question about tipping

arlee

It was my understanding that they were included in the tip pool. It says that service people that are not necessarily your assigned person are in the pool. It would not hurt to give them a few bucks extra but I do think they are compensated. And as far as taking the auto payment off, it is not mean if you prefer to give them the tip yourself. We use the auto because it is convenient but I knew one cruiser that wanted to hand them the cash. He said he thought they appreciated it more and he knew it went to the service people instead of letting management determine the disbursement.

You could use the

Cruise tip calculator

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

Suggested rates vary by cruise line, but typical gratuities are as follows:

Stateroom attendant$3.50/day per guest

Dining room waiter$3.50 /day per guest

Assistant waiter$2.00/day per guest Headwaiter$.75/day per guest

Dining manager Discretionary

Room service Discretionary

Bar bills always include a 15% gratuity

When automatic tipping is used, tips are automatically applied to your cruise bill based on the ship's tipping guidelines.

Some room service attendants are also dining room stewards, so they would be included in the auto pool (though I would still tip them for the room service)...others are not included if they are just learning how to interact with guests and this is their first assignment with guests (I learned this on a galley tour with the maitre d.) So I think some are included and some aren't depending on what else they do on the ship...but either way, I always tip for room service.

Delivering room service is EXTRA duty that they sign up for. so even if they are a waiter and so, [in the tip pool] that is for their dining room work not running you room service trays, They do this to earn extra money and they do it on their own time. So yes you tip for room service unless you have a suite and your butler brings it and then you are tipping him separately anyway.

Archived