Alaska....need help

roxy83

I am thinking about booking an Alaska cruise for next year. This is my DREAM cruise. However, there are way too many options and I don't know what to choose. What's better (or simply your preference)? Northbound, Southbound, or Glacier Bay? Why? Also, what side of the ship would you want to be on for each of those itinerary's? Oh...and what time of year is the most preferable?

I will likely be cruising Carnival as it's my favorite line.

Thanks!

Venus

So many choices - so little time! A lot will depend on if you want to fly into (or out) of Alaska or do a round trip from Vancouver or Seattle. The most extensive and the one you will see the most of Alaska will be either the northbound or southbound that begins or ends at Whittier or Seward. The drawback of either of those is the flight to or from Anchorage. Very long and tiring - almost like going to Europe. Most ships that depart from Vancouver or Seattle stop at the same ports of call. The difference is that Vancouver ships travel deep inside the Inside Passage and the Seattle ships go around Vancouver Island and not as much scenery the first day. Glacier Bay is gorgeous and probably a better choice than one of the other glacier days because of the ability of the ships to get into the bay and close to the glaciers. Just keep researching this website and listening to others who will give you their opinions, then make your choice. You won't be disappointed no matter what your choice and chances are - you will return on another cruise to Alaska at some later date.

B. Cole

I am thinking about booking an Alaska cruise for next year. This is my DREAM cruise. However, there are way too many options and I don't know what to choose. What's better (or simply your preference)? Northbound, Southbound, or Glacier Bay? Why? Also, what side of the ship would you want to be on for each of those itinerary's? Oh...and what time of year is the most preferable?

I will likely be cruising Carnival as it's my favorite line.

Thanks!

Venus

We have cruised Alaska with Carnival twice now and both were EXCELLENT cruises...The first time was SB ..Whittier to Vancouver in July and the second was r/t out of Vancouver...The SB cruise I felt was better because we got an extra port in Sitka and our port time in Juneau allowed enough time to do a day trip to Tracy Arm via small boat..The R/T was very nice because it included Glacier Bay and more scenic cruiseing that the SB..We really lucked out in Sept as far as weather was concerned...Sept is usually very wet and we had hardly any rain..

I am waiting for pricing to come out for the 2010 Alakan cruises with carnival..I have a pretty big CC group interested in going Sept 2010..If you are interested check out the thread link in my signature..

Kelly

The best thing to do is to read as much as you can and pick 3 or 4 priorities to help narrow your options. You've narrowed your options by focusing on Carnival. I suggest you consider if visiting ports or glaciers are a priority. Do you plan to include a ground tour component either before or after? Are there specific ports that are must sees? What type of activity or excursion would you absolutely enjoy? Do some research and try to answer these questions. I visited my local library and read just about every tour book I could find for background info. Then revisit your original questions and repost. Have fun with your research!

First choice, do you want to see more of the land or the sea?

Second do you want to leave and arrive at the same port or different?

I would lean toward a one way trip and not a round trip cruise.

If Alaska is more important than the cruise then make part of the trip a land tour.

On the ship you will have a varity of things to do between ports. On the land you will have long bus rides, but see more of Alaska.

How many days? If seven, then probably sea. If you can go for about two weeks consider land.

By the way if you are going to do three days at sea and the rest land get the least expensive cabin.

No need for a balacony as you will want to be outside on a deck or in the Crows Nest for sight seeing.

You could also sail to Ancroage ( I think you land about 50?? miles from Ancroage and take a train) and then take the Alaska Rail Road to Dinale and back. Be sure to book the hotel before you go.

Archived