Norovirus Strikes Quest

Grachar

Linda,

We are on the cruise AFTER you (Singapore to Athens). Jennie (AussieGal) also said that hers was the LAST cruise for Capt. Carl Smith.

I'm CRUSHED. We cruised with him on the Journey on his LAST cruise as staff captain. When all of "us passengers" got off the ship, Captn. Carl took the helm of the ship.

I was hoping against hope to sail with him again.

We will be leaving March 12 to fly to Auckland where we will be on the HAL Volendam from Auckland to Singapore where we will pick up the Quest 3 days later.

:D I'll wave to you as you get off and we get on.:D

Yes Lois,

I am gutted that he will be leaving after the current cruise ends:(

I fly too on March 12th. Feel free to email me whilst you are on the Volendam if you want any info on the ship:) lobbylin-email@yahoo.co.uk

I am on the March 14th sailing Tianjin to HK, so there must be one more cruise between ours HK to Singapore?

Linda

I just looked at the roll call and disappointed to see the comments. We are booked on the Quest for next February and I am now having doubts. We were on Celebrity last year and I thought the customer service was poor (mainly pre-cruise staff) but did have waiters telling us not to forget the comment cards and "good is not good enough" was not classy at all. I thought being given 12 envelopes for tips was tacky as well (6 for my daughters cabin - we had pre-paid our gratuities but do generally give extra). I understand norvirous is not the ships fault but when passengers talk of other issues with staff it has me concerned. If only HAL had not taken the Rotterdam out of Asia we would be booked on her...Someone else we know who has been on over 40 cruises had a cruise on Journey which they rank as their number 1 cruise.

There are lots of different threads relating to feedback on the recent Quest cruises, try to read them all.

If you are not happy, no-one will say you were wrong to cancel....

I have just had emails from 2 separate people who are currently on the Quest and both are saying that so far there has been no signs of any Norovirus outbreak on board on this sailing, which is great news!:)

Linda

Someone else we know who has been on over 40 cruises had a cruise on Journey which they rank as their number 1 cruise.

That doesn't surprise me based on the very good experience we had on Quest.:)

Linda that is indeed good news. All that bleach must have worked.

L

I must have spoken too soon, I have just heard from Miagirl on the current sailing that she knows of a quarantined cabin...

To be honest, I not surprised that Noro would not be eradicated completely, so a few cases are to be expected.

Linda :)

I had an email from Aussiegal which says:

"Gradually everything is returning to normal. The ship is thoroughly cleaned of all norovirus and everyone has to wipe their hands before eating etc. There were over 170 people ill on the last cruise and that is why the CDC stepped in. Today, we have salt and pepper shakers on our tables and sugar and jams."

I am much more contented about our upcoming Quest cruise, but still intend to be very prudent about cleanliness and intend to give my own cabin a bit of a spring clean with anti-viral cleaners!:D

Linda :)

CDC? I think I must have missed something. How did the CDC step in?:eek:

Smooth sailing...

CDC? I think I must have missed something. How did the CDC step in?:eek:

Smooth sailing...

Sorry, I don't know - I just posted the info I was given...:)

We don't have the term CDC here in the UK, so I confess I am not entirely sure what it means.:o

I have just had emails from 2 separate people who are currently on the Quest and both are saying that so far there has been no signs of any Norovirus outbreak on board on this sailing, which is great news!:)

Linda

As one of the mistreated and N-virus afflicted on the Feb 14th trip, I'm happy to hear the folks onboard are healthy and the cleaning worked.

I believe the American CDC gets involved when more than 5% of the ship gets sick... given the percentage was more like 25 for the Beijing to HK route, I know it was to become a top priority for them, and for Azamara.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! Everyone you know got sick in China? We were there with a group of 16 and NO ONE was ill in almost 3 weeks, except for one woman who had a known asthma problem. I carry Purel hand sanitizer clipped to my purse and use it constantly, particularly after handling things in stores, opening doors, reading menus, etc. And I take the wipes to use on remote controls and telephones in hotels. I remember giggling about an elderly aunt who used to do this before we all learned how important such action could be. But she traveled all over the world when it wasn't easy to do and never got sick!

Archived