Book on our Own or with TA?

KarGaro

Hi everyone! We just got off of the Liberty on Saturday and are looking at cruises for next February! This was our first cruise and my whole family absolutely loved everything about it. Anyway, my question is which way is the better way to book or does it really matter at all? My TA isn't giving me any perks to book. She emailed me every time there was a price drop in our room. But I guess my question is did she do anything to make sure I got the price drop or does RCCL automatically take care of it? If I book on our own do I just keep checking on the price of our cabins and make a call if I see a drop online?

Karen

Karen --

We recently cruised, and booked thru an online TA (although did everything via phone). Although our TA was problem free, they did not notify us of any price drops. To my knowledge, RCI wont notify either you direct or your TA. If your TA did this, sounds like that is worth something!

Plenty of people have opinions on this subject; many say to book direct -- seems like mostly because if you have a bad TA (or they are out of office, etc), you can lose out on price drop. If you book thru a TA, you must go thru them to get a price drop.

We used a TA, because living in Australia, we wanted to go thru a US agent. Plus due to the time difference, we could always get the TA on the phone (they answered 24/7), and then didn't have to time ourselves around the RCI office hours.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. We also had a great time!

Hi,

Sounds like you have a very proactive TA although I would still be prone to personally check for price drops regardless. From what I've read on these boards most people have to request the price drop to get it applied. RCCL does not apply the price drops themselves to bookings..... AFAIK even for bookings made directly with them.

You could also check prices before commiting again to this one.... the way the market is going they are all out for you to spend your $$$$ with them; just make sure you can get the price drops as well as have really good communication facilities (eg if you can't reach your personal TA is there someone else who will support you?)

Archived