Lake Como area

Yes, we (my wife and I) have spent a fair amount of time on Como (and the ther other lakes). We prefer Lake Maggiore, but Como is the "classic" lake to visit. How you are you getting there (and from where) and how you you getting to the next place (and where)? I ask because it will be a bit of a trip from or to any port. As much as we like the Lakes, I would not usually recommend the hassle of getting to threre and back again in 24-hours.

If you do go, Como (the city) will be your bet bet as the transportation to/from Milan is faster and easier than anywhere else. As to recommended hotels... well, poricing range from reasonable to Saudi prince level. What are you thinking of spending?

I love Lake Como. From Milan there is a train that runs to Varenna every hour or so. It takes one hour by train from Milan- Varenna. I suggest booking a room in Varenna if you are only there for one night. This way you can settle into your room and then take the ferries to criss-cross the lake over to Bellagio, which is a short ferry ride and where I actually stayed- and loved!!

But Varenna is very, very nice. Book a room close to the train station because you won't see taxis there. It is a very quiet station and most people walk to their hotels or make arrangements with the hotel to have someone pick them up.

The hotel I would recommend would be the Hotel Barretta, which is next to the train station. When I was there in 2003 (I was 38, my son 15) we found it a bit of a trudge with luggage walking up the hill from the ferry to the Varenna train station. So I think it best to stay by the station and walk down to the town and explore-free of luggage. Anywhere you stay in Varenna will have great views of the water and will be charming.

You will fall in love with Lake Como!

We were there last year and it is as beautiful as advertised. A one night trip though seems a challenge, since as others have noted, it is not easy to reach quickly. Once you get there, you'll want to drive around, so in addition to the train, you might want to rent a car in Milan and drive instead. A word of caution: finding a place to fill up the rental car on return to Milan airport is near impossible, so plan on paying hefty gas fees.

Rather than a day, you might consider a few nights, which would allow you to take the ferry across to Bellagio (the city, not the Las Vegas hotel), as well as run up to Lugano, Switzerland, which is only about 20 miles away. If you can't stay for the night, try tea at Villa d' Este near Cernobbio. Beautiful grounds, and you can walk up the hill to the "tower" overlooking the lake and the grounds. There is also a charming restaurant in Cernobbio that overlooks the lake, glass walls for a constant view, excellent food and reasonable prices.

First of all- I would not suggest renting a car and driving to Lake Como. It took us two hours by taxi because the cab driver didn't know where he was going (and he lives in Italy!). So no, I don't suggest driving period.

There is no reason to drive to Lake Como. The train to Varenna is only one hour and they run hourly. It is very easy and scenic by train. Once there- the beauty of the place is being able to criss cross the lake and see the various villages.

If you only want to do one night there- it will be fine. Naturally it is a beautiful area that deserves more time but if you are limited to one night it is doable and enjoyable. Lovely and much different from other areas in Italy.

I would not recommend the town of Como- it isn't as charming. If you do a day trip from Milan just take the train to Varenna, walk down to the waterfront, have a nice cup of coffee and then take the ferry (very easy) to Bellagio and eat in one of the quaint restaurants there. Food is delicious! Then walk around the town. It is very tranquil and quaint.

Thanks for the thought on this. We are flying into Milan and spending one night. We had thought maybe go to Como for one night and then train on to Venice for a night before the cruise. Sounds like maybe we should spend two nights in Milan and just do a day trip up to Varenna and ferry over to Bellagio. Never enough time to do everything we want is there.

Barbara

Lake Como is beautiful, and really does merit more than one day's visit. However, I wouldn't write off visiting for a day from Milan ............. it will give you a taste for it and a pleasant time.

Two ways of getting to Lake Como from Milan, either with the state railway line which takes you into COMO ST GIOVANNI which overlooks the town and takes about 15 mins walk to the lakeside. There are plenty of taxis available - ask for LAGO EMBARCADERO and you'll be dropped off very centrally. The train takes about 30 mins and leaves from MILANO CENTRALE.

The alternative is the private line COMO-MILANO NORD, which takes 1 hour and leaves from MILANO CARDONA STATION, and arrives at its terminus at the lakeside.

Things to see in the town - and I think you might enjoy a moment of relaxation!!

* Como Cathedral

* Alessandro Volta Museum (he invented the Voltaic Pile, a component of batteries)

* The streets of the old town and various shops

* Lovely cafés and DELICIOUS ice creams!!

* Funicular railway to Brunate - a hill overlooking Como with a lighthouse!

* Botanical gardens at Cernobbio - only one or two stops on the lake bus, or by regular bus

* Take a pedalo out on the lake yourselves

* Take a short circular boat trip on the lake - check the timetables to make sure you get the timings right ...... Como to Moltrasio and Torno (or Torno and Moltrasio depending on the routing) and then back to Como - about an hour.

From what Milan's train station (Cardona or Centrale) we take a train to Varenna? Is it direct or we need to change the train? What about to town of Como?

We'll do a day trip and I'm trying to optomize it. Your suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

Hi Polina, I see you are wondering about the same thing. We are now thinking we will change our arrangement and spend two nights in Milan and do the day trip too Como area, spending one night pre-cruise in Venice instead of two.

Barbara

Varenna is the best train and it runs every hour and no, you don't need to transfer. The reason I recommend Varenna (as others do) is because you could go to Como (still a 40 minute train ride), which isn't very charming. Nothing special. And then you will have to take the hydrofoil up to Bellagio, which is really the jewel of Lake Como- and not over-rated. It is lovely! But Varenna is also very charming, clean and unspoiled and from here you take a little ferry over to Bellagio or you can criss cross the lake to other pretty towns.

There is a reason why George Clooney has a home on Lake Como- its beautiful.

Just to complicate matters:

If I were doing this (which I would not since there is no way I'd spend only 1 day at the Lakes), I'd go directly from Malpensa airport to the lake and spend the second, rather than the first night in Milan. There is direct bus service between the airport and Varenna and connecting train service.

I was told that there were buses to Como from Malpensa and at 7:30AM when I arrived there were no buses at all. We waited in the cold and none came. So we took a very expensive taxi ride to Bellagio!

Anyway, there is train service to Milan and then the train to Varenna.

I have been to both Milan, Como, Bellagio and Varenna and I think that you would enjoy Lake Como better than Milan. I would just head straight to Varenna. I agree that two nights there would be best.

Hi Barbara,

I think I've answered my own question. There is a train from Milan Centrale (and that's where our hotel is located).

I saw your post on our roll call (ready to give up - since it's the most passive one I've ever join on CC).

I don't have any info on the other 2 hotels you consider. Trip advisor is probably the best bet. Do try to contact my place directly. It's takes a while (I've even called them), but definitely worth it.

Talk to you on the roll call.

Polina.

Has anyone gone to Como by way of Switzerland? We are arriving in Zurich and are thinking of staying overnight in Como in our way to Venice. I am wondering if it would be best to get on a boat in Como and go to Verenna rather than stay in Como?

Has anyone gone to Como by way of Switzerland? We are arriving in Zurich and are thinking of staying overnight in Como in our way to Venice. I am wondering if it would be best to get on a boat in Como and go to Verenna rather than stay in Como?
There are two great alternative ways to get from Zurich to Como.

The first (which has two variations) is to take the train from Zurich to Chur, and then the beautiful and scenic Bernina Express train from there to Tirano (just across from the Swiss border)--one of the great train rides in the world. Consider spending the night midway in St. Moritz or Pontresina (we prefer the latter). From Tirano, you can plan the rest of the trip two different ways--continue on the second part of the Bernina Express trip by bus past Lake Como to Lugano (also a very nice overnight stay), or change trains in Tirano to go to Varenna (direct) or Como (change trains in Lecco or Monza). I'd prefer Varenna (or take the short boat ride from there to Bellagio), and then travel around Lake Como by boat, as suggested above.

The second is to take a different train route from Zurich through Zug, Bellinzona and Lugano to Como. This route also has magnificent scenery. I would prefer staying in Lugano to Como. You can take a short bus ride from Lugano to Menaggio on Lake Como, take a boat from there to Bellagio, another from Bellagio to Como, and then stay overnight in Como or take the train back to Lugano as an easy circle tour.

Varenna, Lugano and Como are each a reasonable train ride (with one change) to Venice via Milan. Consider a stop in Verona on the way.

Les

We took the train from Lugano to Zurich a few years ago and it was a gorgeous trip! Lugano is a lovely little town on a beautiful lake. We stayed at a gorgeous hotel a short walk outside of the town center. It was called Grand Hotel Villa Castagnola au lac. http://www.slh.com/switzerland/lugano/hotel_lacswi.html Make sure you take a ferry ride around the lake to see all the charming towns around the lake.

• 1 month later...

We highly, highly recommend the Hotel Florence in Bellagio. We had a room with a terrace overlooking the lake--magical!

In addition to the great suggestions above, we recommend the steamer boats on the lake to stop at different villages. And if you have time, visiting one of the historic villas that are open to the public (for a small fee) is a great experience.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Barbara and Sandbug,

DH and I flew into Zurich from US, stayed one night and took the train from Zurich to Como. We took a short taxi ride from the main train station to the Hotel Terminus overlooking Lake Como (it is across the street, no lake views). We took the ferry from Como to all of the Lake stops, Bellagio, etc. We spent several hours in Bellagio, shopping (the shopping in Como area is the cheapest in Italy). I bought a designer bag and "stuff". We then took the train from Como to Venice via Milan.... choosing the train that stopped in Milano Centrale, but we did not have to change trains (chose this purposefully).

Although I had heard that the other lakes and cities were more scenic b/c Como is a working town, it was full of locals (Milanese) and made for an easy trip without hauling luggage everywhere. We stayed more than one night, but with the easy train schedule you could do one night and not feel rushed.

You can easily get to Como from Milan and yes you have to go back through Milan to get to Venice; the trip that does not require a change of train is in the early afternoon just after hotel checkout.

Archived