QUOTE] Ah...it must have been the suite part of the mini suite that was confusing. :D Just kidding. Really? When I cruised on the Star in an AF Mini Suite I used the suite check in line and wasn't turned away. [QUOTE]but I apparently suffer from some dis-order, in that I must plan every detail and know exactly what is going to happen.[/QUOTE] 1kycat...I understand this disorder. I'm the same way when planning travel. The important thing to remember is that when you start your vacation, realize that you've done everything you can and if things don't go exactly as planned, it's not because of your lack of planning. Things just happen. As a fellow planner, I know it'll be hard but have a fruity drink and know that you did everything you could. ;)

Also: after checking in, you will often have to go through one or two more lines to embark the vessel. There is often a customs/immigration check as we had in Seattle last June. Even though the cruise line employees checked our documents, the government officials at the port wanted to do so also. Following that second line, we entered the line for the security check of all baggage and passangers (x-ray machines, etc). It can be kind of like Disneyland, where you wait and wait in line and are so excited when you finally reach what you think is the front, only to see rows of switchbacks around the corner:) .

(We also had a separate line to pick up our key cards on one sailing, but not the other 3).

Especially if you get there early, there may be waits.

In my experience, they do things a little bit differently at different ports, and even for different ships at the same port, so to get the EXACT scoop, you'll want to ask someone on a sailing similar to yours. Then once you get all the info, it might be a bit different on your day;) . I think you're on the right track trying to get the embarkation info down. It makes it a lot easier to go with the flow if you have a good idea of how things should be flowing!! Takes some of the panic and uncertainty out so that you can enjoy even the mundane parts of the experience (checking in!!).

I have not experienced this in a Florida port yet, but out of Seattle last summer, we had to wait in line outside to check our bags, instead of just leaving them with a porter. The NCL people taking the suitcases had to see our ID and cruise tickets to make sure that they were only loading the luggage/boxes of bonafide passengers and not just anyone dropping a bag with a porter.

When we boarded on our last NCL cruise, they handed out numbers to those of us who checked in before the vessel had cleared for boarding. When the doors opened, they called people by the group numbers. I assume that later in the day, there was just a continuous stream of people from the check in lines through security and on to the ship.

I am wondering, what is your embarkation port and ship?
Good luck!

Archived