Destiny: 1 - 15th February

First of all, I must say we had a fantastic holiday and would go again on the Destiny to the same destinations (for a similar deal) without hesitation. However, in describing our experiences, not everything will be glowing – but I wouldn’t say that other soon-to-travel passengers should be worried about the negatives. The overall impression we have come back with is that it was one of our best holidays ever but that of course is made up of lots of elements ranging from the very acceptable to outstanding. These are my subjective opinions although I will endeavour to be as balanced as possible in my comments.

Flights/Transfers

We flew out of our local airport which was great and the First Choice plane with a 2-3-2 seating plan was very comfortable with good leg room. We didn’t pay for premium seats and had a comfortable outward journey with a main meal soon after departure (choice of bangers and mash or chicken) and a snack an hour or so before arrival. This was a rather stodgy ham Panini and scone and jam but it kept us going until we could have a meal on board the Destiny (which we were quite excited to spot on our approach to the airport).

As others on this forum have described, the transfer from the airport to the ship was incredibly swift and painless. We walked out of the airport by a side entrance without having to claim our cases. They were taken directly to our cabin (we’d been given cabin number stickers to put on our cases at check-in which was very efficient) and after a short bus transfer to the ship we were fairly quickly processed in terms of registering and lodging credit cards details. From stepping off the plane to having a cup of tea on the Destiny probably took no longer than 30/40 minutes. Fantastic!

A warning note that on our return the Departure Information sheet referred to ‘Ship Departure’ times for disembarkation. As we felt this was ambiguous (time to leave the ship and walk to the coach park, taking 5/10 minutes, or coach departure time?) we checked it out to discover it actually signified the coach departure time! For anyone with walking difficulties the time difference could be significant. They may have amended this by now as we did draw it to their attention at Reception (although they weren’t too receptive at the outset as to how this could cause confusion/problems but eventually conceded the point.) It should read ‘Coach Departure Time’.

La Romana airport was not so good. The airport, although new, is quite small with few facilities (two small toilet blocks which meant queues) and a couple of shops and 2/3 cafes. The main problem was the number of people there. The Manchester flight had been delayed so by the time we arrived (the last departure of the day) all the Destiny passengers travelling home were there plus some passengers for other scheduled flights. It was quite congested! There were enough seats for everyone but it felt quite claustrophobic.

There was a real problem too in terms of communication both in terms of lack of information regarding the delay and a very poor quality public address system such that all announcements in English were unintelligible. Any approaches to the airport personnel were met with indifference at best. We were 2 hours late leaving but other than that we had a good flight – although, as to be expected, it was tiring.

The ship

Cabins: as already described by many, they are ‘tired’ and very compact and with little drawer space (and awkward hanging arrangements for long dresses). I much prefer the panelled walls of the Destiny en-suites to the mosaic tiles of the Spirit and Celebration as they look much fresher but yes, the shower is a squeeze. However, we were aware of this before we travelled and as we spend very little time in the cabin it wasn’t a problem to us.

I think some new power points have been installed since our last trip so the outlet is lower down near the dressing table top and therefore more accessible. An American flat 2-pin adaptor with a 4-way extension lead worked well to keep batteries charged and my hair tongs powered simultaneously. The air-con worked well and we were quite comfortable in our cabin.

Safety deposit boxes are now fitted into each cabin but at a charge of £12/week.

As ever, the cabin was kept extremely clean: the steward cleaned the bathroom twice a day and replaced towels which were soiled and had been left on the floor (including pool/beach towels), the beds were turned down at night with chocs on the pillow and towel animals were left sitting on our beds on a number of occasions.

In summary: the cabin could be better and doesn’t compare well with new ships – but it was perfectly adequate and very well serviced by the steward.

Bars: all of the bars were extremely pleasant areas in which to relax having undergone fairly recent re-furbs and the soft furnishings are in good order. Blakes, the Clipper Bar, the Sky Bar, the Oklahoma lounge, the Can Can Show Lounge and Seven Seas dining room are all good.

Public areas: around Reception and on some stair landings, by the lifts, the carpets looked poor. It is in the main relatively new carpet and not worn but it seems to have been very badly fitted so gives a poor impression.

Deck area: there is quite an extensive deck area but this does look a bit ‘worn’ and in need of some attention especially the floor covering around the pool and the decking itself doesn’t look as well maintained (in a cosmetic sense – not safety) as on the other Thomson ships we’ve been on.

Shops: there is limited shopping on board – a duty free shop selling alcohol, cigarettes and perfume, another selling watches and jewellery and chains ‘by the inch’. A general shop provides a limited selection of toiletries, over-the-counter medications, clothing, souvenirs etc. The choice wasn’t fantastic but it’s a useful back-up for emergency supplies. The extensive opportunities for shopping on-shore and the unusual range of items available makes it unlikely you’ll find these shops too exciting though!

Pool deck: the sun beds around here were popular and mainly occupied and many reserved (by the same people all day, every day?) but there appeared to be sufficient room for sun beds on the top deck and steamer chairs along the promenade deck. We were too busy exploring our destinations to make much use of these but on the few occasions we did search for somewhere to sit out, we were able to find a lounger. There was limited space to sit on deck in shade though.

There is a dedicated ‘adults only’ pool although there may have been a problem with this judging by the appeal in the Cruise News for children to use only the children’s pool and for parents to supervise their children. On the first week there were hardly any children on board but there were perhaps 20/30 the second week with an anticipated 140 this week which is half-term. But given the fabulous beaches in the Caribbean I would imagine most people would be swimming in the lovely warm sea (28°C compared with 6°C around our shores!) and wouldn’t be too bothered about the pools which aren’t large.

There are also a couple of bar areas around the deck – the elevated Mast Bar being a pleasant eerie from which to watch any deck parties or daytime activities should you not wish to get involved but are interested enough to observe and soak up the atmosphere.

The raised (covered) walkways down the side of the pool deck provide plenty of tables and seating to take your cream scones (yummie!) or food from either the grill or Lido. One side is designated for smokers but as non-smokers, provided we steered clear of the ‘smokers’ side’ we thankfully weren’t troubled by second-hand smoke. All indoor bars are now non-smoking which is a welcome move. (Previously, although we liked the Oklahoma Lounge, the smoke from the smokers’ area was sufficient to affect the whole space – it’s now very pleasant.)

Other facilities: there was a small gym (unused by me, I must admit, so I’m unable to comment on what was available), a small library and internet facilities (charged at £1/min whilst downloading) and a Kid’s Zone club for children.

Dining

I found the Lido restaurant quite acceptable for drinks, afternoon tea or snacks. You can make your own tea/coffee in the Lido restaurant 24/7 and there’s always something available in here to eat. (I took some sachets of Cappuccino with me which I could make using the hot water dispenser and I did see a few passengers with insulated mugs making a drink to take to their cabin as there are no tea/coffee making facilities in there). The warm Caribbean and balmy evenings are more suited to the open-air nature of the Lido but we much preferred to take all our main meals in the dining room although it was very convenient for early breakfast in the Lido if you were off on a trip which had an 08.30 departure.

In the dining room at breakfast time there is a self-service buffet with waiters assisting (bringing juice, tea/coffee, toast) and on most days a waiter-served breakfast too. If you choose this option there is a breakfast menu which includes omelettes, kippers and other items not available at the self-service buffet. The choice from the buffet of cereals, fruit and cooked breakfast is good and there is also a selection of croissants/pastries – so something for everyone I would think.

Lunch (open seating incidentally, as with breakfast) is a choice from a 5 course menu which amounts to a substantial dinner for anyone working their way through each course. Choice includes traditional British fare plus ‘sandwich of the day’ (don’t be fooled – it’s huge), pasta etc. There is also a grill on the pool deck where there are salads, jacket potatoes, pizzas etc on offer. On a few selected days there is also a ‘pub lunch’ buffet served in Clippers which looked very good (perhaps this was on sea days – not sure) and on the change-over day (Sunday) there is a self-service lunch buffet in the main dining room.

Dinner: again a 5-course meal with a pretty good selection to suit most tastes. The atmosphere in the Seven Seas in the evenings is a real feature of the dining experience. The waiters are so friendly and warm providing excellent service with a smile. The Head Waiters and the Maitre D’ are also very much ‘hands-on’ visiting tables, engaging with passengers, being very aware of what’s going on and generally making their presence felt (in a very positive way). ‘Showtime’ was a regular event at the end of each evening meal when the waiters, head waiters and Maitre D’ joined in the merriment serenading the passengers who all seemed to enter into the spirit of things by clapping, waving arms or napkins around. It sounds very ‘twee’ writing about it – but you get swept up in the jollity and it really does add to the overall impression of a friendly, happy and welcoming ship.

The food was always very acceptable, sometimes good and on occasion, excellent. I had a sense that the food wasn’t quite as good as on our previous trip although it was very difficult to put your finger on what exactly was different. Several other regular Thomson travellers made the same comment to us (unprompted) but having said that, we ate very well and both gained 7 lbs (!) so it must have been pretty good!

Entertainment

Showteam: They are fantastic! We thoroughly enjoyed all the shows especially those with slick choreography to complement the excellent singers. There was great breadth and depth amongst this relatively small troupe and they should be congratulated on their energy and commitment. Keef, the Cruise Director, was perhaps the best we’ve seen in terms of being so personable, unaffected, relaxed and genuine. He could also hold his own as a singer, making a good contribution to some shows and deck parties. Gavin, his assistant was also very talented and has a great voice being able to carry one evening’s show (almost) singlehandedly.

During the fortnight, there were two ‘Welcome’ shows on Sundays (arrival days) which showcased the shows to be performed the following week and one play (Pyjamas for Six) which is not usually my cup of tea, but was extremely well performed and I did enjoy it. Each week there was one evening with a comedian – the first week was the incredibly talented Kev Orkian who was an enormous hit with everyone. (An amazing, inventive and hilarious act – you must see him if you get the chance. His late night show was packed and kept us all up and laughing until 01.30!) Week two was Mick Walker who was ok. One evening was ‘Concerto’ which was rather like a cabaret from members of the showteam and the following week was ‘An Evening with Gavin Murray’ (Assistant Cruise Director) who was extremely good and gave a well-received show. That left 7 ‘production’ shows with staging, choreography, costumes and an all singing/dancing format. These were all excellent. From previous experiences with Thomson though, it appears that they have cut down somewhat on the number of shows of this type. On previous 2-week trips we’ve typically had 5 shows per week, the play being put on in an afternoon and such as Gavin’s concert would usually be given after the show. This is probably a cost-cutting measure but it’s to be hoped that Thomson don’t make any further reductions of this type as it’s one of the areas where they excel.

One afternoon each week there was a swing-a-long type cabaret whilst afternoon tea was served in the Can Can Lounge too.

Emma, from the entertainment team, is a real character and her bubbly personality was quite infectious, having the ability to draw you in and make you smile. We’re not much into the pool-side daytime games or the evening game shows in the Oklahoma Lounge although we did catch bits of these and they seemed to be good fun and enjoyed by many.

I think we had 4 deck parties in the evening but two were rained off and relocated into the Oklahoma Lounge which also hosted some late-night cabarets with members of the show team.

Bill, the pianist, provided a middle-of-the-road repertoire in Blakes and the trio in Clippers we thought were particularly good – mellow and relaxing. The young girl has a voice like honey – a little reminiscent of Karen Carpenter. I could have spent much longer listening to this group but we always seemed to have somewhere else to go! The Top Men Band provided some lively and varied music for discos/deck parties and generated quite a party atmosphere.

There appeared to be something for everyone – and the musicians were all very good. I can’t see how anyone can run down the entertainment especially the standard of the shows with excellent performers (singers/dancers/actors) as well as good staging and sharp, energetic choreography. We consider ourselves fairly discerning and are open to a variety of entertainment from classical concerts, plays, musical theatre, dance and such as Jools Holland concerts. We have a good range of high quality entertainment in my home town which we enjoy (so I think we have something with which to compare) and we think Thomson do an excellent job with their entertainment. It’s one of the areas where they score so well. You don’t hear many people deriding the standard even compared with other more prestigious cruise lines – with good reason!

Weather:

It was lovely and warm all the time – no need for wraps/jumpers except perhaps inside the ship when the air-conditioning was set a bit low e.g for the early show in the Can Can Lounge. This didn’t usually last for long though since as the venue filled up, body heat soon raised the temperature. We had one or two rainy evenings and a number of short sharp showers lasting about 10 minutes in a few places but there was nothing significant until our middle day in La Romana when there was about an hour of drizzle. (We did much better than some people on a stay and cruise though – their first week in the Dom Rep had been awful weather-wise with at last two days of continuous rain and wet on others.) You have to be prepared for a tropical shower anytime though. The first week was a bit more cloudy and there was always a warm, sometimes strong wind which we welcomed as a relief from the heat. Temperatures were typically 30°+. Sea temperatures were wonderful at 25 - 28°C.

Health:

Of course there may have been some examples, but we didn’t hear of anyone with sickness/diarrhoea type illness. You were asked to use the hand gel on returning to the ship and before entering the dining areas.

We followed Bella’s advice carefully re use of Deet and thankfully had no bites although we did see some passengers with what appeared to be some nasty bites on their legs. We didn’t spot any evidence of mosquitoes on our river trip at La Romana and fellow passengers who did the aerial tram ride didn’t notice any problems either (we’d passed on that excursion having concerns about bites).

There were a lot of passengers who were badly sun-burnt though. We had some intermittent cloud especially during the first week and a strong wind (but very warm) which may have tricked some into thinking they weren’t burning. But my goodness they must have been in real pain later. The UV rays even penetrate cloud in that latitude so sunscreen is still necessary to avoid the dangers of sunburn.

Destination services:

We thought this was probably the best team we’ve come across in terms of their presentation skills and helpfulness. Lee and Victor in particular were most friendly and informative in terms of possible DIY options at each destination with a good knowledge of the best beaches and likely taxi fares. They were happy to explore your ideas with you giving good advice – with a smile.

General:

As you will have read, there are some mildly negative points which I have raised – BUT and it’s a very big ‘but’ in the context of our holiday overall these were not big or even significant issues – after all it is a ‘package’ and we weigh up all the elements in the light of what we paid . We approached our cruise in a positive frame of mind and didn’t let the ‘cosmetic’ issues cloud our enjoyment of the ship and holiday as a whole. We ate well, were comfortable, enjoyed the fabulous atmosphere and service on this ship and thought the entertainment was top-notch. The destinations were fantastic and our holiday fabulous – we’d repeat it without a second’s hesitation.

I have some thoughts about Thomson’s 2009/10 prices which chime with points made on another thread – I might join in there too when I’ve had time to rest – there’s a serious danger of RSI in my typing fingers now! But that issue is a whole new debate!

I hope you’ve found my comments useful and for all those still to sail – don’t let a few honest (but slightly critical) comments spoil your anticipation. Enjoy!!! I’m certain you will - I’m just sorry we won’t be there with you! :)

what a great review,i could not dissagree with 1 thing that you wrote.

i think anyone who is about to go on this cruise and has read your review will be put at ease,

we are looking to go again in january 2010 but prices are too high at the moment

Hi Kruzseeka

Had been dying to know how you had got on - have had a very hectic week so have only just been able to enjoy your superb reviews - thanks, they're great. You seem to have exactly the same views of the Destiny as we do.

Looking forward to your comments on Thomson prices this year. We have now booked for 10th Jan next year. As we had the famous voucher, we had to book now. It actually means that we have got the 14 days, with a reserved cabin (as we were lucky enough to get a 2/3 berth this year which is bigger than the 2 berth so have reserved it for next time) for the same as we paid this year but this year we have 'all inclusive' as well. My husband, the one that wears the kilt, says that this means he will be able to have more than one drink!!!!! Lol!!! Reasonably well satisfied with this because, as I have said many times, we actually did enjoy the Celebration 'Cruise to Nowhere' and didn't feel cheated at all. The prices have actually gone up twice since we first looked at it - once before and once since!

Next time, however, our friends are coming with us and they are dithering about whether to book now or leave it until later - it's just such a problem.

Sandie

Bigmantam - thanks :) I hope you will have a fabulous time - do let us know how you got on!

Hi Sandie - good to hear from you and I'm pleased you've made your decision and for what it's worth, I think you've done the right thing. The free AI is a bonus even if you're not big drinkers - virgin cocktails and iced drinks are just the ticket whilst soaking up the lovely Caribbean sunshine! (In addition to the alcoholic ones that is!)

Your voucher means you've got a jolly good deal and now you'll have all the pleasure of anticipating your trip. I must say, given the right price (we haven't got a voucher - boo hoo! :( ) we could well be looking at this one again next year - we had a thoroughly good time. But I think we'll wait to see how things develop although given the recent yo-yo prices who knows whether that's the best course of action?

Just keep an eye on your hubby with the AI though - he might get a bit carried away with the Highland Fling!! :D

Kruzseeka, what an excellent and in my opinion, very accurate review of Destiny. I am in almost total agreement with everything you wrote.

Anyone going on Destiny for the first time really need not worry about some of the highly negative reports from other posters. Yes, there are glitzier ships out there, but Destiny does have it's own genuine friendliness and happy ambience - and you will not be disappointed.

From your reply on the other thread, yes - I am afraid I did buy two of Noreen's glorious and very expensive dresses in Antigua - but as long as I don't gain any weight on all these cruises, then they will last me as "formal dresses" for years! LOL!:)

Well, I am off to scan the Royal Caribbean threads now, in preparation for our Splendour of the Seas cruise in May - I must say there is an awful lot of moaning that goes on over there! Definitely NOT as happy as the Thomson people!:D

Thank you again for your great reviews.

Hi Kruzseeka

Himself had better not get too carried away with the AI. Forgot to mention that, as we arrive home on the Monday morning next January, our daughter is getting married the following Saturday - I think that I must be stark, staring mad! But what the heck, I keep on thinking what a lovely January I have got to look forward to. We have been for our first appointment with the Dress Designer today and she looked at me in absolute horror when I said what our holiday plans are. I am counting on all those cocktails, virgin and otherwise, to put me in a completely relaxed frame of mind. Himself is rather counting on having brown knees for the trip down the aisle!!! For once, it won't be him in the most expensive outfit.

Cheers

Sandie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi kruzseeka as said before I have now printed out your very interesting and informative review and guide of both the ship and the Caribbean Islands visited by the Destiny. I am taking it with me when I go next Sunday, can't wait. For all others going on this cruise I would suggest you read this review, it is in three parts and very well written.

I was just wondering on reading this review of flight and ship you said you would go again if you got the SAME DEAL and as I understand reading from different posts you have written, you did not plan to go on this cruise. Was it a last min deal and if so did you get a bargain or all inclusive thrown in. I was just wondering wether it is better to leave booking to the last min or booking well in advance as we did for this cruise.

I am already thinking about next winters holiday and haven't been on this one yet!!!:rolleyes:

Hi Bigmantam, Thanks for your kind comments - really pleased you've found it useful. :)

No, you're right, this cruise wasn't particularly on our radar - in fact I'd been tracking the relocation from the Canaries in April on Celebration but the price was very significantly more than we'd paid the previous year for the equivalent trip on the Destiny (comparing prices at the same time away from sailing - about 3/4 months!). I then spotted a good price on the Caribbean trip and decided to take the plunge - and we're very pleased we did as we enjoyed the trip so much! It was about a month before departure and I think it got a bit cheaper then got dearer again. It's such a lottery and depends on how many cabins they have left, how many seats on the aircraft etc., etc.

Now, as for when you get the best deal - that's always a gamble. We did get a good price - but no AI. I don't think you can expect to get a good reduction and AI - in my experience, it's one or the other. Part of the calculation regarding AI has to be how much you'd reasonably expect to drink during your holiday. For us, we reckon on about £125/150 each for 14 days as a drinks bill - so any reduction of £200 p.p. or more on the AI price is good for us - but wouldn't be for everyone.

And the real worry is - if you have your heart set on doing a particular trip, have restricted times (work-wise) when you can take your holiday or you want to travel from a specific airport - these things may not be available if you leave it too late.

I would really like to do this trip again - and probably pay more than we did this time! (We were just lucky this year.) And like you, I'm looking ahead to next year but now AI has gone, I don't think we'll be in a hurry to book but now it is on our radar we'll almost certainly book much earlier than we did this year! Anything we really want to do we just go with it when we see a price we think is acceptable to us - the bargains are usually last minute and more of a 'bonus' - as was Destiny this year - but now it's become a 'want-to-do' so we'll probably pay a piece more to do it next year!!! :eek:

Well, I don't know if that's much help - but it's really hard to know what to do for yourself - and as for advising someone else! I'd hate to tell you to wait until the last minute - then they sold out!!!! You'd never speak to me again!!

Anyway, have a fantastic time - this time next week you'll be on your way :D. I'll be thinking of you and looking forward to hearing about your experiences on your return.

Bon Voyage!! ;)

lol we too are looking to book another cruise!

would love to do the Gems part ,that we didn't do this time

we booked 15 months in advance for Coral Islands ( can only go during school hols, and need a 4 berth cabin) and did get the AI upgrade :)

but prices seem a lot higher for next yr ? :( plus theres no AI as far as I can see ?

also having been speaking to other cruisers,OV might be better for us as family

as they have the teen clubs etc aswell ,whereas on the Destiny was only up to age 12 :(

Feel a soft spot for the Destiny though, as it was our first cruise experience :)

Hi Rachie,

I think you will find that Ocean Village and Ocean Village 2 will be moving down to Australia at the end of this year, and from what I can gather, will then be based there permanently.

Have you considered cruising on P&O's Ventura? Yes, I know it is a BIG ship, but it is absolute paradise for kids of all ages - and their parents! The kids clubs are out of this world. They have their own decks with bungee jumping, trapezes, trampoling and masses of toys, video games, giant scalextrics etc etc. Last September, we saw children literally being dragged out crying by their parents, who hadn't seen them all day and wanted to catch up! The kids did not want to leave the clubs as they were having sooooooo much fun!:D

They also cater well for up to 16's. I know P&O has always had the more traditional and expensive label, but Ventura is a very different, contemporary and family friendly ship and there are lots of young families onboard. That's probably why the more "traditional" P&O cruisers are not keen on Ventura - too many children and very modern! LOL! We absolutely loved her though, and will definitely go on her again in the future.

Don't get me wrong - I love Destiny too, but for different reasons. We really enjoyed our Caribbean cruise on her, although personally speaking, I would not do the 6 days Atlantic crossing on her again, because Destiny is a bit small for spending that amount of time aboard her, particularly if the weather is bad for the crossing. Ventura however, is a brand new ship, with fantastic decor and facilities, so it is an entirely different cruising experience. Six sea days on her would fly by, because there is so much to explore and do aboard. P&O will also compare favourably with Thomson on prices now, and there are some great deals to be had at the moment. They do 4 berth cabins, much bigger than Destiny's and free child places etc, if you get in early.

I think Thomson has the edge on entertainment, a fab crew and such a friendly atmosphere, but P&O, in my opinion anyway, has more luxurious ships, better food, and I love sailing from Southampton because you have absolutely no luggage restrictions! I take 4 cases just for me - my shoes can take up 1 case!

Anyway, it is just an alternative for you to consider, and may well work out cheaper for a family, than the Thomson prices for next year. I have to say, I am amazed at how expensive Thomson is geting now, in terms of what you get for your money. P&O, Royal Caribbean etc have such good deals on at the moment and people will be looking to try other cruise lines with bigger ships and better deals. If the Thomson AI option is not available, this would probably affect bookings even more, I should think.

We are trying Royal Caribbean's "Splendour of the Seas" in May. We had a GREAT deal for 9 nights, fly to Venice from Bristol, 2 nights in a 4* hotel in Venice pre-cruise, then 7 nights on Splendour's Greek Island Cruise calling at Split in Croatia, Athens, Corfu, Mykonos, Katakolon and back to Venice and flight home for about £560 ish for a large outside stateroom - OH paid, so I can't remember exactly, but it was about that price!:D

Anyway, wherever you go and with whatever cruise line - have a great time! Cruising is so addictive!:D

Thank you :)

oh no i thought it was end of next yr OV were moving to aus :(

have to admit i've not looked at / thought of P&O

will have a look

thanks for all your info :)

your may cruise sounds fab !!

PS lmao @ a suitcase just for shoes :D

xx

Archived