Great kids on my cruise!

We were just on the Explorer 4/17/04 and the kids were really good. I was the one that would get in the elevator with the kids and hit all the buttons then get out. I did that a few times when they were just sitting on the floor when people were trying to get on. It was fun for me. icon_biggrin.gif I do have to say to the parents of the teens that you need to watch what they are drinking. We stopped at Senor frogs in san juan and watched a bunch of very young teenage girls get very wasted. They were carried back to their ship by other teenage boys who had also been drinking. I did ask the one girl how old she was and she said 16. She was vomiting all over the place. I asked where her parents were she said probably on the ship. She couldn't even look me in the eye she was so drunk.

Some things parents allow kids to do defy logic. icon_frown.gif

thadventure-ZDsc20077.jpg

<MARQUEE>RCL Adventure of the Seas July 4, 2004 </MARQUEE>

Till we leave :

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;7;4;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Carnival Destiny 7/01

Carnival Pride 7/02

det38.gif Stanley Cup 2004!

Win Wings 4 Predators 2 On to round 2

Wings 1 Flames 1

Do you know that the drinking age is 15 in St Thomas? (or that's what we were told)

We stopped at a nice place in St Thomas for lunch. The waiter was about to walk away when (for an unknown reason), I told him my girls are 16 and 17 years old, so please make sure there is no alcohol in their drink.

The waiter (in his most sincere and respectful manner) informed me that they are allowed to serve alcohol to 15 years old with parent's permission. icon_eek.gif

The girls insisted they wanted non-alcoholic drink. icon_cool.gif

March 28, 2004 - Mariner of the Seas

"Great kids on my cruise!" I don't think they sounded too great if they were getting drunk off ship. icon_rolleyes.gif

Are you sailing on the Mariner 7/18/04?...Click here! icon_cool.gif

or HERE! icon_wink.gif

Disney Wonder 3/2000 ~ Disney Magic 9/2000 ~ RCI Vision 2/2001 ~ Carnival Victory 12/2001 ~ Celebrity Millennium 3/2003 ~ RCI Adventure OTS 9/2003 ~ RCI Mariner OTS 7/18/2004 ~ RCI Serenade OTS 9/26/2004

OMG I can't imagine letting my teenagers off the ship without me being at least in the vicinity. How would you know if they got back on OK!!!

I guess kids will never learn, no matter how many horror stories they hear of alcohol poisoning and deaths.

Royal Majesty '89,'90'91

Nordic Empress '95

Galaxy'98

Century '99

Majesty of the Seas '01

Constellation ''03

Mariner of the Seas '04

I didn't think the ship's crew would let the kids off the ship without the parent or guardian.

I can't imagine why a parent would let their kids go off the ship alone.

OP, I push all the buttons on the elevators too!! Then I take the stairs.

Mariner of the Seas 02/08/04

Navigator of the Seas 01-2003

girlzillla

Quote:

---------------------------------------------

OP, I push all the buttons on the elevators too!! Then I take the stairs.

-----------------------------------------------

I am going to have to think to myself now' I guess I should not be mad at those kids playing around in the elevator '(while I wait forever for it to reach my floor) because an ADULT may have pushed all the buttons. icon_mad.gif

Alaska (my BIG 50)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;8;8;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

The ships crew are not babysitters. What do they care if a teen gets off without a parent- for all they know the parent is in front of them or behind them. I dont think I ever would have let my teens roam those ports by themselves. Too many things can happen.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

Okay, not much bugs me...

This really does it though!

We once traveled (Sovereign in January) with my parents and their friends. One of their friends couldn't walk up stairs and occasionally needed an oxygen tank. He also could not stand for long periods of time. If I knew someone was pushing buttons for all the floors out of fun while this man had to stand and wait unnecessarily, I would have given someone a piece of my mind.

Come on people(adults and kids), THINK before you do something so foolish.

Bobbie

Voyager of the Seas in....

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;5;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Adventure of the Seas 2-03

Enchantment of the Seas 3-03

Majesty of the Seas 5-03

Adventure of the Seas 9-03

Sovereign of the Seas 11-03

Sovereign of the Seas 1-04

Grandeur of the Seas 3-04

My albums can be viewed with this link...

http://public.fotki.com/bobbie0253/

Originally posted by girlzillla:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>OP, I push all the buttons on the elevators too!! Then I take the stairs.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't imagine why an adult would find it funny to press all the buttons and then take the stairs. Some peoples kids...sheesh.

Karen

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;6;6;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 to get me on the ADVENTURE OF THE SEA

Roll call AOS 6/06/04 click here

I'm not going to even write what I really want to say. Too long, would fall on deaf ears, and going to a place I don't want to go to. icon_mad.gif Suffice to say, kids are getting a bad rap for actions done by "adults".

Rhapsody

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;6;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Monarch of the Seas

Disney Wonder

I think the first poster was just being sarcastic talking about the elevator button pushing Bobbie0253. I know EXACTLY what she is talking about. Your parent's friend wouldn't have been able to get on the elevator where the kids use it to sit & ride.

Although I think family vacations are great and a cruise is a great way to go that's reasonabally priced.. I think too many parents fail to spend that "family" time with their children and use a cruise as an excuse for their "Own" time.

I would have to say.. my experience during spring break on Carnival showed more of the drunkeness, rude behavior, kids running amuck. etc.. I think because it was a lower-priced cruise so the very young teens and children were extremely abundant. Also.. I saw MANY inside cabins with children no older than 11 sharing a cabin without an adult.

On my recent RCCL cruise, it was more toned down even though there was 600 kids onboard. There were lots of high school teens on board but I can say that on this particular cruise - the majority were well behaved. I purposely chose RCCL hoping the numbers were lower - and I was right and it was enjoyable.

When I took my kids on cruises we spent family time together. It was OK to be with others their age - but after dinner... it was family time as well as any port days. I also taught my kids to be respectful to adults - Something I think there is a lack of these days.

Maureen

Princess Sun 2/27/2005

Mariner of the Seas 10/15/2005

8 cruises to date.

I'm sorry it didn't come across the way I had intended it, but I was trying to be funny!! I really, really didn't push all the buttons. Not on purpose anyway. I did take the stairs a bunch. I was really trying to play along with what the OP had said. icon_redface.gif

My original question was, I thought kids could not leave the ship without the parents, perhaps because of immigration rules. At one of the ports our kids got to the door to leave the ship just a few people ahead of us and they made them wait for us to catch up. I was not intending for the crew to babysit the teens, I thought maybe there was some immigration rules that say they can't go ashore alone.

Again, I'm so sorry for the confusion, I really didn't intend to cause an uproar.

Mariner of the Seas 02/08/04

Navigator of the Seas 01-2003

My response to the button pushing. I did this around 1am. Yes there were still kids and I mean young kids. I remember looking at my watch and wondering if their parents new they were still up.

Now with kids getting off at ports. As long as they had their seapass from RCL they could get off the ship. I shouldn't say kids I should say teens. To me if you are below the age of 18 you are a kid. You go through immagration before you even think of getting of the ship so they don't have to worry about that.

This is for Bobbie: My DH and I were the ones that would always get off the elevator if someone really needed more then we did. Believe me we were on the 10th deck and took the stairs more often then I would have liked. Matter of fact I think I lost weight instead of gaining it I did so much walking up and down. I got tired of seeing the people that would take the elevator down or up 1 floor.

This is just me, but we always get a quad cabin as I wouldn't want my kids in a separate cabin. I was a good kid (teen) but even a good teen can be coaxed to "meet a cute guy" out on deck after mom & dad are sleeping and find herself in trouble. I prefer to be in the same room so I know they are there also. There is just too many opportunities to get into trouble!

Tracey

Until we cruise again. . . . . .

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;6;13;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Premier Oceanic-Bahamas, 2/89

Rhapsody-East. Carib. 12/97

Grand Princess-East. Car. 5/00

Radiance-Hawaii,10/2001

Adventure-South. Car. 7/2002

Brilliance-Panama Canal 12/2003 "Happy New Year!"

Mariner-East. Carib. 6/2004

Originally posted by lisajoy:

This is for Bobbie: Matter of fact I think I lost weight instead of gaining it I did so much walking up and down.

Funny you say that, the cruises where we took the stairs more often, I lost weight too icon_smile.gif On the cruise with my parents we usually opted for the stairs while they rode the elevator.

Seems like the only time I gain weight on a cruise is when our four kids are with us. Someone is always hungry and we end up eating with them icon_frown.gif

icon_smile.gifBobbie

Voyager of the Seas in....

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;5;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Adventure of the Seas 2-03

Enchantment of the Seas 3-03

Majesty of the Seas 5-03

Adventure of the Seas 9-03

Sovereign of the Seas 11-03

Sovereign of the Seas 1-04

Grandeur of the Seas 3-04

My albums can be viewed with this link...

http://public.fotki.com/bobbie0253/

Bobbie;

Too funny. That is exactly what happened on our Hawaii cruise. I would get up first, go eat, then the kids would get hungry and I would go with them, then DH would want something--I ended up gaining 5lbs. icon_rolleyes.gif

Tracey

Until we cruise again. . . . . .

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;6;13;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Premier Oceanic-Bahamas, 2/89

Rhapsody-East. Carib. 12/97

Grand Princess-East. Car. 5/00

Radiance-Hawaii,10/2001

Adventure-South. Car. 7/2002

Brilliance-Panama Canal 12/2003 "Happy New Year!"

Mariner-East. Carib. 6/2004

A few points ...

Drinking ages are loosely enforced throughout the Caribbean (except in Jamaica where they avoid the problem by having no minimum drinking age).

Perhaps the kids got off the ship with their parents, but didn't return with them.

Don't be too quick to judge parents based on the behavior of their teenage children. Kids that age can be good at manipulating, and deceiving, their parents.

I've been on cruises at times when the kids were off school, and the only real problems I've had were with drunken adults.

----------------------------------------------------------

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits" Mark Twain

"Nothing so needs reforming as other people's formal night attire, poolside attire, child rearing practices, walk-talkie usage, chair hogging, seat saving, line cutting ..." Mark_K

It's not really a matter of whether the parents were watching the kids when they were off the ship, it's really more a matter of the values the children have been taught in the home.

I took my first trip to Mexico was for six weeks the summer after my sophmore year in high school. I was only 15. Yes, I was able to drink alcohol and of course I did. But I knew the consequenses, and failed to ever drink enough to get drunk. I enjoyed the opportunity to be an "adult" and make my own decision. But I knew enough to make a decision NOT to get drunk....

Dana

NCL Sea 4/99

NCL Star 11/01

NCL Sun 10/03

RCCL VOS 10/04

Archived