Canyoning Extreme Adventures

stillaliveBksfld_CA

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I read an article about extreme canyoning on Trip Advisor, and was wondering if any of you experienced cruisers have done this in Dominica. This is something DH and I would absolutely LOVE to do. Does anyone know of a tour company that offers this experience, or could it be done through a ship tour? I really would like to find out more information, and unfortunately, the article did not include any contact information.

What is Extreme Canyoning? :confused:

It sounds like one of those dangerous ThrillSeeking things

where you end your cruise with a broken neck

and you get taken back to the ship a paraplegic.

I hope I'm wrong..

What is Extreme Canyoning? :confused:

It sounds like one of those dangerous ThrillSeeking things

where you end your cruise with a broken neck

and you get taken back to the ship a paraplegic.

I hope I'm wrong..

It is repelling down cliff-sides and waterfalls into river filled canyons. Sounds like a whole heck of a lot of fun to me!

Canoyning is lots of fun. I bet there are places they do this in Dominica!!! perfect country for it. However, the only excursions I have been able to find do from acruise were more tame than that. more hard core hiking/swimming up rivers than canyoning. we went both time thru Ken Hinterland's tours. I don't even know if they are still functioning

Canoyning is lots of fun. I bet there are places they do this in Dominica!!! perfect country for it. However, the only excursions I have been able to find do from acruise were more tame than that. more hard core hiking/swimming up rivers than canyoning. we went both time thru Ken Hinterland's tours. I don't even know if they are still functioning

I will see if I can find anything on that tour group. I have been scouring the internet for hours looking for a tour group. Good thing I have a lot of time before the cruise!

• 1 month later...

I know it is too late for advice, probably you already back from cruise :) and maybe did canyoning. I did canyoning with Extreme Dominica and that was the best experience in Caribbean. It is incredible feeling to rapel down the waterfalls in the beautiful canyon! Hope you will manage to do that. The staff is very nice so you do not feel unsafe. Even my husbands motherm which is 55 did that and said that it was her best adventure ever!

I did canyoning with Extreme Dominica and that was the best experience in Caribbean. It is incredible feeling to rapel down the waterfalls in the beautiful canyon! The staff is very nice so you do not feel unsafe. Even my husbands mother which is 55 did that and said that it was her best adventure ever! So that is not true that "like one of those dangerous ThrillSeeking things" :DD None of us broke anything during the trip:) You can write them cocoacottages@cwdom.dm and arrange everything via email. Thay will come to pick you up from a terminal and bring you bach after or you can go with them additional tours if you will have energy ;))

• 2 weeks later...
Our group is booked with Extreme Dominica for this January I will make sure to write up a review! Can.not.wait!

Were you able to get an excursion based around your time on the island, making sure you get back to the cruise ship in time??? Will they pick you up, etc?

• 2 weeks later...
Were you able to get an excursion based around your time on the island, making sure you get back to the cruise ship in time??? Will they pick you up, etc?

I remember they picked us up from the cruise terminal and brought us back on time :) We even had lunch in their beautiful cottages full of lush vegetation ;)

• 1 month later...

We have booked this trip for next week and I'll be able to give you all a review. We have done some pretty neat things through the years, including a 4 hour trek on a glacier last year, so I'll have something to compare it to. At the time we booked a day or two ago we were the only people that had booked.

We have booked this trip for next week and I'll be able to give you all a review. We have done some pretty neat things through the years, including a 4 hour trek on a glacier last year, so I'll have something to compare it to. At the time we booked a day or two ago we were the only people that had booked.

Thanks, have a good time :)

Can't wait to read your trip report ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well out canyoning was rained out, the waters were too high in the canyon to do the canyoning portion of the trip.

However Jeffrey was fantastic and took us on a wonderful tour of the island. This included a 1 hour hike to and a 1 hour hike from Middleham Falls, which was amazing. Then he took us all around the island, sampling the various fruits and foods of the area. Stopping to explain any and everything to us. We were even able to have a wonderful conversation about their economy, political climate and their outlook.

We had a wonderful time and felt like we truly got to get a taste of what makes Dominica so special.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! This was the highlight of the trip! Amazing!

I'm a scuba diver (its my first love)...and although Bonaire and St John were great! This was even more amazing! Wow! :D That's all I can say!

You don't have to be into rock climbing or hard-core anything. My wife was a complete beginner. You just have to really want to see the most amazing beauty on the planet! And be in good enough shape to walk-up a steep hill at the end of the trip, back to the van and parking lot.

I posted our tamest photos... as teasers. I don't want to give away any surprises... you just have to see it for yourself.

RubyPrincess2010138sm.jpg

RubyPrincess2010151small.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, none of ours came out from our trip at the beginning of December.

If anyone is considering this excursion......just email Richard and Iris right now and tell them you are coming.

It was amazing. Like some other people that have posted, I have been pretty lucky to have done some pretty cool things. Canyoning truly is a unique experience.

And you truly dont need any previous experience. I think Richard said he has had people between ages 7-70 without any problem.

Thanks for the pictures, none of ours came out from our trip at the beginning of December.

I had 6 people on our trip without cameras. I am going to send out a email of my top 15 photos to the rest of my group next week, after I finish editing.

My pictures came out great! I spent most of the trip trying not to break my camera. LOL

Send me your email if you'd like to be included :)

mark

Wow, thanks for the info on this excursion. I'm so glad I found this thread--definitely something DH and I will want to do on our cruise in November!!

Can anyone tell me if there was a weight or size limit for this? My husband and I are both active and do lots of hiking, etc., here at home, but we are a bit overweight. I'd hate to not be able to fit into their wetsuits or canyoning gear.

Thanks!

Archived