London to Dover-Sightseeing Along The Way?

Good Evening:

During a September, I will be arranging a private transfer from London to Dover for a cruise. I'd like to make this day much more than just a port transfer. I'd like to do touring along the way and have a leisurely lunch. I'd plan to leave London around 7-8am. And, be at Dover Port by 3pm latest for a 5pm sailing.

I remember some names here on this thread who helped me plan a similar transfer/tour day out of London to S'hampton in 2007! And it was a huge success thanks to many here who popped in with ideas. My driver that day put all the suggestions together and it was an excellent day and a

fine lunch.

So.......if you'll give a look to the London-Dover route I'd likely take, I'd love your suggestions as to how to make this half day special, not just a drive to Dover from London. I see possibilities...Canterbury, Leeds, Dover Castle, etc. But, since I'm unfamiliar with the route/timing/value of certain sites/etc. I'd love some advice in planning.

If YOU had just a day and a car driver (7am-3pm)to traverse from London to Dover, where would you suggest I stop to explore, have lunch, etc.?

Thanks, Martha

We did something similar a couple of years ago, but spent two nights in a B&B in Kent. Here were our highlights:

1. Chartwell - Winston Churchill's country home. It is not only beautiful but the exhibitions on Churchill's life there were fascinating, as was seeing his artist's studio in the beautiful gardens. It is in northern Kent, just off the M25 as I recall.

2. Sissinghurst Castle. The gardens here are stunning. I wouldn't miss this for all the world! It was the country house of Nigel Nicolson and Vita Sackville-West.

We did go to Leeds Castle. It is very pretty BUT the problem I had was that in order to get from the gatehouse to the Castle you must walk for around 30 minutes on a path of very hard asphalt. This walk was a disaster for me since it started some arthritis that sparks up sometimes and the pain was with me, as a result, all through our cruise. Too bad we discovered in leaving the castle that there was a shuttle bus to take you to and from the gate!!! I was furious that it wasn't better signposted at the entrance, or that the ticketseller had not mentioned it. So if you go, take the shuttle - but you will have to ask where it is!

I personally don't think that Dover castle is worthwhile. But if you go to Chartwell and then Sissinghurst you will need to hurry along to your ship!

London - Dover has less options than London - Southampton that are worthwhile.

The tourist trail places you have already have identified Canterbury. Leeds Castle and Dover Castle.

If you want a nice 'English' day out I'd personally go for Chartwell too. The countryside around Chartwell is top drawer. Perhaps combine with nearby Hever Castle or go down to Bodiam Castle and take a short steam train ride on the Kent and East Sussex railway to Tenterdon from there. Chartwell has an excellent Tea Room and there are many good countryside pubs in the area.

If you are into history I'd just stick to Canterbury and get your driver to give you a brief walk along the top of Dover cliffs with your cruise ship far down below in the harbour.

Good Evening to Hambagahle & handfordr:

I'm glad that Chartwell came up. The only tourist guide for England that I own is Rick Steves'. While I've heard about Chartwell, it isn't even in his index and I really did not know exactly where it was.

Interestingly, on my only other trip to London, I ended up on the WRONG bus for a day trip out and PASSED Blenheim and got taken to Warwicke Castle! Imagine that. So, Blenheim is on my "must do", "day out" itinerary this time.

Chartwell would, therefore, be a great addition/stop for me on this drive. Nice complement. Esp. since it seems it also provides my other interests: nice countryside drive & good pub lunch! :)

Chartwell apparently does not open until 11am. So, that is likely the only

stop I'll be able to make? Leave London later, Chartwell, then lunch, then ship?

As for the White Cliffs..........I'd dearly love to walk on them, just for a bit. But, I believe I will see them at sailaway from Dover? Unless you all

know a quick overlook/stop on the way to Port I can point the driver to.

Martha

The National Trust have a visitor centre for the White Cliffs of Dover, just along from Dover Castle. Its a fine viewpoint directly above the ferry terminal and port at Dover and you'll get a fine photo of your cruise ship down below.

You can walk as far as you want along the cliffs from here.

Archived