Canyoning Extreme Adventures

stillaliveBksfld_CA

Can anyone tell me if there was a weight or size limit for this? My husband and I are both active and do lots of hiking, etc., here at home, but we are a bit overweight. I'd hate to not be able to fit into their wetsuits or canyoning gear.

Thanks!

Send them an email and ask. They are very nice people and will answer all your questions. I don't see a problem.

To my recollection, no weight or size limit. At the beginning they explain how much weight each carabiner is good for and it is ALOT. I think the ropes are good for a few thousand pounds.

I will say that you need to be to be able to walk a good ways up a hill to get back to the car. Nothing too crazy though, but I would say that knee or ankle problems might be the only thing to stop you. But even if you are out of shape or elderly they will take good care of you and get you back safe.

• 3 weeks later...

I really want to do this excursion but I'm not sure if my fellow travelers will. Does anyone know what their cancellation policy is? I haven't come acrossed it on their website. I did send them an email but no response yet...and I'm overseas so calling is a bit of an issue. Just courious if I have to back out.:rolleyes:

I really want to do this excursion but I'm not sure if my fellow travelers will. Does anyone know what their cancellation policy is? I haven't come acrossed it on their website. I did send them an email but no response yet...and I'm overseas so calling is a bit of an issue. Just courious if I have to back out.:rolleyes:

If you have to split your group, go by yourself. You'll be glad you did.

I don't know? I gave them our credit card to hold a spot, but they didn't charge it until we actually showed up for the tour. They can only take 10 people, so I'm sure they don't have much room for drop-outs because the group is so small to begin with. But you will have to ask them.

Keep trying with the email. I talked to them 3 different times asking all my questions, and there were a few days when I wouldn't hear from them and then I'd send again and they'd answer back. I'm not sure if the email is spotty or they just got busy. (I'm so glad I stuck with it, and sent a few extra emails, the trip was so worth it! I got my answers but had to ask a few times.) First class operation, first class people, just a little spotty with the emails sometimes, but I had a million questions... and eventually got all my answers.

RubyPrincess2010136small.jpg

5RubyPrincess096.jpg

I sent them an email this morning and within 2 hours they answered me back. I sent another with some more questions and they answered back shortly after that.

Markstudy I love your pictures. I can't wait to do this!

Markstudy I love your pictures. I can't wait to do this!

Thanks :D I'm still just posting a few teasers... So many great shots, but its more fun if you see the other 98% of the trip for yourself, so I don't want to post too much ;)

Thanks :D I'm still just posting a few teasers... So many great shots, but its more fun if you see the other 98% of the trip for yourself, so I don't want to post too much ;)

I totally agree, that it is impossible to see all the beauty in the pictures! This is really tehe best what you can get on the island - nice service, good atmosphere and the most important best memories ever!

I have my tour with them set up but they said to find out what pier we will be at. We will be on Royal Caribbean. Will we be at the Roseau pier?

I never figured out the ports.

We were on the Princess and we pulled into the main pier and met our guide at the historic hotel by the pier (from there, they take you in a van up to the CoCo Cottages resort, about 15 minutes up into the mountains)

My guess is that you should check one of those web sites that tells how many ships are in port on your day. Since we were the only ship, we pulled into the main pier. It sounded like they use an industrial pier on the rare days that too many ships are in town at the same time.

Here's a photo from the ship. See the building with the

white Palm Trees and blue background art in the a-frame roof?

We walked over there and then walked along the pier to look at

that nice 30 foot fishing boat (see what they caught). Anyway we then realized

that these new shops on the water had been built in front of the old historic resort

where we were to meet our guide. So we walked up through the buildings in a maze of stairs

(we took the stairs between the buildings) an finally found someone to show us where

the front desk was.

My point. It would have been easier if we walked up hill by way of the road instead of

sticking to the pretty waterfront. 10 minutes walk from ship to lobby.

Did he give you the name of the resort where your group meets... I can't remember the name?

The historic lobby (once we finally found it) was so pretty. My only regret is

I didn't take some photos inside while we waited for our group and guide to

show up.

RubyPrincess20101043.jpg

This is what they told us:

One of our guides will wait for you at the entrance to the Fort young hotel (close to the front desk) by the cannons. Is that where you met them?

Yes same thing... they told us.

The sign on that new building by the water (white palm trees, blue background painted on a-frame) says Fort Young Hotel so we went along the water-front but must have missed the easy way in (maybe got distracted by the fishing boat at the end of the boardwalk):p

The Fort Young Hotel is up on the hill behind all those new buildings. It would have been easier to walk up the "S" curve of the road to the front of the Fort Young Hotel (which does not face the water)... it faces that building with the yellow roof and pink walls and big green windows (is that a church?)

He meets you there because the water front will be jammed with 200 taxi and buses. But the road on the back of that block allows his driver to pull away without getting in the huge line of traffic.

I guess they figure if you can't find the front desk, you shouldn't be on the jungle tour :D We got lost but just for a minute:p

Here's a better photo.... (we got lost thinking we'd be looking at the water)

Front of the Fort Young lobby faces the right side of this Church.

Looks like there is a green tarp over the lobby entrance to the Fort Young.

dominica-vista-desde.jpg

I see in the pictures that you are wearing wetsuits... are these included

They provide them. I was impressed with their equipment and sizes... top-line stuff.

Just show up with some good shoes you can wear in the water an a towel. (they even have shoes if you need them) :D

Water was cold, but with the wet suites it was perfect. We didn't get cold at all, I was suprised how comfortable we were for the entire trip.

They provide them. I was impressed with their equipment and sizes... top-line stuff.

Just show up with some good shoes you can wear in the water an a towel. (they even have shoes if you need them) :D

Water was cold, but with the wet suites it was perfect. We didn't get cold at all, I was suprised how comfortable we were for the entire trip.

Thank you so much for this information! We both have wonderful shoes, but were worried about the wetsuits! I cannot wait for this tour!

Any chance you had time or your guides would take you to Mr. Nice's fruit stand after the canyoning on the way back to the ship?

Thank you so much for this information! We both have wonderful shoes, but were worried about the wetsuits! I cannot wait for this tour!Any chance you had time or your guides would take you to Mr. Nice's fruit stand after the canyoning on the way back to the ship?

You will probably have 2 guides (Richard and Jeffery). They were so nice to us....

I'm sure you could ask. But our trip was so interesting, we couldn't believe how

fast the time went by. We used up the entire day. If the fruit stand isn't directly

on the way back to the ship I wouldn't think you'd have enough time. (our ship

was in port 9-6 and I'm guessing we got back at 4 or so...don't remember now?).

They were very good at checking what time we wanted to be back at the ship and

making sure to time it just right for us, so we didn't have to worry.

After our tour, we sat in a beautiful open-air kitchen and had a neat little lunch

prepared for us by a Dominica woman who works for Richard and Jeff. It was a

neat little lunch (just sandwiches but nice fresh island ingredients) and I had

Bread Fruit for the first time.

(its not just the trip, there are a few little steps along the way)

20 minute drive from the Fort Young Hotel to the CoCo Cottages.

30 minutes to gear-up (actually very comfortable to wear and easy to use)

...and enjoy a look around around at the cottages (neat place)

30 minutes to try the practice wall (for up to 10 people)

20 minute drive to the very top of the mountain

15 minute walk to the start of the trail

After our trip, we spent 30 minutes eating a late lunch.

5RubyPrincess031small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Bumped for bntacruising :)

I'm definitely inspired, thank you markstudy!

Friend of mine went on the trip and said it was a blast but they didn't take any pictures so I had no idea what to expect, your description and pictures are very helpful (I presume the only option is a waterproof camera?).

I'd ask if the price is worth it ($150/person) but I assume the answer is yes.

You mentioned that they included lunch or was this something you purchased? Did you leave your personal belongings (money, etc.) at the cottages area? I usually bring a backpack with me on any excursion.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

I'm definitely inspired, thank you markstudy!

....so I had no idea what to expect, your description and pictures are very helpful

Hi Matt, Thanks! Gald you liked the photos.

Lunch is included in the price. Nothing fancy, local sandwiches but its neat eating vegetables and foods fresh out of jungle cooked by a local woman who is a great character. (Nothing fake or tourtisty about this trip).

The price was worth it. Its like taking a trip to the moon. Its just so different than the other 100 cheesy tours I've been on with the cruise ship. (Its the difference between watching an Indiana Jones Movie vs. BEING IN an Indiana Jones Movie. LOL)

We left most of our personal belongs behind at the inn. Very safe... its out in the middle of no-where and a first class operation. You might be able to wear a backback? all the ropes where in front of us. (but they didn't want you to have anything against your body that might get crushed as you brush against the rock walls). We kept moving and didn't need anything during the actual hike part of the trip... you are just always moving and doing stuff... not rushed but fun. Then you get back to the Inn to rest, drink, and eat.

I kept my water proof camera in the inside sleeve of my wet suit to keep it from getting clunked against the rocks when I was climbing down with both hands.

FUNNY STORY... my wife looked at the little 1 inch by 1 inch photos they showed on their company web site, when we were trying to decide if we should take this trip? She is afraid of heights, and we looked at the tiny photos on their web site and said "that doesn't look too high!" LOL

My wife had a ball, even though she is afraid of heights. ;)

Only negative I've heard... is that you can get rained out! But I've gone on scuba trips and got canceled because the waves were too big, so anything you do out-doors always has the risk of foul weather.

Archived