How was embarkation Grand 11/13?

39august

I'm interested in how smoothly, (or not) embarkation went on Nov. 13. Apparently both embarkation and debarkation were a mess the previous week on the Grand's maiden voyage out of Galveston. I received my docs for the Dec. 11 sailing yesterday. I noticed boarding is listed at 1 PM and a suggestion that to avoid long lines wait until after 2 PM. We will be driving down the day before and leaving our car at the motel and taxiing to pier. Should we go ahead to the pier at motel check out time, usually noon? We usually figure we'd just as soon wait in line at the pier as sit around in a motel lobby. What do you Grand cruisers think?

We were on the 11-08 cruise. Embarkation went smoothly for us. I think better than Holland America in Vancouver. The only other cruise we have been on. I would suggest that you check in your luggage and then take a walk along Stand Ave for a couple of hours. If Princess is not getting the people from the previous cruise off the ship any faster, then it makes for a VERY congested area with people trying to embark and disembark at the same time. I didn't think that disembarkation was really bad until after we got our luggage and cleared Customs. Then everyone is funneled outside to try and leave the outdoor area. This is were passengers tend to loose their cool.

Because of the time required to loop to the terminal and back, there is not really continuous shuttle activity. You'll have to sign up for a time slot, and depending on when you arrive at the hotel you may not have much choice. Of course, this is based on my experience just from the Commodore and the Sand Piper. At Commodore, several people showed up 15 minutes late for their time so I got one of those seats. The reason I know they were 15 minutes late is because we hadn't left yet.

I wouldn't sign up too early (before noon), but keep in mind that the shuttle will probably be running late after the first run. If you sign up for one of the last shuttles and there is a problem with embarkation (causing a problem with traffic), the shuttle could be way behind by the time you get there. Within limits, I agree you'd be better waiting at the terminal. However, if its really late you can probably walk somewhere to get lunch if you're still at the hotel. ;)

BTW, it was the 13th that was hosed up because Grand got back late and/or had problems with customs. I haven't heard anything about yesterday, but I'm sure they'll have it straightened out before our cruises.

Mike

We stayed at the Hilton and were the second group to go out on a shuttle. Our time was 11:40 and I am glad that we went that early. The line to get through security was longer than the lines to get checked in! We were onboard by 1:30...not bad.

Disembarking took sometime but not real painful...it seems like there is more room on the Grand to relax and wait. We sat (laid) on the floor on deck 5...deck 6 was where we left the ship. I did learn my lesson not to go to breakfast at 6:30 am :eek: :eek: ! We could have probably slept another hour/hour and a half. They went by decks with Aloha first, Baja second, etc. Flights with transfers went out before the decks and groups were thrown in. I think we went through 3 or 4 glasses of Diet Coke from the bar. There was also piano music while we waited. Our room steward never seemed irritated that we took our time to clear out of our room...he kept telling us to take our time. Really made me feel comfortable. I don't think I have ever been on a ship where we didn't have waiting time and there were room stewards who made me feel I needed to be out of our room immediately. I never felt rushed by the Princess staff.

They went by decks with Aloha first, Baja second, etc.

Does Lido go with Aloha? Because if they work there way down I'll have a long wait for them to get back to the top.

Good question...I don't know that answer. I just knew how my friends were called and they were on Aloha and Baja. I hope someone else can answer this question. Sorry:confused:

Don't know how they do the colored tags, but we were on Dolphin deck with brown tags, our daughter on same deck with orange tags.

Nancy

Well...okay, I stand corrected. Sorry for the misinformation. Thanks for the input Nancy. I guess I was assuming since my friends on Aloha had Gold, friends on Baja had Orange and I was on Caribe and had Orange. Should not assume...:o

Archived