Car seats in Nassau?

pfisted

I checked your past posts and your granddaughter will be 6-7 months old? In Nassau, I don't think you have to have a car seat by their law.....but common sense sort of tells us that if it's unsafe to drive her down the street in your hometown without a car seat, then you shouldn't do it in a foreign country where they have less traffic laws/standards. ;)

Not trying to be cheeky, just honest. :p

If you've seen how they drive in Nassau (whoever gets to the stop light first wins...lol). And their almost reckless disregard for public safety...then I would think that you would want her in a car seat. If she wasn't...any minor fender bender could be devastating for her little body. :(

I wasn't looking for a lecture on child safety and I am well aware of Bahamian drivers. My post simply stated that I wanted to know if anyone knew the law.

So let me get this straight...you are more concerned about a possible $100 fine if you don't use a seat belt but you are not concerned about the safety risk to the baby?

I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt in my first post. But you have seen how they drive in the Bahamas and you are still asking if you can leave the infant seat at home?????

Well let me clarify my first post. There is no car seat law on the books in the Bahamas. There is a little enforced seat belt law that was created back in 2002.

But unfortunately, the law of physics does exist in the Bahamas.

Good luck to you. I am hoping the baby's parents have more sense.

Calm down! Most of us in our 50's survived childhood with NO carseats quite well. While I never took my kids in our car without a carseat, lugging one for a 15 min. trip seems a bit much for some! Lighten up!

I don't think it's a matter of people are upset! I think the OP asked a question and simply got a response that she did not like....! C'mon, really CB? Even my 65 year old mother would make me 'lug a carseat' if it meant the safety of her granddaughter...!

I really think this is an individuals decision. Every parent makes calculated risks with their children at some point in their lives. I was the only one in my family that wanted to bring the carseat. My husband, mom, and stepdad all thought I was nuts. So, we compromised. We aren't taking any taxis in Nassau. Everywhere we go will be within walking distance.

I really think this is an individuals decision. Every parent makes calculated risks with their children at some point in their lives. I was the only one in my family that wanted to bring the carseat. My husband, mom, and stepdad all thought I was nuts. So, we compromised. We aren't taking any taxis in Nassau. Everywhere we go will be within walking distance.

I agree because I did the exact same thing with my kids in Nassau (and in St.Thomas for that matter). I took the water taxi to Paradise Island to avoid taking a taxi without a car seat.

In St.Thomas (when my oldest was 2) we stayed in port and walked everywhere.

But that's not what this person is asking. They are asking for permission to leave the car seat on the ship. That's a risk that I hope the parents of the baby overrule. :(

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or

drank while they were pregnant. They took aspirin, ate blue

cheese dressing, tuna from a can and didn't get tested for

diabetes. Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our

tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-base

paints. We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles,

locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes,

we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats,

no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and

sometimes no brakes. Riding in the back of a pick- up truck

on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. We

shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle

and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon. We drank

Kool-Aid made with real white sugar. And, we weren't overweight.

WHY?

Because we were always outside playing...that's why! We would

leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were

back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And, we were O.K. We would

spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride

them down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

After running into the bushes a few times,we learned to solve

the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's and X-boxes. There

were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies

or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no

personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms.

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and

there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did

not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games

with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it

would happen, we did no put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked

on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked

to them. Little League had tryouts and not everyone made

the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with

disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was

unheard of. They actually sided with the law! These

Generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem

solvers and inventors ever. The past 50 years have been

an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we

learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of them? CONGRATULATIONS! You might want to

share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as

kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much

of our lives for our own good.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors,

doesn't it ?

We are cruising with our DGD in Mar of this year and are wondering if we will be able / or are legally required to use a car seat in a taxi in Nassau? Thanks. DD

As you can see in my original post I asked if I would be able to use a car seat and if it is legally required in Nassau. Nowhere did I mention that I did not want to use a car seat. In fact, I did want to use a car seat, but actually didn't know whether they even allowed car seats in Bahamian taxis. This is not the U.S. and they do not have to abide by U.S. laws or safety matters.

I must say that I am offended by the derogatory comments and assumptions made against me by poster #2. Hopefully, an apology will be forthcoming?? :o

Regardless, I would like to leave you all with this: Think twice before you criticize someone and read twice before you post :D DD

As you can see in my original post I asked if I would be able to use a car seat and if it is legally required in Nassau. Nowhere did I mention that I did not want to use a car seat. In fact, I did want to use a car seat, but actually didn't know whether they even allowed car seats in Bahamian taxis. This is not the U.S. and they do not have to abide by U.S. laws or safety matters.

I must say that I am offended by the derogatory comments and assumptions made against me by poster #2. Hopefully, an apology will be forthcoming?? :o

Regardless, I would like to leave you all with this: Think twice before you criticize someone and read twice before you post :D DD

Able means "Ability to do so"....so is a parent physically able to use a car seat in Nassau, the answer is yes. It is a car. The cars look just like the ones in the US. Most of them do have seatbelts in them.

It is not legally required, which I have mentioned here 3 times already.

Don't wait for that apology, I stand by what I said. Or I wouldn't have typed it.

Archived