travel insurance

Tisha49

We decided not to get travel insurance when our TA did our booking with RCI. Now I think we might have made a mistake. Are we able to still buy some even if the cruise if booked (not thru the cruise, but independent policy?)

Thanks

We decided not to get travel insurance when our TA did our booking with RCI. Now I think we might have made a mistake. Are we able to still buy some even if the cruise if booked (not thru the cruise, but independent policy?)

Thanks

yes you can buy it until the day before you sail. whether it will cover preexisting conditions depends on the insurance company and the state you live see

http://www.insuremytrip.com

Yes, you can still get crise insurance. If you or some family member has a pre-existing condition that could force you to cancel, you need to check and make sur any insurance you buy covers that. Alot of insurance policies do not cover pre-existing conditions unless purchased with two weeks of booking.

Generally it is better if you don't buy the cruise insurance offered by the cruise company, as often their policies are written in such a way as to cover them totally should you have to cancel the cruise for any reason,

whereas insurance bought independently can cover many more options, and often be significantly less expensive. The only catch is that for many pre-existing health conditions you would need to have bought insurance within a week or so of your booking. The site folks offered is good. We always use TravelGuard, mainly because I've been too lazy to shop around.. :)

I think it is always better to book independently for a number of reasons. First, if you want to insure all parts of your vacation including air, hotel, etc, you can't unless you either get cruise air or book your insurance independently. Another benefit is cancel-for-any-reason coverage. For about $100 extra you can get a rider that lets you cancel for reasons beyond illness or death in the family. Finally, cruise lines offer one policy only, whereas if you go to insuremytrip.com they will let you compare and contrast the different companies to suit your individual needs.

Archived