Carry on Champagne, etc.

CalCruzer

Leaving out of SFO on 4/17/09 for Mexican Riviera. I know that Princess has no problem with bringing on 2 bottles of wine per couple. However, we will be 3 days at sea so I would like to bring at least one or 2 more. If we do that, has anyone experienced problems bringing on wine or champagne when reboarding at ports? I would really like to bring on a case and that should last the whole trip. Please give me your experience with bringing wine/beer on board. My DH prefers beer and would like to bring some onboard. I'm trying to figure out how to do it. I know you guys have been there, done that so I'd appreciate your input.;)

Leaving out of SFO on 4/17/09 for Mexican Riviera. I know that Princess has no problem with bringing on 2 bottles of wine per couple. However, we will be 3 days at sea so I would like to bring at least one or 2 more. If we do that, has anyone experienced problems bringing on wine or champagne when reboarding at ports? I would really like to bring on a case and that should last the whole trip. Please give me your experience with bringing wine/beer on board. My DH prefers beer and would like to bring some onboard. I'm trying to figure out how to do it. I know you guys have been there, done that so I'd appreciate your input.;)

It used to be easy to just slap a luggage tag on a case of wine or champange and have it delivered to your room, or carry it on. But with them tightening the limits now, you just never know. If you try it, just be prepared to have the excess held until the last night onboard. Good luck!

How many carryons are you taking? The reason I ask is that on longer crusies, we place 2 bottles in each carryon and have not had a problem, i.e. two in my rolling carryon, two in my large "beach bag" type carryon, two in my husband's rolling carryon and two in the smaller of his carryons, whether it be a briefcase or camera bag. Never had a problem.

In LA, back in 2007, we filled an entire rolling carryon with wine and beer and had absolutely no problem. Don't know if we were lucky or they didn't care, but we haven't had reason to take that much with us since.

We just don't drink as much anymore.:o:)

We were on the Star Princess in October and brought 7 bottles of "champers" for our 10-day Mexican Riviera cruise. We're local to San Francisco so we just split the bottles up between our 2 small roll-on bags. Security couldn't have cared less. Yes, 7 bottles for 10 days meant we forgot to bring 3 bottles! :rolleyes:

We sailed on the Dawn from San Francisco in 2007. Stopped at Safeway the day before and we carried on 8 bottles of wine in our carry-ons (4 bottles each). No one batted an eye. Read your cruise contract. It does not state one bottle each. It states "Passengers hereby agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption." We complied. Bon Voyage!

Just rec'd 2009 Alaska brochure last week it clearly said "you may bring one bottle of wine and/or champage onboard to celebrate a special occasion. Wine and/or champage brought onboard and consumed in the dinning rooms or alternative restaurants will be subject to a $15.00 per bottle corkage fee. Which subject to change."

Just rec'd 2009 Alaska brochure last week it clearly said "you may bring one bottle of wine and/or champage onboard to celebrate a special occasion. Wine and/or champage brought onboard and consumed in the dinning rooms or alternative restaurants will be subject to a $15.00 per bottle corkage fee. Which subject to change."

Brochures are brochures. I was quoting from the "Passage Contract" which we received yesterday for our April cruise. We sailed from Venice to Ft Lauderdale aboard the Emerald Princess in October 2008. In each Italian port we carried on 3 or 4 bottles. The typical comment from security was "What time is the party and which stateroom?" We also purchased wine in the dining room for the first 7 or 8 nights. After that we often brought a local wine to dinner. We were never charged a corkage fee. We were however charged a corkage fee on other cruises. We always bring several bottles of wine each on board. We've never been questioned. Bon Voyage!

Archived