Anyone see travel alert for mexico

mandakate42

anyone else see it?..i know it mainly is talking about the border area...but still tells you to stick together ...stay in areas where tourist are abundant and never be out after dark...

good thing most ships leave before dark and this is why I usually book through the cruise ship (excursions) feel a little safer, though not 100% safe anytime, anywhere.

With Mexico government about to collapse......seriously.....with cartels and gangs largely in control in many areas, combined with 8,000 border murders in past 12 months.......

........our feeling's become: a stop in Mexico ?? FORGET ABOUT IT !!!!!!!!!

anyone else see it?..i know it mainly is talking about the border area...but still tells you to stick together ...stay in areas where tourist are abundant and never be out after dark...

It is not "mainly" about the border towns....it is about the border towns.

Not affecting anything in, on or near the Yucatan......at any time, by anybody.

This violence is between warring drug factions, drug dealers and users.

I have to disagree. It is not just about the border towns. Shortly before our cruise in September, we were reading articles about duffle bags of severed heads being thrown into bars in Merida, which is just a short drive from Progreso.

:eek::eek::eek: WHAT??? I am headed to Progresso and Cozumel!!!!!!!!!!!!! Should I be worried??

As long as you use common sense you are safe anywhere a cruise ship goes in Mexico. You are much safer than in most cities in the US. The violence you hear about is not directed toward tourists. This is gang related drug wars with millions of dollars at stake.

No worries.

MexicoBob

Actually, what is funny about the article is this:

"The alert does not recommend staying away from the country or any particular part of it, but advises American to stay away from prostitution and drug-dealing areas."

As long as you aren't looking for action or "refreshments", you should (hopefully) be okay!! :rolleyes:

As long as you use common sense you are safe anywhere a cruise ship goes in Mexico. You are much safer than in most cities in the US. The violence you hear about is not directed toward tourists. This is gang related drug wars with millions of dollars at stake.

No worries.

MexicoBob

Criminals have followed and harassed U.S. citizens traveling in their vehicles in border areas including Nuevo Laredo, Matamoros, and Tijuana.

Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades. Large firefights have taken place in many towns and cities across Mexico but most recently in northern Mexico, including Tijuana, Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez. During some of these incidents, U.S. citizens have been trapped and temporarily prevented from leaving the area.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_3028.html

While cruisers generally aren't going to these areas, the problems there could and have affected tourists. ;)

This is good to know. Thanks to the OP for posting. We're planning a trip to Cancun and I am glad I am more in the know. I thought this warning had been lifted.

From what I've read, this isn't going to affect the average cruiser or those visiting the tourist traps like Cancun, but you never can predict these things and it's always better to be in the know about what's what.

I love how people get so freaked out about other countries but they quickly forget how dangerous America is.

Washington DC ranks 21st among dangerous city in America.

21'st is the average for DC. When Congress is in session the ranking goes way up. When Congress is out of town the ranking is very low.

Not affecting anything in' date=' on or near the Yucatan......at any time, by anybody.[/quote']

Here are just a few articles from our local paper this month.

Violence, corruption show not all of Cancun is pristine

Drug cartel suspect arrested in general's Cancun death

Cancun's police chief hauled away by Mexican troops

Retired Mexican general shot to death near Cancun

Something tells me your idea of "rational" would differ from mine.

The problem our nation suffers from is not the differences in our opinions but the lack of discussion about what we are doing and the impact it is having on our society.

Tourism is Cozumel's main business. When I spent the day with a local touring the island he pointed out the numerous law enforcement agencies on the island. They are all there to protect us the tourist. I would not hesitate to walk around downtown after dark, but I would not travel to the east side at that time of day. Relax and enjoy your day. :)

i agree that there are plenty of violent cities in our nation...but i dont think anyone is killing and threatening to kill a cop every two days if the chief of police doesnt resign..which he did yesterday in the largest city in mexico..things are a little out of hand...i have been to cozumel before and im not really worried about being there..just wondered everyone elses opinion on this matter.

Archived