San Juan at Night with a child?

gracie65

I've researched the San Juan thread & would still like to know if there are anyore options. We will be there Nov. 2 off The Liberty (Carnival) from 5:00pm-midnight.

Our son will be almost 10. trying to figure out something to do that will be fun plus incorperate the culture & history. Since he will miss a week of school we like to make sure he still learns things about the places he visits. I've looked at The Segway.

Seems like it would be fun & have the learning part as you visit the historic sites via your Segway. Has anyone done this in the evening when it's dark? Any other ideas would also be appreciated.

I don't know why the ship's are stopping there at night....Check and see what will be open! I'm sure restaurants will be, but I would imagine many stores and forts may close.

There are 2 forts in San Juan--that might be good, if they're open. Basically, they're "self-guided" .

I don't know why the ship's are stopping there at night....Check and see what will be open! I'm sure restaurants will be, but I would imagine many stores and forts may close.

There are 2 forts in San Juan--that might be good, if they're open. Basically, they're "self-guided" .

The forts close at 6:00 on Mondays. I think we might could make the one closer but don't want to have to rush do do anything.

IMHO, walking around Old San Juan is a lot of fun. The architectural details and historical significance of Old San Juan, including the forts, the governor's mansion, the streets, are all great materials for inspiration.

If I am not mistaken, I think San Juan itself is actually an island.

Although the forts may be closed by the time you arrive, it is still very cool to see how the Spaniards built the whole thing (including walls surrounding the entire San Juan city) to fight off the pirates of the Caribbean in the 18th century.

(all right, I admit...I am a geek.)

OK, food is also good in Old San Juan...besides the usual spots near the port, you can also find restaurants in walking distance that serve tapas, mediterranean, caribbean, or spanish pastry.

Hope it helps. And have fun!

I would definitely NOT recommend the Segway at night. The streets can be dark in SJ and some sidewalks are very uneven and you never know what you could hit. You do not want to ruin your vacation because of an injury that could have been avoided.

I would definitely NOT recommend the Segway at night. The streets can be dark in SJ and some sidewalks are very uneven and you never know what you could hit. You do not want to ruin your vacation because of an injury that could have been avoided.

I agree. Most of the streets in OSJ are very narrow and parked with cars. The sidewalks in Old San Juan are also narrow and uneven, and most of them don't have access ramps for strollers or segways.

I agree. Most of the streets in OSJ are very narrow and parked with cars. The sidewalks in Old San Juan are also narrow and uneven, and most of them don't have access ramps for strollers or segways.

These Segways actually go a route that stays on smooth surfaces. I have however ruled it out because they only have a 45 minute at 9:00pm, too late. I'm now thinking about a carriage ride. With what I've read sounds like children are free. They hit the historic spots etc. as well.

If anyone has done this please let me know how it was.

Check out the Carnival excursion for the Bioluminescence bay. There aren't very many of this in the world, and your son may really enjoy this. I have not done this personally, so I cannot speak for how good it actually is. I will be in SJ in the evening during our stop with the Carnival Triumph at the beginning of April. My husband and I are thinking about taking the kids on a trolley ride. My DH and I have been in SJ for a previous cruise and have walked through Old SJ. It's really pretty; however, its going to be dark. My kids are not old enough for the bay experience, that is why we aren't doing that this trip.

Check out the Carnival excursion for the Bioluminescence bay. There aren't very many of this in the world, and your son may really enjoy this. I have not done this personally, so I cannot speak for how good it actually is. I will be in SJ in the evening during our stop with the Carnival Triumph at the beginning of April. My husband and I are thinking about taking the kids on a trolley ride. My DH and I have been in SJ for a previous cruise and have walked through Old SJ. It's really pretty; however, its going to be dark. My kids are not old enough for the bay experience, that is why we aren't doing that this trip.

Right now our sailing is not showing that it's available. We don't get there till 5:00pm so maybe it's only available for the ships arriving at 3:00. I saw where you can do it on your own but I'm not really in to driving an hour and a half to get to an excursion.

I think we've just decided to get off & do a carriage ride. Kids are free with an adult & the visitors center by the port did have coupons. Here is the info. on it if you want to take a look: http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/osj-horse-carriage/

Right now our sailing is not showing that it's available. We don't get there till 5:00pm so maybe it's only available for the ships arriving at 3:00. I saw where you can do it on your own but I'm not really in to driving an hour and a half to get to an excursion.

I think we've just decided to get off & do a carriage ride. Kids are free with an adult & the visitors center by the port did have coupons. Here is the info. on it if you want to take a look: http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/osj-horse-carriage/

Thanks for the info!! Although we are sailing different ships, I think our itineraries are the same. I've seen a couple of your posts in the St. Maartin forum. We head out on March 29th from Miami and are going to SJ, St. Thomas, and St. Maartin. I can let you know what my 11 yr old thinks when we get back.

Thanks for the info!! Although we are sailing different ships, I think our itineraries are the same. I've seen a couple of your posts in the St. Maartin forum. We head out on March 29th from Miami and are going to SJ, St. Thomas, and St. Maartin. I can let you know what my 11 yr old thinks when we get back.

Sounds good, I hope you have a great time. You'll be on your cruise for my Birthday (April Fool's Day!!!).

Archived