Need help choosing camcorder for our trip

SeaGypsies

I really need some advice. The last camcorder I owned was a full-sized VCR type with a battery that went dead if you didn't use it a lot.

Needless to say, we haven't traveled or taken many videos in quite some time. But we are going on a wonderful Northern European 12 day cruise in August and I would love to take videos on this trip to pick up the sounds of the bagpipes and Irish dancers, etc. etc.

Need advice on whats out there in camcorders these days and what some of you like about yours.

Nowadays there are several formats to choose from in video.

From flip cameras, usb or memory stick cameras, DVD cameras and DV cams either in HD or SD tape based cameras.

They can run from a little over $100 to close to $1000 for a really good model.

Sweet spot is $300-500.

I would look at Canon, Sony, Panasonic and Sanyo cameras for a start.

It is a good idea to see and hold them as they vary in design so much.

This is the one I bought for my trip to the Med. it has 16g of memory and is only about 4 inches long you can also put in a SD card. It takes about 14 hours of video.

Samsung 34x Optical Zoom Digital Camcorder w/16GB Memory &Dock

I really need some advice. The last camcorder I owned was a full-sized VCR type with a battery that went dead if you didn't use it a lot.

Needless to say, we haven't traveled or taken many videos in quite some time. But we are going on a wonderful Northern European 12 day cruise in August and I would love to take videos on this trip to pick up the sounds of the bagpipes and Irish dancers, etc. etc.

Need advice on whats out there in camcorders these days and what some of you like about yours.

You might want to consider the new breed of digital camera's that also do Video. You'll have everything in one compact package ;)

DSLR: Nikon D90 and Canon 5DMKII

Almost all Compact camera's now offer ability to record 640x480 between 20-30 FPS. With memory so cheap they make sense if you are only going to record 2-5' snap shots for a couple hours total on your trip.

Samsung and Sony has just annouced new HD capable compact P&S cameras. Other manufactures are likely to annouce similar models in a few short weeks at PMA. Looks like I'm going to be getting a new toy :D

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0902/09021709samsungIT100.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0902/09021710sonyh20w230w290t90t900.asp#press

Thank you everyone for the info. I've done a little further searching and I'm leaning toward the camcorder with a hard disk built in so I don't have to worry about running out of recordable space. Also considering the combo camera that will take another type of storage. I have 5 months to decide but know I will need one.

Thank you everyone for the info. I've done a little further searching and I'm leaning toward the camcorder with a hard disk built in so I don't have to worry about running out of recordable space. Also considering the combo camera that will take another type of storage. I have 5 months to decide but know I will need one.

That's not a bad idea at all. Now may be a good time to buy as prices could go up in time for vacation season?

We purchased a Sony mini-disk camcorder last year and had to keep a sharp eye on how much recording time was left, per disk.

I like the small size of the mini-disk machine, but images can be shakey (especially in full zoom) even with the steady-cam feature. My older and bigger Sony hi-8 machine was much more stable. I've learned to use a rail or a hand-to-elbow support system to add stability to shots with the mini-disk.

Also, the built in mic on my Sony mini-disk is just not effective outdoors. It will capture ambient sounds instead of the voices of the person or people in the shot.

Have fun shopping! Best to give your new toy a thorough test run before the cruise. ;)

Archived