Cost for a 5 year old to get her whole head of hair braided??

Scout and Jeff

I know to settle on a price before getting this done. Firstly, do you pay per braid or just a flat rate? How many braids would they put on a 5 year old if you pay per braid? Obviously, this will vary, I guess my question is how many braids will make it look well done?

Should I wait until we get to Mahajual?

We had DD's hair done at the port facilities in Costa Maya. I wasn't involved with the decision where to do it or the cost. Usually the cost is per braid, but if you want a whole head job done, you should probably bargain for a price for the whole job. It took at least 25 minutes for DD to get her hair done.

10hairbraid3.jpg

She only had the top part braided. Does your 5 y/o have the patience to sit long enough to get her whole head of hair braided? There is pulling and tugging involved too. Perhaps just 3-5 on the side would be good. Some of the hair ladies had books of photos to help give you an idea of that they can do.

Does anyone know how much? I "think" when we were in Jamaica they were asking $5 a braid, I thought that was outrageous.

I agree, $5 a braid does seem excessive, but then again, that was just the starting price for bargaining. I think $2-3 a braid is what I would pay. DD's cost $25 according to DW. You can see what she had done. The lady must have been pretty gentle for DD to put up with the braiding. She is extra sensitive when it comes to her hair. She usually can't stand for anyone to comb it.

I would be very careful about getting hair braided. There is a possibility of head lice. Bringing your own comb won't help either, as the nits (eggs) can easily be under the braiders fingernails. Bring Rid-X or Rid shampoo to be sure.

Archived